U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:40 AM

29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times

Advertisements

We do not have A/C in our home. We keep our ceiling fans going 24/7/365 on low speed. When I bought them, the packaging had a chart about how many cfm is moved for each speed comparing it to how much amperage is consumed, the most efficient use of current is on the low speed.

Our ceiling fans are mounted directly over our woodstoves. In winter it makes a huge difference for heating our house. Though admittedly after 5 years living here, one winter the grid went down for a week, and with no electricity to run the fans the heat from the woodstove over-heated the fans. When the power finally came back on the fans were shot. Now we are on solar-power so we have much more reliable electricity. So long as the fans are running, they seem to keep themselves cooled enough.

I am not convinced that it truly makes any difference if fans push 'up' or 'down'. I have tried both ways. Having fans running makes a big difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM

22,693 posts, read 21,741,083 times
I only makes a difference if the room is chilly. I don't want to have air blowing on me when I'm cold.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,694,053 times
The act of moving air around does nothing directly to cool a room. In fact it's just the opposite. Typical ceiling fans consume 50-100 watts, with virtually all of that getting converted into waste heat. So they are really little bitty heaters.

There may be some indirect effects of moving air around. Air movement may cause the a/c to run longer and/or more frequently, depending on thermostat placement, zoning, etc... which will make the room cooler. But of course one could accomplish the same by just adjusting the thermostat at a lower setting.

Is the cost low? That's a matter of perspective I guess. We have 8 ceiling fans in our house. If we ran them all 24/7 and each one consumes 75 watts, it would come to around $600 a year in electricity for the fans. During cool months they help to heat the house, but at a higher cost than our heat pump does per unit energy. In the summer they are adding heat to the house, which needs to be removed with a/c. I didn't bother doing a net cost calculation, but here we have more cooling demand than heating so I'd expect the overall cost to be higher than $600.

In practice, we have fans running 24/7 during the hot months in a couple of rooms we use the most, with occasional use in other rooms. So the cost should be around $100 for the year.

Last edited by hikernut; 07-06-2017 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
If cost to run is a concern, consider a fan with a DC motor....a typical AC motor will consume 75% more energy than a DC....see this site. Our fans, all dc motors run constantly. Get one with the greatest blade pitch for more air movement....the site will give you all the specs to choose wisely. We have an 81" fan in the living room...it does a fantastic job.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-06-2017, 04:08 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,694,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If cost to run is a concern, consider a fan with a DC motor....a typical AC motor will consume 75% more energy than a DC....see this site. Our fans, all dc motors run constantly. Get one with the greatest blade pitch for more air movement....the site will give you all the specs to choose wisely. We have an 81" fan in the living room...it does a fantastic job.

Like many energy saving devices, the cost is hard to justify. $544 for a ceiling fan? That extra cost over the ones we have would take many years of operation to recoup in energy savings.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
I use a window ac. The fan circulates the cool air. I'm working on a screen door which can be left closed when I want critters to stay in the room where the other window ac is. Together they keep most of the house comfortable, but only with the fans circulating the air.

Old house, no central AC. Its also notably 'moist' outside and it keeps the air from getting muggy.

I get to warm I don't feel too good, so the extra bill for the ac's is worth it.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
When I had ceiling fans...you know...I hardly ever, ever turned them on. Just didn't think of it, or see the need.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,624,346 times
As others have said, running the ceiling fan when nobody is in the room doesn't help a thing. The only exception would be if the HVAC system doesn't circulate the heated or cooled air throughout the house effectively by itself, in which case running the fans can help.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
"If we ran them all 24/7 and each one consumes 75 watts, it would come to around $600 a year in electricity for the fans"....that is the benefit of dc motors....using their calculator (click on the performance tab for the calculator), at 29w per hour, and a cost of $0.1186/kwh....that fan would use $0.0034 per hour, or 24x7x365, $30.

The same air flow ac fan would cost about $86/year.

"The only exception would be if the HVAC system doesn't circulate the heated or cooled air throughout the house effectively by itself, in which case running the fans can help"....this is why we run ours, summer and winter.

"Like many energy saving devices, the cost is hard to justify. $544 for a ceiling fan"....some cost more, some cost less.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-07-2017, 05:22 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,679,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Late Fall, Winter, Early Spring the Air is "Pushed" Down to get the warm air off the ceiling and down to the humans living zone.
In Last Spring, Summer, Early Fall the air is "Pulled" up to get the cooler air up from the floor.
That's backwards. In the warmer weather, you want the fan to blow downward, so you feel a breeze on you (the wind chill effect, to cool you down). In the winter, you want the fan to blow upwards, so the fan will disperse the warmer out to the walls and then down. You don't want that direct breeze in the winter, or it will feel like a draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or