U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,278,535 times

Advertisements

I do that with shopping too, then look online with free shipping. But, for a toaster, go to GoodWill.. Easy to clean, and they rarely break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,450,129 times
I'd strongly recommend you to go and check slickdeals website or install app on your smartphone and check it frequently for this kind of stuff. Last several years we have always been able to buy things like toaster/blender/hand blender/slow cooker/4 slice oven and much more for about a dollar each! This is generally either on Kohl's or Macy's with some discount coupons and mail in rebate. All of them are very easy to handle. We use these and change them every few years again for almost a buck each.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,201,958 times
i know that you shopped in person, but if you shop online, they have this extenison on google chrome called honey.

Let's say you go on amazon and you want a sweater. honey will let you know that if the sweater you're buying is the best priced or if there's another exact same sweater can be had for a lesser price. I think it's really neat.

But im glad you were able to get a toaster under twenty dollars.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 PM

3,042 posts, read 992,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
i know that you shopped in person, but if you shop online, they have this extenison on google chrome called honey.

Let's say you go on amazon and you want a sweater. honey will let you know that if the sweater you're buying is the best priced or if there's another exact same sweater can be had for a lesser price. I think it's really neat.

But im glad you were able to get a toaster under twenty dollars.

I was really aiming for a toaster that was $9.99 but $14.34 is still better than $35.00. lol

Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,348,340 times
I just did a quick search on Amazon. They have toasters for $11.52. No driving around and wasting time required

I find it hard to justify shopping in brick & mortar stores anymore unless there's something that I need *now*.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:00 PM

3,042 posts, read 992,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I just did a quick search on Amazon. They have toasters for $11.52. No driving around and wasting time required

I find it hard to justify shopping in brick & mortar stores anymore unless there's something that I need *now*.
I wanted it for sunday because the place I order breakfast from doesn't have english muffins on the menu and I never been a fan of toast. So I went out on saturday to get the toaster and the muffins from the supermarket for sunday's breakfast.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:44 PM

291 posts, read 131,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OP - So you're just posting what has been a ton of times - shop around.
And here we are thinking that the price of things are the same no matter where you go. The world is a strange place.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 PM

473 posts, read 283,583 times
This is why I have abandoned Target...Quality is also poor for anything except the food, which is overpriced to begin with. But, don't use Walmart here either as food is almost rotten and lots doesn't ring up right. Dollar General has same consumables like pets/toiletries and prices are same plus nice in/out shopping experience instead of 20 minutes in 2 or 3 checkout lines during rush/evenings hours. I prefer Kohl's quality on rest but sales are getting cut throat at Kohl's so I try to buy best I can afford timed with sales and baby the housewares. Sometimes can get 3-5 years from some of it like sheets/towels.

Have nice clothing discounter around here cheaper than TJMaxx or Marshalls so is my go-to. All is mall clothing at this regional clothing discounter...Have no need to go near malls any longer as the clearance racks are getting so tricky, get ripped off too badly to bother.

Ebay is great place to check for low-end electronics. Most stuff is 10-15% of retail so you can order directly from China for free shipping, just have to wait 2-3 weeks.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:07 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,019,005 times
That's interesting. I've always considered CVS and Rite-Aid as expensive.

Except of course for the Rite-Aid liquor stores which have the best prices.

Seriously, they really do have the best booze prices that I've found. It's worth the inconvenience of having to put up with their policy of carding everyone -- and I mean everyone, even my ancient old ass.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
For even cheaper, you could have looked at the Salvation Army.

OTOH, the cheapest option is not necessarily the most frugal option. Even with toasters.
True. When it comes to appliances, the cheapest one is often cheap because it's made cheaply & will either break or not perform well. Buying an appliance that can last for decades AND is repairable is important to me. But some toasters are made not to be repairable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living