U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,507,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
My recent purchase was a new wardrobe as I have lost 43 pounds in the last 8 months.

I may have "oversplurged" as I certainly hope to lose even more weight, and probably should have only bought half what I did.

Oh, and JUST IN CASE, I AM keeping some of my "fat clothes" so if I do gain a few pounds again, I won't have to buy all new again. I only WISH I had done that on the way up instead of passing on old clothes too small for me to the Sally House.

Awesome! Good for you!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 PM

I think you folks are missing the point. The point of this thread is to celebrate a purchase I made for myself. That is it. I actually want to hear from others who are financially conscious. How do you indulge?

I do not feel buying a bunch of cheap items makes you frugal. If you are a shopper, it adds up. I am funny about clutter. I guess I am sort of a minimalist.

I like handbags. Some people like shoes, clothes, cars etc.

A lifestyle consists of how you live your life on a daily basis. It is always comical to me when people gasps at my purchase but they eat out every single day for breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. They drive these ridiculously expensive vehicles with huge car notes and pay an arm and a leg for their choice of residence. I will stick with an item that makes me happy and does not impact my budget.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 PM

19,047 posts, read 10,079,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I think you folks are missing the point. The point of this thread is to celebrate a purchase I made for myself. That is it. I actually want to hear from others who are financially conscious. How do you indulge?

I do not feel buying a bunch of cheap items makes you frugal. If you are a shopper, it adds up. I am funny about clutter. I guess I am sort of a minimalist.

A lifestyle consists of how you live your life on a daily basis. It is always comical to me when people gasps at my purchase but they eat out every single day for breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. They drive these ridiculously expensive vehicles with huge car notes and pay an arm and a leg for their choice of residence. I will stick with an item that makes me happy and does not impact my budget.
I think you are missing the point. Splurges are fine but that doesn't make them frugal. A better way to make your point would have been to create a thread asking if there is anything people will splurge on even though they are frugal in general. You are trying to re-define words that have existing meanings. I doubt the people driving ridiculously expensive cars and eating out 3 meals a day describe themselves as frugal.

As to your other point, frugal and minimalist are often contradictory.

In any case, enjoy your wallet. Whether it was frugal or not doesn't mean you aren't entitled to splurge on it.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:32 PM

11,639 posts, read 5,486,973 times
Quote:

I was celebrating with you until I got to the part that it's on a credit card. I mean, there is no way to call oneself frugal if one uses a credit card for a splurge. That is living above your means and wasting a ton on interest!

I thought at first you had saved for it. That would be cause for celebrating!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 PM

3,210 posts, read 2,818,634 times
I didn't see the credit card comment so I'm not sure what was said there. A lot of us use credit cards and pay them off in full each month so we don't carry a balance. We get a % cash back also.

I don't splurge a whole lot. I did buy a $30 book for my genealogy research the other day. It came in last night and I found an interesting story about a direct ancestor written by his granddaughter so that was really cool.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Frugal could also be buying a well made leather one ...
Yes this is how I feel about shoes. I'd rather have good leather ones that will last almost forever than cheap crap that doesn't even save money due to replacement costs.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I was celebrating with you until I got to the part that it's on a credit card. I mean, there is no way to call oneself frugal if one uses a credit card for a splurge. That is living above your means and wasting a ton on interest!

I thought at first you had saved for it. That would be cause for celebrating!
I bought it on Sunday. It will be paid on Saturday. There are benefits to putting items on credit cards. I could have easily waited to Saturday to put it on my debit card. I want the benefits. Really?

Last edited by goodlife36; 06-27-2017 at 09:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Yes this is how I feel about shoes. I'd rather have good leather ones that will last almost forever than cheap crap that doesn't even save money due to replacement costs.
There you go. I could care less about shoes. I only buy my shoes at Payless. I like the ballerina shoes. They last for a while and I think they are cute.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I bought it on Sunday. It will be paid on Saturday. There are benefits to putting items on credit cards. I could have easily waited to Saturday to put it on my debit card. I want the benefits. Really?
My bad! I misunderstood. Back to my initial reaction, which was: YAY! I'm sad for frugal people who NEVER buy ANYthing they really want. That is a terrible way to live. Can't take it with you ........ I am currently in a high austerity mode that will last until my mortgage is paid, but you can bet your bottom there will be a little splurging when I can do so!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 AM

14,940 posts, read 26,657,316 times
This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living