U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 06:30 PM

382 posts, read 301,953 times

Advertisements

Where is the person living where fish is cheap?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
The good news I've been cutting back on how much I eat. I've lost 30 pounds and I want to maintain that and maybe lose 10 more so I could deal with less food.

I do like to eat pizza, BBQ chicken sandwiches, egg sandwiches. I like simple things that are easy to make and don't have a ton of clean up. Plus I like being able to have leftovers to take for lunch when my PB&J gets boring.
Pizza definitely isn't the healthiest, but from a frugal standpoint...frozen is much cheaper than getting it from a pizza place. I just bought three frozen pizzas at Food Lion...they were 3/$10, so $3.33 a piece. I do like having them on hand because hubby REALLY loves pizza, and it's easy to spend $10+ getting it at a pizza place. Plus, they're handy to have around on busy nights.

You can easily make shredded BBQ chicken in a slow cooker. Try making it in bulk. Put a few pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (I prefer dark meat myself, but many do breasts) and just a splash of liquid...water is fine, or do chicken broth. Cook it on low for a few hours until it shreds easily -- about 5-6 hours on low usually, but it depends on your slow cooker, since some "cook hotter" than others. Then, drain off the liquid and shred the meat with two forks, then put it back in the slow cooker. Pour on your favorite BBQ sauce and let it cook for about 30 mins on high or until the sauce is hot. You can easily divide this into individual servings and freeze.

Soup is a GREAT choice, although it's too blasted hot for it right now. Easy to make on the stove or in the slow cooker -- tons of recipes on Pinterest and elsewhere online -- eat, bring some for lunch, leave a little to snack on in the fridge, then freeze the rest. Try to avoid creamy soups if you're going to be freezing, and choose broth-based soups instead.

Try roasting a chicken one night -- it might seem intimidating, but it's incredibly easy. Eat it for dinner with simple sides -- you can do a "baked" potato in the microwave and steam some broccoli. Leftovers can go on a salad or in a wrap for lunch the next day. Then, the rest of the leftovers can be bagged up and frozen individually for future meals. Some can be put into a soup that can also be eaten over multiple meals and frozen.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 PM

6,448 posts, read 2,346,379 times
People who don't eat much, don't spend as much on food.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,276,254 times
Default Gross or net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Figuring out how much to spend on food can be really tricky, because although food is a necessity, how much you spend is up to you - there's really no right or wrong number.
It has to be more related to your budget, not what other people spend on food.
I would say, it should be about 15% of your income. But if you want to be frugal, it can stay in a 10% range.
Is that 15% of gross or net income?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Default How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
we have always ate WELL on $100/ month
single, couple, family (of 4+)
I don't see how that is possible. I'm single, not overweight or anything, and even I haven't been able to live on that low amount. How is that possible. Is the $4.99 Costco chicken the only meat source that you eat for the entire month?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
It depends on what you can afford and where you live. I'd say $200 a month for a single person is probably reasonable.
Glad that someone else thinks so too. That's about my monthly budget for a food as a single person.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:45 PM

595 posts, read 354,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryb41 View Post
To those who wonder what it would be like spending, say, $140 per month on groceries. Take 140 and divide it by 90 (30 days times 3 meals) and you get about $1.55 per meal. For this to work, you would need to first start out with all the basics so you're not buying sugar, flour, oil, spices, etc, all at once, which would take your whole budget. And you wouldn't be eating very healthy.

Frankly, it might be easy to eat oatmeal and an egg for breakfast, but how long can you do that? And can you eat very little calories?

Just remember to divide the dollars by 90 (meals) to see what you can spend. That is basically a fountain drink at the gas station ($140 per month).

I am wondering if those that say they spend this little are actually not including toilet paper and personal needs. And I wonder if they are eating somewhere free or growing their own garden.
It is actually possible, with some of us discussing eating cheaply in that other frugal eating thread. To me it seems like all the people saying the #s aren't possible are the ones who don't cook regularly. The people who do know how cheap it can be. I do think there is value in dining out or splurging now and then.

Cooking can be as healthy as you want it to or don't want it to be. As opposed to dining out, where the food tends to be extremely unhealthy because they overload the salts and fats to make things taste really good.

Note that you're dividing by 3, but breakfast itself can be extremely cheap. Starch, eggs, meat will not cost more than $0.50 a meal. Oatmeal cheap. toast cheap. bagel cheap. So your other 2 meals get to be around $2.00 per meal, which is a reasonable cooking budget.

toilet paper and other personal items are not included in the food budget...

spices and flour and whatever side items are basically buy as the need arises/runs out. The total cost on a per meal basis is negligible. For example, I buy a large jar of chopped garlic for ~$5? cost on a per meal basis is not even worth trying to consider. cost of 2 tbsp divided by 4 servings. say you use some salt and pepper, the cost of that is negligible. etc etc.

Last edited by rya96797; 08-07-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 PM

595 posts, read 354,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Hi,

I am going to be moving out on my own and wanted to know what you guys think the average single person spends on food? I can cook...somewhat. I will be living in PA just outside of Pittsburgh if that helps. I don't eat any red meat. I only eat chicken.

Right now I live at home, but I have gotten into the habit that if I eat out like pizza or chipotle that I save some for work lunches. Like today I had leftover veggie bowl with chips for lunch.

Thanks in advance!
if you really want to be lazy, and have a Costco membership, just buy their cooked $5 chickens. Those you can split into maybe 6 servings, possibly more depending on what you're making. Debone the chickens and freeze the excess. Now you have chicken to eat as is, perhaps with gravy and mash potatoes, perhaps in salad, perhaps in tacos, in stir frys etc. The carcass can be used to help make a good chicken stock for chicken soup, etc.

But chicken itself from the supermarket can be super cheap. Look at family pack sizing for the best pricing, freeze the excess.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM

909 posts, read 505,298 times
I think fresh is cheaper. Meaning you can buy a bag of beans/rice and make several meals and much healthier verses frozen junk. However, frozen veggies are usually on sale, keep longer, and once cooked you can eat the leftovers and incorporate into other meals. Also, buying in bulk and freezing is the way to go with meat, cheese, etc. Like someone else said, eating at home is so much healthier and inexpensive. You have to eat to live, but it does not have to break you.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 AM

3,311 posts, read 915,017 times
Two in our house, and we spend about $50-$60 a week on groceries. Of all the necessities and spending, food is the one we splurge on a bit because we mostly purchase whole/fresh foods to cook each meal instead of cheap, pre-packaged food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or