U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:42 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! I plan on reworking my budget tomorow and seeing if I can have room to up the budget to 200 for food.

I am saving money on gas as my job is like 5 mins away from my house
That is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:12 PM

506 posts, read 414,262 times
Just because you spend 100-140$ per month doesn't mean you eat like crap...

Again, one of my normal meals:

All here is homemade... dinner for 3 ... took me 3-4 potatoes, which i usually buy 10 lbs for $2 ... 3 carrots chopped which for a lb not even 1 $ ...

And then 3 Ribeyes that I took from a rib roast that was for sale at 3 $ a lb... 10 oz steak ... so this is not even a $2 per MEAL considering 1.5$ ribeye portion and the rest for potatoes and carrots which 50 cents is too much.

These french fries are healthy since i cut them myself in 1 minute and cooked them in the oven so no deep frying

Old 06-04-2017, 07:58 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post

All here is homemade... dinner for 3 ... took me 3-4 potatoes, which i usually buy 10 lbs for $2 ... 3 carrots chopped which for a lb not even 1 $ ...

And then 3 Ribeyes that I took from a rib roast that was for sale at 3 $ a lb... 10 oz steak ... so this is not even a $2 per MEAL considering 1.5$ ribeye portion and the rest for potatoes and carrots which 50 cents is too much.

These french fries are healthy since i cut them myself in 1 minute and cooked them in the oven so no deep frying
I do not exceed $160 per month on groceries. I guess it is doable especially if the things you like are on sell. I walk around with a calculator to ensure I do not exceed $40 per week. I got lamb and chicken. Lamb is really expensive.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 AM

535 posts, read 223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not exceed $160 per month on groceries. I guess it is doable especially if the things you like are on sell. I walk around with a calculator to ensure I do not exceed $40 per week. I got lamb and chicken. Lamb is really expensive.
Thanks! I might start doing some food shopping at target as I get cartwheel and that is extra savings on things I would already buy.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:

That looks great...minus the ribeye haha (I don't eat red meats). Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 PM

506 posts, read 414,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
That looks great...minus the ribeye haha (I don't eat red meats). Thanks for sharing.
Ohhh the pain... its just oh so good i could never give it up! I eat everything though... love fish... love veggies and greens. I have an all around, fully balanced mediterranean diet in essence

Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
It depends on what you can afford and where you live. I'd say $200 a month for a single person is probably reasonable.
We spend about $100 a week for two people and buy anything we want to so I agree with your figures. That does not include meals out. We have gone on vacations where we ate out a lot and ended up spending less than when we are at home. Guess we were too busy to eat.

We have a subway at the corner and if I lived by myself, their daily specials would probably take care of me since they are for foot longs. I would eat my normal breakfast and a half sub for lunch and dinner. My husband has to have exactly the right sub if he eats one. So that does not work for the both of us.

We seldom eat the same food for our meals. I am a short order cook and don't mind that at all.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We spend about $100 a week for two people and buy anything we want to so I agree with your figures. That does not include meals out. We have gone on vacations where we ate out a lot and ended up spending less than when we are at home. Guess we were too busy to eat.

We have a subway at the corner and if I lived by myself, their daily specials would probably take care of me since they are for foot longs. I would eat my normal breakfast and a half sub for lunch and dinner. My husband has to have exactly the right sub if he eats one. So that does not work for the both of us.

We seldom eat the same food for our meals. I am a short order cook and don't mind that at all.
Yes...there are two of us, and we spend about $200 once a month at Aldi (a town over...we could probably live off of this for a month if necessary) and about $25-$50 a week on other assorted groceries...fresh dairy/produce/bread from week to week, stuff they don't carry at Aldi, stuff that we don't like at Aldi, stuff we run out of throughout the month, stuff we want to pick up for a recipe or that we're craving...

So that's $300-$400 a month on groceries...but that includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.

We do eat out some but have cut back significantly, except when we're traveling. When we do eat out, that's not considered in the food budget...it's either "entertainment" or "travel," depending.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 PM

6,311 posts, read 7,994,152 times
Beans are very filling, very healthy (full of fiber), have some protein, and are super cheap. In fact for Diabetics, eating 1/2 c of beans every day has been shown to lower blood glucose/A1C over time. This was shared with me by a nutritionist who specializes in Diabetes education.

So learn to make some easy dishes, big pots of yummy soups, eat fresh foods, shop for groceries around the perimeter of a grocery store, which helps avoid all the processed junk, no need to eat meat or chicken or fish more than a couple times a week. A whole-food diet is healthy, relatively cost efficient, has lots of variety and can be quite delicious.

I would think you could easily manage on $180 - $200 a month for all food expenses especially if you're willing to do some cooking.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Ohhh the pain... its just oh so good i could never give it up! I eat everything though... love fish... love veggies and greens. I have an all around, fully balanced mediterranean diet in essence
I eat chicken now. I use to be a vegetarian, but all the raw veggies and soy was messing with my colitis. Since I cut out sou and my raw veggie intake I've been feeling pretty good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or