U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,637,631 times

Advertisements

we dont have a/c so we run them 24/7 on high. We have box fans too running. All windows open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you aren't in the room to feel the moving air... you don't need to move the air.
A well designed HVAC system doesn't "need the extra help"...
a poorly designed duct system should be fixed.
Then I must have a well designed HVAC system in my current apartment and that's good news! I don't use the ceiling fan because I have dry eyes and fans are the worst for that condition. Every room in my apartment feels comfy with the a/c set at 77 day and night (even with the 100+ heat index due to the humidity outside).

Old 07-15-2017, 03:00 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,499,127 times
My AC is not working. I have a regular fan and it will suffice until Monday.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:29 AM

5,868 posts, read 3,148,828 times
No A/C in my Alaska house, but there are two ceiling fans. I only run them when it's too hot, which is infrequently.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 PM

1,314 posts, read 989,089 times
Ceiling fans in every room here in Phoenix. I think that makes us have 6 total.

Whatever room we are in, they are on most of the year, especially when we are sleeping.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,833,266 times
We leave one fan on the medium setting upstairs and downstairs. If we don't, the house feels stuffy. I think it helps to circulate a little bit of air to the different rooms when the A/C isn't blowing.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 PM

595 posts, read 354,360 times
I run the a/c while I home, and spend a whopping additional $40/month during the summer. Totally worth it IMO. sitting at home sweating in front of a fan is not my idea of how I want to spend my nights and weekends. I normally run both the a/c at a reasonable thermostat setting and a fan on me. Thankfully work a/c is nice and cold during the day.

there are other solutions besides a/c. off the top of my head, you can use a 5 gallon bucket ice with a fan directed on it. I think a bucket of water behind a fan works too, as does misting fans or soaked towel in front or on a fan

Old 07-31-2017, 05:02 AM

741 posts, read 547,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Granted, this is the frugal section. So, I am sure many have figured out the pros and cons of keeping ceiling fans on.
My oldest while pregnant insisted on having fans on, whether she was in room or not. And high speed. Her room, is a hot room, did need it on. Its the room above the garage. It has AC, just not very good at cooling it down.
But, I digress. In the other rooms she frequents, all fans are always on, high speed. I am pretty much done trying to win this battle.
But, does it really help keep rooms cooler by circulating air within the house,rooms to help AC out?
Ceiling fan is on, because I only use air conditioner if the weather is unbearable. I don't use AC unless its extremely hot.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 PM

11,623 posts, read 5,465,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you aren't in the room to feel the moving air... you don't need to move the air.
A well designed HVAC system doesn't "need the extra help"...
a poorly designed duct system should be fixed.
Right. My Dad and SM have this ongoing battle. Well, I think she wins it. She doesn't want to wait for the fan to start cooling in a room she shall be returning to shortly. And this is a very frugal woman. I think he just protests in vain.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 PM

11,623 posts, read 5,465,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Then I must have a well designed HVAC system in my current apartment and that's good news! I don't use the ceiling fan because I have dry eyes and fans are the worst for that condition. Every room in my apartment feels comfy with the a/c set at 77 day and night (even with the 100+ heat index due to the humidity outside).
I hate fans too. Though, I do like the tower fans better than ceiling fans, which I refuse to use. There are kinds of tower fans, not too expensive either, that cool way more than a regular fan. I can't think of the name of them, but I will find it if anyone is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or