U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes there are differences. In the world of financial conscious people, there are actually three types. Thrifty, Frugal and Cheap. Here is one way to recognize them.

All three walking on a road for hot and thirsty. They come across a small one room store. The Thrifty person will decide they are hot and thirsty so it's worth $2.00 for a cold bottle of water. The Frugal person will decide the .50 cents bottle of warm water in the sun will quench their thirst. The Cheap person will not spend a penny and just drink from the squeegee bucket.

I think that sums it up.

No. The frugal person will PLAN for the day and stock up on bottled water when it is 24 bottles for $1.77. They will realize that they are going to be hiking and will stick 2-3 of the bottles in the freezer and pack a cooler with more water for the time after the hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 PM

5,470 posts, read 8,160,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If you get into an accident which is your fault, you won't think it was a waste of money to keep full coverage on your 30k vehicle.
Yes it is.

You just replace your <$5k, perfectly serviceable vehicle for cash.

I don't do the "phone insurance".... in all these years I've just had to replace one phone
I'm still hundreds of dollars ahead.

I like to think of eating out.
A frugal person may wait for a certain day (2 places I like run "specials" on Tuesdays.... so if I wait till then I get the dishes I enjoy at a lower cost)

A cheap person stiffs the wait staff on the tip.

Eta: tomorrow I'm going to an auction.
I'm bringing my own filtered water (NOT bought in bottles) and lunch in a cooler.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:13 PM

11,611 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think of cheap as negatively affecting yourself or others particularly when you can afford better. The cheap guy listed earlier drank the mop water. Now he is going to get sick from the chemicals and germs and the other two people now probably have to help his sorry hiney get home and watch after him until he gets better because he is cheap.

I'm not sure I'd call the person who bought the bottle of hot water frugal unless he knows he can ask for a free cup of ice to cool his water down.

I think the third guy is the most frugal for buying the $2 bottle of cold water. He got what he needed and he didn't cause a hardship for himself or his friends. He could have brought a reusable bottle for the walk, but he doesn't own a reusable bottle because he doesn't normally need one. He saw a great opportunity to hang out with a couple of other people and he chose to enjoy the adventure and accepted that $2 was a reasonable cost that might lead to better relationships in the future.
I think that whole analogy is dumb, no offense meant to the person who posted it, but it's dumb. A big spender or a thrifty person could buy the $2 water, and thrifty is a synonym to frugal. Also, we'd need to agree whether cold water is actually superior to warm water in really hot weather.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 PM

11,611 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Quote:
I think of cheap as negatively affecting yourself or others particularly when you can afford better
Yes. My Dad is normally just frugal, but he crosses over into cheap sometimes! Like hauling around cars with chains to a truck GAWD I love my Daddy but come on. I got AAA as a TEEN wanting to avoid stuff like that! That is dangerous and dumb when roadside assistance is so cheap.

I recently hid a tire problem from him because even as an adult with roadside protection he didn't want me having my car towed to Discount Tire. He had previously SNUCK over here and stole my tire to take it himself. IDK if he doesn't believe it's already paid for or what that was about .... but LOL! Maybe he doesn't want those bad salesmen telling me that he is wrong about how much more wear I can get out of a tire that clearly should not be sought.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 PM

866 posts, read 446,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
If you get into an accident which is your fault, you won't think it was a waste of money to keep full coverage on your 30k vehicle.
Petunia,

You clearly missed the entire point of that quoted sentence. If a person has to get a loan for a vehicle, they will required to pay for full coverage insurance. Since I drive a POS, I carry only liability.

So no, I won't be upset that I don't have collision or comprehensive insurance. My liability insurance covers any "at fault" accidents. If I did have a $30k vehicle, it would be paid fir in cash and would still only have liability insurance.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:05 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think that whole analogy is dumb, no offense meant to the person who posted it, but it's dumb. A big spender or a thrifty person could buy the $2 water, and thrifty is a synonym to frugal. Also, we'd need to agree whether cold water is actually superior to warm water in really hot weather.

It has to be cold water for me. I don't want warm or hot water.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:07 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes. My Dad is normally just frugal, but he crosses over into cheap sometimes! Like hauling around cars with chains to a truck GAWD I love my Daddy but come on. I got AAA as a TEEN wanting to avoid stuff like that! That is dangerous and dumb when roadside assistance is so cheap.

I recently hid a tire problem from him because even as an adult with roadside protection he didn't want me having my car towed to Discount Tire. He had previously SNUCK over here and stole my tire to take it himself. IDK if he doesn't believe it's already paid for or what that was about .... but LOL! Maybe he doesn't want those bad salesmen telling me that he is wrong about how much more wear I can get out of a tire that clearly should not be sought.
Lol! My dad can be the same way. He has gotten better. He just wants to help.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:18 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Heaven's yes there is a difference! For decades I drove a 1963 Rambler, 3 speed on the column. I worked at a place that was a dream for car thieves. Multiple times we watched them stealing cars after calling the police. I drove that old POS because no one wanted to steal it and they didn't know how to drive it either. Looked like it had a lawnmower engine and was great on fuel and insurance. Yet it was very dependable and cheap to work on too. Repairs were very straightforward. Nothing complex to break down.

And when I finally sold it, I got more money than I paid for it. It was an antique! Only car I ever made a profit on! 20 years with no car payment and I sold it for more than I paid for it. Then add in the fuel economy and the difference in insurance and I made out like a bandit. That car was a frugal purchase!

Old 06-24-2017, 04:41 PM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yes it is.

You just replace your <$5k, perfectly serviceable vehicle for cash.

I don't do the "phone insurance".... in all these years I've just had to replace one phone
I'm still hundreds of dollars ahead.

I like to think of eating out.
A frugal person may wait for a certain day (2 places I like run "specials" on Tuesdays.... so if I wait till then I get the dishes I enjoy at a lower cost)

A cheap person stiffs the wait staff on the tip.

Eta: tomorrow I'm going to an auction.
I'm bringing my own filtered water (NOT bought in bottles) and lunch in a cooler.
No, you turn your undercoverage into something other insured will carry as the other party may incur major bills.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 PM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Heaven's yes there is a difference! For decades I drove a 1963 Rambler, 3 speed on the column. I worked at a place that was a dream for car thieves. Multiple times we watched them stealing cars after calling the police. I drove that old POS because no one wanted to steal it and they didn't know how to drive it either. Looked like it had a lawnmower engine and was great on fuel and insurance. Yet it was very dependable and cheap to work on too. Repairs were very straightforward. Nothing complex to break down.

And when I finally sold it, I got more money than I paid for it. It was an antique! Only car I ever made a profit on! 20 years with no car payment and I sold it for more than I paid for it. Then add in the fuel economy and the difference in insurance and I made out like a bandit. That car was a frugal purchase!
LOL - I bought a brand new Blazer 5 speed as everyone considered my previous car a free for all borrower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living