U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:00 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times

Advertisements

That's smart shopping, OP! Here's another way to "shop" -- I wanted a high-powered blender that would make smoothies for me. Small budget. Posted on Facebook that I was shopping for a good blender/juicer/smoothie maker. Did anyone have one they wanted to find a new home for? Didn't ask for it free, was willing to pay a fair amt. A friend gave me a Ninja she wasn't using. Said it was an extra one she had. Wouldn't take any $ for it. A nice friend! Perfect for my needs. Now having a smoothie most mornings. Since then I've used FB for giving away things, too. Or selling for a low amount. Karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:29 PM

4,109 posts, read 3,447,161 times
Did you walk to all these places or drive?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:40 PM

3,039 posts, read 992,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Did you walk to all these places or drive?
All the stores were in walking distance from each other.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 PM

16,718 posts, read 20,470,484 times
Well done! I just moved into a new apartment and it didn't have a microwave - horrors! I was broke after moving, so started saving and shopping around. Had decided I'd buy one from Walmart, but was saving.

Then, since I'm now back in an urban area, I started checking the free section on Craigslist and voila! Somebody who was remodeling and changing everything to stainless steel, had a white microwave (which matches my appliances here) for free. I went and got it, cleaned it up a bit, plugged it in - and it works perfectly! Way nicer than the little one I was going to buy from Walmart, too :-)

I do think people need to think about the gas money they're spending while they shop around. My "free" microwave probably cost me $5 or more in gas, as it was way across town. Still a great deal, but I know some people who will drive all over town to save fifty cents to a dollar on different items, and spend more than they saved in gas.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:51 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was looking to buy a toaster yesterday at Target and noticed they only had one toaster for $34.99 which made go to another Target. The other Target had the same toaster for $34.99 and my account would not let me buy a normal looking toaster for that much money. So I see CVS across the street and they had one toaster on the shelf for only $17.37. That price was a lot better than Target's but I still felt I could get a better price and decided to go to Rite Aid. Then once I arrived in Rite Aid it was one toaster on the shelf and the price after taxes was $14.34 All it took was patience and I was able to find a toaster for $20 less than what was in Target which made me feel leaving the store.
Good for you! Target is a funny place when it comes to sale items. I did, however, catch a great deal on a bedding set some time ago. The quality is not bad for the price.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:54 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Target is consistently high for appliances outside of sales. The same brand will generally be marked significantly up from what it is priced at competitors'.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:56 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,496,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well done! I just moved into a new apartment and it didn't have a microwave - horrors! I was broke after moving, so started saving and shopping around. Had decided I'd buy one from Walmart, but was saving.

Then, since I'm now back in an urban area, I started checking the free section on Craigslist and voila! Somebody who was remodeling and changing everything to stainless steel, had a white microwave (which matches my appliances here) for free. I went and got it, cleaned it up a bit, plugged it in - and it works perfectly! Way nicer than the little one I was going to buy from Walmart, too :-)

I do think people need to think about the gas money they're spending while they shop around. My "free" microwave probably cost me $5 or more in gas, as it was way across town. Still a great deal, but I know some people who will drive all over town to save fifty cents to a dollar on different items, and spend more than they saved in gas.
Good for you! That is a good point. I think some people like to bargain hunt. I like bargains too but I am not willing to drive all over for it.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
For me, it depends on how urgent my need for the item is.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
We don't have Target around here but we have Kohl's. I don't get their pricing at all. Trying to buy a T shirt for my 6 yr old grandson, the cheapest were $14.99. I decided to bite the bullet even though it's almost as much as I'd pay for a T shirt for myself, and when I got to the cash register, they only charged me $7.99. And a senior discount!

Kohl's seems to have very high prices but there are these mysterious sales (it must have been on sale) that you don't even know about. I was happy.

It does pay to shop around and you aren't wasting gas money if all the stores are in a strip mall so that you can just walk from store to store. I had also tried T.J. Maxx in the same strip mall but they didn't have anything.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 PM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We don't have Target around here but we have Kohl's. I don't get their pricing at all. Trying to buy a T shirt for my 6 yr old grandson, the cheapest were $14.99. I decided to bite the bullet even though it's almost as much as I'd pay for a T shirt for myself, and when I got to the cash register, they only charged me $7.99. And a senior discount!

Kohl's seems to have very high prices but there are these mysterious sales (it must have been on sale) that you don't even know about. I was happy.

It does pay to shop around and you aren't wasting gas money if all the stores are in a strip mall so that you can just walk from store to store. I had also tried T.J. Maxx in the same strip mall but they didn't have anything.
Open a Kohl's charge account and you can get 30% off at least one week out of every month. I wait for the 30% off sales then go browse the clearance racks, it's nice to pick up something marked down 80% and get 30% off of that. They also have 'friends and family' 20% off sales for non-account holders.

For anyone reading this who has a Kohl's account, if the coupon you get in the mail isn't for 30% off, just google "Kohl's 30 off" get the current code and put it in the Kohl's app
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living