U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:04 PM

9,084 posts, read 3,701,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I love this. I want to do it! I want to grow potatoes and lettuce and celery but IDK what all I can do in a condo.....
VERTICAL VEGETABLES: "Grow Up" in a Small Garden and Confound the Cats!: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

vertical gardens don't take much space and you can do it against a wall opposite a window so it gets sunlight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,017,878 times
First: Kurig's are unhealthy (read up on them) and the coffee does not taste good - and they are expensive.

Do you like soups and stews? Because if you cook in bulk, you can save lots and lots of money.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 PM

6,308 posts, read 7,990,836 times
1. Learn to cook if you don't know how. Doesn't have to be complicated. You can make simple things.
2. Shop discount grocery stores if they are available in your area.
3. Shop farmer's markets for fresh local produce if you can. East more fruit and veggies.
4. When in a regular grocery store, only shop the perimeter, bypassing all the convenience food and processed food aisles.
5. Cut back on the amount of meat, chicken and fish you eat. Set aside 3 days a week for non-meat dinners.
6. Make big pots of soup using lots of veggies and beans. Healthy, full of protein, filling.
7. Keep tortillas on hand and fill them with all kinds of different things -- rice, beans, some cheese, tomatoes, veggies.
8. Stock up on bulk items (rice, beans, potatoes, grains).
9. Eat eggs. Good source of protein, and economical. Make omelets, hard boiled eggs for egg salad.
10. Sandwiches! PB&J or whatever you like. Make a few, wrap well, keep in freezer and you have a snack for later, on the go.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:00 AM

8,214 posts, read 9,097,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Handling your produce in a different way may help it last longer. Here are a couple of the tricks I use.

Celery will last for several weeks if you wrap it in aluminum foil. Take off a stalk or two as needed and wrap. Don't wash the stalks until needed. If you mainly use that or peppers in 'cooked' foods like soup, then maybe freezing is better. Possibly you just need to get a second freezer.

I find strawberries will often turn on me in one day too. I have better luck if I wash and handle them that day. I cut up and put them in a container with a spoon of sugar. That works for me. My neighbor cuts them up and puts them in a sealed container with a couple of paper towels. Someone else may have a better solution.

I do the same thing with celery and it lasts forever. Also with lettuce and green onions. It really works! Living alone it's hard to use things up in a 'timely manner' sometimes. I buy peppers, cut into different sizes for different uses and freeze. I also do the same as you with strawberries. I think my crisper drawers are very good as well and keep things fresh longer than some fridges I've had before.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
Don't buy non grocery items in the grocery store.

Use digital coupons. Register at the store web site.

Forget organic.

If you have a Dollar Tree use it. Stay away from the other dollar stores since they haven't been dollar stores for years.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
For fruits/vegetables, I would try to eat whatever is going to go bad first. And yes, TJ's has produce. It's not the best in terms of pricing but they usually have an okay selection.

Meat---I usually buy what is on sale and work with it. But I only buy the "good" stuff if there's a good price on it or if I really have a hankering and haven't had it in awhile.

I think you can freeze more of the stuff you make for reheating later. I buy SO many things on sale (meat, cheese, etc.) that I freeze and use at a later time. And my sister will cook on Sunday, freeze her meals for the week and then take them out as needed.

As for your Keurig, instead of buying k-cups, just buy the insert where you can put your own coffee grounds into it. Much less waste (no more k-cups), cheaper and just as simple.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM

76 posts, read 55,751 times
*live close to your fresh fruit and veggie source (grocery, farmers market, co-op, your own yard, etc)
*source a good meat and/or fish supplier and stock up - put into a deep freezer
*get to know your neighbors - who has fruit trees in their yard loaded-over with fruit never to be picked? --offer to help pick in exchange for giving them fruit and sharing with others who are in need of food
*avoid convenience foods
*learn to cook with the basics - keep meals simple and nutritious
*make a MEAL PLAN for the week

Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM

22,670 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post

I want to save an extra $100 a month. I need to make cuts somewhere to do this and ran some reports in Quicken. I spend about $500-$600 a month on groceries! I read in another thread where singles were spending $200 or $300 a month and I think I can make some improvements. I'm single, but I have a relative I take care of who lives with me most of the time and I buy her food too. So we are kind of a house of two. But she doesn't eat much and she also spends a lot of time with other family. She really doesn't add much to the bill other than some easy to prepare food for herself should I not be home.

My grocery bill is food and also household stuff like shampoo, soap, cleaners, etc.

I've looked at a lot of websites and I do what they list. Cook at home, from scratch. Don't buy a lot of prepared foods etc.

I can get better at buying stuff on sale, but I have a small house and don't have the space to stock up on things. I'm thinking of buying a pantry cabinet for the garage so I can store extra stuff on it. There never seem to be coupons for what I buy (generic and fresh foods).

I do have an issue with produce waste. A lot of it goes bad in a day or two. I try to cook it up quickly and reheat it as needed. But I throw away too much. Also my choices of grocery stores is "inexpensive but horrible produce" or Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods). When I visit my mom (who lives rurally) I stock up at roadside produce stands (best produce I can get at a reasonable price).

I'm also kind of a meat snob (because of what I ate growing up). Filet mignon and boneless chicken breasts, that sort of thing. I tend to buy organic chicken and beef too. I'd love suggestions for other types of meat that's cheaper and tastes just as good. Although I honestly don't buy a lot of meat.

My boyfriend bought me a Kurig and that thing is pricey! I bought a reusable pod for it and I'm going to buy cans of coffee again. Boxes of coffee pods are $8 for 12 cups.

So that's what I know. I might be able to pull things off with just that, but I'd appreciate more grocery saving tips. I also live in a high cost of living area. But I know I can be smarter about shopping.

I wish I could cut "eating out" but that only nets me an extra $45 a month.
if you shop at aldi, you dont really have to work at all to find sales. its cheap every day.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM

9,084 posts, read 3,701,709 times
I don't see them as much these days, forgot about it until I saw that auction thread

but food auctions aren't bad if people want to grab some items cheaply... <--- usually not healthy foods though

Old 06-16-2017, 05:48 PM

941 posts, read 459,200 times
I use lots of paper towels, (usually Costco/Kirkland) very rarely kitchen-specific cloth towels as after several or so wipes, they're not squeaky clean enough to touch food (or utensil) that's already been washed and destined for a pan or dish.

I got guilty over trees after my second or so roll, so I get several or more uses from each sheet.

Clean ones go to washed fruit or food needing to be wiped dry before cooking or consumption.
Depending on what was washed/ how dirty, they either go to wiping the counter top, sink, floor, or trash, in that order.

When I wash hands to handle cleaned food, those get dried until I need to do the counter/sink/or floor thing.

I use them to dry cleaned dishes.
First usage goes to one or more insides of items (where the food goes), then I use that one for the outsides and bottoms, then on to the counters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living