U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 AM

103 posts, read 40,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
It takes 1.5 gallons of cold water before the hot water arrives to my bathroom faucet and shower. So I bottle it in old 1 gallon juice bottles and pour it into a bucket and keep it in the tub. When it's time for my children's bath, I pour out that water from the bucket into the tub so the water is used for their bath.

My local library gives out free paper bags to line our little green garbage can. Love it. It's free.

I wash my clothes in the washer, but hang dry them during the spring and summer. Makes the dryer last longer and I'm sure I'm saving electricity too.
You bathe your children in cold water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 PM

977 posts, read 818,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post

Sure sounds like it! To what: save 5 cents on heating the water.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 AM

473 posts, read 284,071 times
Adjust clothing levels to lifestyle...Started working at home and really just a warmups or basketball shorts wardrobe. Am looking at the dress clothing closely now to minimize to just 2-3 business casual outfits okay for either season and my suit. Most is mix/match anyway...I do keep some casual but like 2-3 pairs of jeans, some shorts of different lengths, skirt or two. Since I'm alone, I dispensed with the PJs except for a 'visiting' pair...Kept 1 swim suit. After moving a few times, really don't want to keep much more. I always changed out of work clothing when I hit the house anyway and wouldn't dream of mowing the lawn in casuals anyway. I do have work-around-house outfit or two that needed to retire. Warm Coat that you could wear into work okay and zipper hoody or windbreaker. Some cities like the formality statement of good casuals but other communities accept sweats/Bball shorts as normal.

Can wear clothing more than once, especially in winter. Wear shirts with arm-pits under sweaters and suit jackets to prolong usage....Cold water wash and hang up to dry will get 2-3 years out of mall=brand clothing. Unless you are $100k+, you can probably try out the washable suits. Burlington Coat Factory always had lots of good deals on suits in clearance season, January & June.

Do shoe maintenance...Is water proofed first. Gets a polish a couple times a season. Scuffs can be polished off. Damage to material can be filled in with black permanent marker. If caught in rain, remove the mud from shoes as soon as you get home using a kitchen knife and brush with newspaper when dry. If you live in wet climate or have muddy parking lot at work, wear in a pair of muck-luck shoes and take your dress shoes in a bag to put on when you get to desk to work. Can leave the almost dead crocs in back of car to wear during rain storms if you get caught out in bad weather.

Scope out the thrift stores near nicer areas...Some of the discount clothing stores just sell mall wear, which is much better quality than Walmart/Target lots of the time....Buy best you can during clearance season, January and June.

If you wear dress clothing to work, replace anything showing wear or looking shabby during the clearance season and put away for next year.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 AM

741 posts, read 547,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelliebell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Sure sounds like it! To what: save 5 cents on heating the water.
You can get away with cold water bathes during the summer..may not be good during the winter.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:08 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,340,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I used to use store plastic bags all the time to through out little bags of trash.
I'd take them to work, and toss them in the large bullet-top cans near the elevator. Heck I pass the elevator every day why not throw a bag in there.

If I'm going to the store -- grocery or big box store or buying club store -- where I know they always have a large trash can outside -- and if I remember -- I'll take a bag and toss it in the trash can there.

Now, I don't do that exclusively and I don't do it so I never had to even have regular trash bags. But if I have a lot of take out trash and I'm heading to work or to the store -- why not take a small bag of trash out with me and toss it in a can I'm going to walk right by anyway.

As I said, I still use regular trash bags. Of course I do. BUT, the smaller trash removal does cut down on how often I even put out a bigger sized trash bag. So that in turn cuts down on how much I spend on trash bags. But what are we talking about....maybe $20.00 a year. Not exactly big bucks.

Also what I HATE DOING is putting out a bigger bag of trash that's NOT FULL. Now THAT is a waste. And sometimes I have food container trash that's starting to get an aroma but no other trash. So THAT's the kind of thing I'll put in the smaller plastic grocery bag and drop off at work or at a store. OR...I'll just keep the smaller bags in my freezer until I get enough of them to put with other trash to make a full kitchen sized trash bag. I hardly EVER have enough trash for a big 33 gallon size black-or-brown trash bag.

Also being SINK,
As a small business owner, I just have to say that our trash containers are for our business trash and for our customers, not the public's household and food trash.

Employees have to empty those small containers which would fill up faster if household trash was going in. Our outdoor bin is shared by 4 small businesses and emptied once a week. Our leases outline what and how much we are allowed to put in our dumpster and any excess we drive to the landfill. Putting rotting food trash in someone else's trash can could draw vermin and insects and will smell.

Just offering the company's side that you may not have considered.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM

2,581 posts, read 1,383,601 times
When my wife and I eat out, we typically share a single entrée. Mainly we do it because its healthier, but a side benefit is that you save 50%. Most restaurants give you too much food -- there have been times when we actually take the leftovers home, for a third meal. We could save more by not eating out at all, but we believe in both being frugal and enjoying our money once in a while too.

Another way we save is that before we buy anything we ask ourselves whether we really need it, and if so, whether we really need it today. Amazing how that cuts down on purchases.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:16 AM

4,340 posts, read 4,430,352 times
Unplug big items when we aren't home. We unplug our tvs, playstation, and computers when we aren't home during the day. Also, we unplugged all of that plus the internet and turned the heater up to 83 when we weren't home for the first 10 days of July. I checked the box before we left and when we got back, we only used 32 kwHs of electricity throughout those 10 days.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,339,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The usual stuff. My climate is hot, so I can't use hacks for cold weather.

