U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM

4,856 posts, read 1,364,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I just bought a LV wallet and I feel great! I deserve it. Yay!
Perfectly fine to splurge, but the idea that you splurged BECAUSE you're frugal doesn't make much sense. Because LV products are not considered particularly well-made.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:20 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,027,387 times
I splurge from time to time. Just Saturday on a pricey restaurant for a friend's birthday. She wanted a less expensive treat, but I have been wanting to try this place. The service was awesome as well as the wine, and especially the desert which was complimentary as the waiter heard me mention her birthday. (He wasn't a Spanish speaker, but told us he knew a few words and picked up on that one word.) LOL I had been trying to find an opening to ask for something special for her and he showed up with a generous piece of cake with the plate saying happy birthday in chocolate AND a sparkler! On top of that it was the best Tres Leches I have ever tasted! We were amazed and impressed by his attention. That is service!

I agree, everyone needs to treat themselves once in a while.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:32 PM

22,738 posts, read 21,795,564 times
Quote:
LV never goes out of style. I will have it for at least 10+ years. I have had my bag for 7. The bag now costs $500 more than I paid for it 7 years ago.

It is my last hurrah for the next 4 years. I could not think of another way of rewarding myself for persevering. God is good.

I will reward myself with the Speedy when I accomplish all of my goals.

I bet you are thinking why is she posting this on a frugal board. I really am frugal.
...and people are crazy

I went shopping with my son a couple of years ago and bought a purse which cost the best part of $100. He was shocked. I was spending $100 on a purse? It's a nice piece of leather and was stitched well. I'll have it for at least ten years. Probably much longer.

The reference was Billy Currington - People Are Crazy. There's a song for every occasion.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:20 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,505,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Perfectly fine to splurge, but the idea that you splurged BECAUSE you're frugal doesn't make much sense. Because LV products are not considered particularly well-made.
Sometimes it is nice to buy things simply because you can. I like LVs because they are timeless.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I splurge from time to time. Just Saturday on a pricey restaurant for a friend's birthday. She wanted a less expensive treat, but I have been wanting to try this place. The service was awesome as well as the wine, and especially the desert which was complimentary as the waiter heard me mention her birthday. (He wasn't a Spanish speaker, but told us he knew a few words and picked up on that one word.) LOL I had been trying to find an opening to ask for something special for her and he showed up with a generous piece of cake with the plate saying happy birthday in chocolate AND a sparkler! On top of that it was the best Tres Leches I have ever tasted! We were amazed and impressed by his attention. That is service!

I agree, everyone needs to treat themselves once in a while.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...and people are crazy

I went shopping with my son a couple of years ago and bought a purse which cost the best part of $100. He was shocked. I was spending $100 on a purse? It's a nice piece of leather and was stitched well. I'll have it for at least ten years. Probably much longer.

The reference was Billy Currington - People Are Crazy. There's a song for every occasion.
It is funny but I would never spend $100 for a no name purse. Lol!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I read it as "what did you save money on, (frugal living) to save the money for the wallet. That would be nice ot know.
I still do not understand. I did not save money for this wallet. I have a budget that I strictly adhere to each month. The money came from a part of my salary that I do not include in my budget.

As far as frugal living, I am as frugal as they come. Frankly, it sucks. There are very few people who are truly financially independent. I am responsible for ever facet of my life. I do not have the luxury of getting help or gifts from family and a partner. My salary is all I have. Saving does not make me happy, it is necessary. Paying debt does not make me happy, it is necessary. LV is not necessary. It is ridiculously expensive and it is for me. Only me. It does not have anything to do with my survival. Sometimes, you need to have something that is nice.

Last edited by goodlife36; 06-27-2017 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 05:00 AM

18,294 posts, read 18,560,123 times
Quote:
I still do not understand. I did not save money for this wallet. I have a budget that I strictly adhere to each month. The money came from a part of my salary that I do not include in my budget.

I think to most people's way of thinking, course you 'saved up for it'
Unless you put it on a charge card.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 8 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,511,818 times
Quote:
Sometimes it is nice to buy things simply because you can. I like LVs because they are timeless.
Quote:
It is funny but I would never spend $100 for a no name purse. Lol!

I wouldn't know a no name purse from a LV purse. It's all the same to me but whatever floats your boat.

I just bought a slightly used leather purse with a built in wallet at a "buck a bag" sale last weekend. I paid less than 10 cents for it. Now "that" is being frugal and it is very nice.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

I think to most people's way of thinking, course you 'saved up for it'
Unless you put it on a charge card.
I did not save for this wallet. Saving implies I put money aside to make the purchase. I did not do that.

I always put large purchases on my credit card. It will be paid off on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living