U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,740,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Duh, and who said it wasn't? There are different things required for EVERY different kind of selling whether it possibly be a lot of money invested up front, knowledge of computers or components or whatever items they are, storage space, an interest or liking in even do certain types of selling and the work involved, time, storage space, creativity, patience, etc, etc, etc.

I was offering a suggestion to add to what the OP was talking about regarding different ways to make money. My only point by stating it can be done by anyone is that it is not just a male dominated thing. And it is not feasible for me to do it anymore but it once was.

In other words it is called opening up your mind instead of always looking at the negatives of everything like some people always do.

I believe you said it wasn't; not everyone has a vehicle.

Quote: And I am female so it definitely can be done by virtually anyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,740,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm sure this will shock many, but I place a low (virtually zero) value on your opinions. I'm a former Marine, my partner is former Army Airborne and tomorrow someone is coming to the latest warehouse (not an auction, but this hookup came about from someone we met at an auction) and paying us hundreds of dollars (if not we keep his deposit) for shelving and display racks we mostly would of thrown away. (The rest we would of had to move 2x, once to my buddy's hay barn, and a 2nd time to sell)
It would be a mistake to try to harm either of us which would not go well for any aggressor.

We aren't out to get rich, be innovative, or change the world, but as something we can do for "fun", and make a few hundred dollars a day + "treasure"..... it beats going to a movie.

This one is yealding me some commercial shelving for my shop, couple dozen 2x4's, some insulation (for the shop) canning jars and lids, and a few odds and ends like new strawberry baskets for my strawberry patch, and a nice metal table (patio furnature style) and chairs.
My buddy is keeping more, but I don't want to be a horder, just keeping things I have an immediate use for or ubiquitous items (an unopened can of exterior paint as an example)

We are also giving away quite a few items (gave my buddy's mother a singer sewing machine from this cleanout) as well as friends and neighbors.
It's paying off as my neighbor is giving me metal for the shed I'm going to use those 2x4's to build after I offered him insulation...

My fault for making such a broad overgeneralization; CL is perfectly fine for low-tech and hard-to-ship goods; I just don't feel comfortable buying tech items there.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,301,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Duh, and who said it wasn't? There are different things required for EVERY different kind of selling whether it possibly be a lot of money invested up front, knowledge of computers or components or whatever items they are, storage space, an interest or liking in even do certain types of selling and the work involved, time, storage space, creativity, patience, etc, etc, etc.

I was offering a suggestion to add to what the OP was talking about regarding different ways to make money. My only point by stating it can be done by anyone is that it is not just a male dominated thing. And it is not feasible for me to do it anymore but it once was.

In other words it is called opening up your mind instead of always looking at the negatives of everything like some people always do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I believe you said it wasn't; not everyone has a vehicle.

Quote: And I am female so it definitely can be done by virtually anyone.
And I see that you definitely have selective reading because I explained exactly what I meant by that statement in my post that you just quoted. Wanna try actually reading it this time?

Old 06-20-2017, 02:59 PM

3,273 posts, read 1,951,012 times
We have been going to auctions for about 25 years. Auctioning does get in your blood. We have had many fun and lucrative times at auctions. We were full-time eBay sellers for about 5 years. We don't currently attend many (my job, my husband's disability make it a bit hard) and are downsizing as much as we can, so don't want to be tempted to accumulate any more "stuff". I have plenty of "stuff" to sell on eBay as it is. LOL When we retire, we will probably get back into going to auctions. It can be a nice side/retirement income and you never know what you will find at an auction. Especially in box lots.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 PM

143 posts, read 196,006 times
i bought a fireplace tool set at an auction one time for 50 bucks, it was cool hand forged iron....the holder, poker and brush....about 2002....turned out it was marked stickley...it was so covered with soot no one could see it. Listed it on ebay and it sold for 14,000.......that was in the good old days......and got very lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or