U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:02 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,535,580 times

Advertisements

One person's extravagance is someone else's smart buy. It so subjective and based on what you happen to feel is meaningful. I will pay more for higher quality (in durable things that need to function well for years like a car, an appliance, computer) but don't really care about most name brands for consumables like food, clothing or things that you use up and toss. However, someone with kids, tuition, lots of family expenses may think me extravagant because I buy antique baskets, native pottery, and other art. I'm not talking about pieces that cost thousands, rather things most people would not spend part of a paycheck for. I get a lot of enjoyment out of the hunt (its entertainment and costs less than some night on the town) and the beauty and life story behind the art pieces is what gives them meaning, not the price. The collector's rule is "buy what you love" and its true. Duck decoy collectors often spend huge amounts on Mason decoys. I have never liked them so they don't have meaning for me...I don't care what they are worth to others. If I can't afford an art piece I either save until I can reach it, strike an agreement with the seller, and run through the bank accounts to be sure it won't cause a lot of grief later. If the object is something I truly want I won't forget it a month or year later. My home contains some art that gives me so much joy over the years and that's what matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
I used to see quite a few people who lived above their means. Credit lines became tighter and those people have moved on so I don't see it so much anymore. One of the worst I see these days is someone living out the childhood dream of horses and a hobby farm. The horses cost more money than she was making. This person can't hold down a job.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
My husband. He does stupid stuff like that. It's an NC summer...95 degrees (with a 102 degree heat index during the day) and like...85 degrees at night. He will refuse the leave the thermostat alone during the day and will jack it down from 72 degrees to 50 degrees. Then, when it gets cold, he'll turn the heat on for a while. Then, he'll turn the AC back on.

He used to turn the shower on to "heat it up" and get distracted playing video games for so long (an hour) that all the hot water would run out and would turn cold. He would then turn the shower off, fuss and complain about the water heater, let it "warm back up again," then start all over.

I can also spend like $200 at the grocery store and buy every single thing that I can think of that he likes to eat, but I swear, he'll still say, "You know what would be good right now?" and will name something that we somehow don't have.
I'd be so pissed by that behavior

Old 07-06-2017, 08:03 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
A couple who is a friend of mine-not so much since I moved out of Miami. They are living as keeping up with the Jones's. Actually the bf is-bought him and her a brand new MB and can't afford it. His 2017 E class got repoed not too long ago. He posts things on FB like he's making all this money. He lies to his gf. She paid off all his cc's after winning a settlement--21k. He racked them ALL UP again within weeks. However, I know the real truth and it just makes me laugh. He's stuck living the "Miami" lifestyle even though he can't afford it. He hasn't grown up-they've got 4 kids between them. It's pretty sad actually.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
I have a relative whom I love very much. She's bi-polar. When she's in the manic phase she does crazy extravagant things she cannot afford--exotic trips to far off places, designer clothes and accessories, buys the biggest TV and refrigerator she can.

Lets her house fall apart with a collapsing ceiling from a bathroom leak. Makes no sense logically. But I guess this behavior is not unusual for the manic stage of bi-polar.

She's in huge credit card debt. I feel for her...she does better when she's on her meds but sometimes goes off them due to weight gain. Sad situation.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:53 PM

1,389 posts, read 544,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
He used to turn the shower on to "heat it up" and get distracted playing video games for so long (an hour) that all the hot water would run out and would turn cold. He would then turn the shower off, fuss and complain about the water heater, let it "warm back up again," then start all over.
Holy crap, what an obscene waste of water. I hope you guys don't live in California!! And I can't imagine your water bill.

Last edited by sas318; 07-07-2017 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 01:07 PM

3,961 posts, read 1,590,532 times
My Dad. He was a successful architect who always complained about never having money, but he always had the cash to go out to eat with friends, play a round of golf at the club, or buy expensive suits and shoes.

Once I made a deal with my parents. If I made a high enough score on my PSAT to be a national merit finalist AND raised half the expense, I could be in a touring musical organization, one that competed around the country. I tattooed my PSAT and I earned my half of the money working in an Arby's. But my dad just hit the roof when he learned that he'd have to shell out a thousand dollars with the tour coming up in three months. Instead, he decided to heap a guilt trip on my about having to save for college instead, even though I had won a Phi Beta Kappa scholarship and a state grant.

The next day? He came home with a couple of new suits and a couple of pairs of shoes. I will never forget that.

Even though I had a scholarship and grants, plus commuting 15 miles every day to save on living expense, I worked my way through college. Forty hours a week for four years. Because I'd be damned if I was going to ask him for money. I walked off stage with my diploma and zero in student debt.

When he suddenly died a few months later, he had something like 30 suits in his closet and dozens of dress shoes. Three sets of golf clubs. Nice stuff, too. But he left my mother high and dry with no savings and a lousy $10,000 life insurance policy. So I had to shelve my acceptance to a very nice graduate school in order to stay home and take care of my mother for several years. All because he couldn't be bothered to get a decent policy and never stuck a dime back for a rainy day.

Thirty-three years later, it still ticks me off. Don't get me wrong. I have a good life. But I had to give up a great deal due to his profligacy.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,169,029 times
Probably my brother. Rolex, Breitling, luxury cars, etc.

Not surprising I have a higher net worth than him. I've worn the same $30 casio for over 4 years and will probably keep wearing it for another 4 years before getting a new one. I drive a decent Honda that is nearly 14 years old, has dents, etc. I rarely buy clothes or eat out. When I do, I order from the value menu.

Mind you, I can go buy a few Lambo's and Ferrari's paid in cash today, and put a nice Rolex on each wrist. But I prefer income producing assets instead.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:35 PM

6,412 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My brother. He let his wife spend all of his money.

My Dad, he let his wife and her family spend like drunken sailors. But I have to say, he was partly to blame also. Now they are both homeless, although not living-on-the-street homeless, they live with other people. And they seem to want pity. I don't feel sorry for them. They have medicare and social security which is better than nothing. They also have family who they can live with. They seem to want money now from other people to spend recklessly again. I swear, if someone gave them money right now, they'd go on another cruise. They are that stupid. They have also spent a great deal on her daughters, funding expensive weddings for them. They're not getting my money to give to her daughters as I refuse to help these grown-up leeches.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 07-19-2017 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 04:43 PM

6,412 posts, read 2,340,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
My Dad. He was a successful architect who always complained about never having money, but he always had the cash to go out to eat with friends, play a round of golf at the club, or buy expensive suits and shoes.

Once I made a deal with my parents. If I made a high enough score on my PSAT to be a national merit finalist AND raised half the expense, I could be in a touring musical organization, one that competed around the country. I tattooed my PSAT and I earned my half of the money working in an Arby's. But my dad just hit the roof when he learned that he'd have to shell out a thousand dollars with the tour coming up in three months. Instead, he decided to heap a guilt trip on my about having to save for college instead, even though I had won a Phi Beta Kappa scholarship and a state grant.

The next day? He came home with a couple of new suits and a couple of pairs of shoes. I will never forget that. .
That is awful. Someone in my family had a grandparent who set up a college fund for her; this was back in the 1920s. Her mom started dipping into the money, using it for clothes, parties, restaurant outings with friends. By the time she was 18, all her college money was gone. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or