Just moved, so I list things I did in prior house, and some of which, but not all yet, that I do in new house.

1. I am hot natured, so heat bothers me a lot. I gradually work up the temp setting on a/c throughout summer, so I get acclimated to it. It's July. I'm at 74 degrees. I'll be at 78 degrees by end of summer.

2. Use ceiling fans when in room I'm in.

3. Use oscillating fans. I have three, and one stationary room fan.

4. I used a SMALL white energy efficient a/c window unit in my bedroom (which can't be seen from street) to sleep at night. I turn the whole house a/c temp up, but can keep the BR cool.

5. I hang dry much of my laundry in bathrooms. It saves energy, as well as wear & tear on clothes. Am considering a portable hanging wheel for outside and/or garage, so can start drying them all in one place, and larger items like a sheet.

6. I keep lights turned off, even when leaving the room for a few minutes.

7. I don't use incandescent light bulbs, any more. I use CFL and LEDs, now that LEDs have come down in price. I much prefer the LEDs.

8. I learned to groom my Cocker Spaniel myself, investing in a good clipper.

9. My old athletic shoes become my new yard work shoes, which I use until they fall apart or come apart at the seams.

10. When I run an errand, I try to run al foreseeable errands, to save on gas.

11. I'm in the process of looking for online sources for household things & pet food & supplies that won't charge me sales tax. Not much luck, since the prices, so far, are higher so that saving on sales tax doesn't matter.

12. I've found that shopping at Sam's Club does save me money. It depends on what you buy, since you have to make up for the member fee. I buy pet treats & supplies, certain bags of fruit, car gasoline, my favorite face cream, lotion packs, cheese, generic nicotine gum.

13. I moved further away from Sam's Club, so that I am going to go there once a month instead of every two weeks. If I run out of things ahead of time, I'll order from Sam's online.

14. I've started checking out the local dollar stores more. There are several near me (Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Fred's). My hair color is there at a reduced price, as well as a few other things. It's also convenient to get in and out in a few minutes & park right in front.

15. I grocery shop at at least two stores, to get certain items at each. In my case, that's WalMart and Market Basket. Even if the other stores have lower prices, they are farther away so it doesn't pay to make the trip, unless I'm going that direction anyway.

16. Have to buy a dryer for the new house. Or do I? I'm considering doing without a dryer altogether. I don't use one much, anyway. I use it mainly for sheets & lightweight blankets & quilts. If I buy the dryer, buying on sale is required (they are on sale right now), and a coupon is better (I have a coupon, too!). Free delivery & install included.

17. Bought my new fridge on a great sale, with great reviews. Researched thoroughly and read all reviews. It is everything I hoped it'd be.

18. I don't have the icemaker & water hooked up to fridge. I use ice trays and a Brita filter pitcher instead. This saves on electricity to run the icemaker & there will be no future repairs to the icemaker or water setup (the #1 repair for fridges). Leaks are far less likely, too.

19. I use generic, whenever possible, IF the generic is good, and IF the price is lower enough.

20. I keep all windows covered, even if it's two-paned glass, exept for limited periods of time at certain times of day, for dog's to look out of.

21. I cut the cable. I use digital antennas. In my new house, they are indoor antennas, but not enough channels, so am going to upgrade to an attic antenna. I am going to see if I can do that myself instead of hiring a service to do it for me.

22. I am going to buy my own modem & router to replace the combo I pay the internet provider for every month.

23. I got a Roku years ago, to add to my tv viewing, when I cut the cable. It's awesome. How did I get along w/o it?

24. I bought some rechargeable batteries. Not sure that saves $, since it takes a long time recharging and they're pricey. But I'm still trying those out.

25. I have a window in secondary bedroom that faces west. The sun hits that window. I have room to plant a quality tree out in the yard that will eventually shade that area. In the meantime, I'm going to put up a lattice thing or a tall shrub in a pot to provide immediate shade. (I think awnings would be too expensive, & sun would still shine in when the sun is low in the sky.)
I do a lot of the same, though I have found rechargeable batteries don't fit some of our electronic devices. We bought an electric trimmer for our cat but the fine hair jambs up the blades so now we use the trimmer to cut my hair lol

Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 PM

9,456 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
It takes 1.5 gallons of cold water before the hot water arrives to my bathroom faucet and shower. So I bottle it in old 1 gallon juice bottles and pour it into a bucket and keep it in the tub. When it's time for my children's bath, I pour out that water from the bucket into the tub so the water is used for their bath.

You bathe your kids in cold water? I thought I was the bad mother!

My local library gives out free paper bags to line our little green garbage can. Love it. It's free.

I wash my clothes in the washer, but hang dry them during the spring and summer. Makes the dryer last longer and I'm sure I'm saving electricity too.

Geez

Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 PM

9,456 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I do a lot of the same, though I have found rechargeable batteries don't fit some of our electronic devices. We bought an electric trimmer for our cat but the fine hair jambs up the blades so now we use the trimmer to cut my hair lol

I couldn't get near my cats with an electric trimmer! They run away when I take out my hairdryer to use on myself! My dh tried to use the blow-dryer on the cat and ended up in the ER requiring multiple stitches. My advice---let cats groom themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living