U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:07 AM

3,932 posts, read 2,278,535 times

Advertisements

circulating air is important in winter as well as summer. My daily electricity bill hovers around 10 bucks a day.
Maybe because I am paying the bill I am more conscience of it..
Seems whenever someone is actually working to pay for something they appreciate it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't take my word for it:
How do fans make you feel cooler? | HowStuffWorks

If the science is correct... there is a right answer (even if it isn't the one you prefer).

The exception is if you aren't also running the AC which has it's own fan and duct to circulate the air.
But that isn't what the thread is about... is it?
I use two window ac's, at opposite ends of the house so each covers half. The windows are not very high, so they don't effect the temperature much at all without a fan running. Without them, the ac just cools a few feet from the ac.

But I run the fans all year because I like the air flow, and because the heat is also stationary and the fans spread it beyond the unit. I had one which also had a fan, but it was a couple feet off the ground so your legs were warm and the rest of you cold. (heaters are the type where the air is heated around the carbon blocks, and it spreads to fill the room). The new heater just heats the plates and the heats the air, so the fan moving it more evens the heat.

Last edited by nightbird47; 08-01-2017 at 05:11 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 AM

6,308 posts, read 7,990,836 times
I run my ceiling fans for about 9 months of the year 24x7. Only turn them off in the cold months.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,768,404 times
Quote:
A well designed HVAC system doesn't "need the extra help"...
a poorly designed duct system should be fixed.
That is much easier said than done unfortunately.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:06 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
That is much easier said than done unfortunately.
It has been for me. The first floor has always been cool in the winter, and the second floor too warm in the summer. Even the ranch house had warm and cool spots.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,507,242 times
I rarely use my AC, so my ceiling fan is a must....but I only turn on my ceiling fan when I'm in that room. I turn it off when I'm not there.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Quote:
Don't take my word for it:
How do fans make you feel cooler? | HowStuffWorks

If the science is correct... there is a right answer (even if it isn't the one you prefer).

The exception is if you aren't also running the AC which has it's own fan and duct to circulate the air.
But that isn't what the thread is about... is it?

Look at the thermometer, check the temperature. Turn the fan(s) on and after awhile, check the temperature.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,372,405 times
This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
The act of moving air around does nothing directly to cool a room. In fact it's just the opposite. Typical ceiling fans consume 50-100 watts, with virtually all of that getting converted into waste heat. So they are really little bitty heaters.
If you don't believe hikernut, after running a fan ( any fan ) for 10-15 minutes, turn it off an put your hand on the motor and leave it there until you start hearing the sizzle of burning flesh.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:15 PM

18,775 posts, read 6,138,018 times
Where I live it's comfortable, but we do go thru some heat spells. We're in one right now. I have one fan and use it now and then and keep front door open and windows open some. Ceiling fans dry out eyes and throat.

I use to go to a friend's in the desert and slept in a bedroom with ceiling fan and I had to quit going down there.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 PM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
We have had such a mild summer the only ceiling fan we are using is in the bedroom for sleeping. I have to have the air circulating even in the winter; hubby could go all year without the fan. We did have the one in the office on for about a month but now we have shut it off. In fact I think we are about to adjust our a/c up a few degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or