U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM

858 posts, read 784,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
If you have an older toilet put a gallon or 1/2 gal plastic milk jug filled with water in the basin and you will save that amount of water when you flush.
There is an adjustment to lessen the amount of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM

22,184 posts, read 11,478,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
There is an adjustment to lessen the amount of water.

If you displace a gallon of water you will save a gallon of water.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM

13,411 posts, read 42,768,615 times
You can put a couple of ordinary bricks into the tank of a "full flush" toilet as well, to reduce water use. Don't get carried away or you won't get an effective flush. I prefer that the flush be effective.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 PM

291 posts, read 131,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
It takes 1.5 gallons of cold water before the hot water arrives to my bathroom faucet and shower. So I bottle it in old 1 gallon juice bottles and pour it into a bucket and keep it in the tub. When it's time for my children's bath, I pour out that water from the bucket into the tub so the water is used for their bath.
All that effort and bathing your children in stone cold water, to save maybe a dollar over the course of a month. Wow.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM

22,740 posts, read 21,795,564 times
It's not a cold bath if you turn on the hot water tap only. A few gallons of cool water in the bottom of a tub doesn't mean that she's bathing them in cold water.

I don't know why some here can't figure that out.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 AM

3,483 posts, read 1,990,917 times
Unless your clothes are really stained, 1/2 the amount of detergent will do.

I've found 1/2 a sheet of fabric softener will soften and cut static on even the biggest loads.

For perm press type clothing, put in dryer on heat for 5 minutes, immediately remove and hang on hanger. Will finish air drying and be wrinkle free.

I get the oxygen cleaner at the Dollar tree store. Per weight for the Smaller sized containers comparable to the big ones at Walmart, I save money at Dollar tree.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

I've found 1/2 a sheet of fabric softener will soften and cut static on even the biggest loads.

For perm press type clothing, put in dryer on heat for 5 minutes, immediately remove and hang on hanger. Will finish air drying and be wrinkle free.

I get the oxygen cleaner at the Dollar tree store. Per weight for the Smaller sized containers comparable to the big ones at Walmart, I save money at Dollar tree.

I've read that a couple of balls of aluminum foil in the dryer would defeat static. I'm going to try that.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

I've read that a couple of balls of aluminum foil in the dryer would defeat static. I'm going to try that.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,972,412 times
Today's savings are baking two loaves of bread, making mayo for the potato salad, making the potato salad as well, I suppose. Picking the lettuce, carrots, beets and beans from the garden, knitting some more on a pair of socks and mending a few clothes as well.

Gardening here costs almost nothing. It's a raised bed garden so it's pretty small and doesn't take much water or fertilizer. Although the only fertilizer we use is the bunny manure from our rabbits so it doesn't cost anything no matter how much we use. The plants are all open pollinated so the seeds can be saved for the next planting. Water around here is pretty inexpensive, although I'm thinking of setting up a rainwater catchment system for the garden since I'm sure the plants would like that better than County water. Currently, we're getting lettuce, kale, beets, carrots and beans from the garden. There will be tomatoes and watermelon soon as well as some oats.

For overall frugality, we buy very little at retail rates. Every Saturday we're out to yard sales to see what shows up.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,442,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Today's savings are baking two loaves of bread, making mayo for the potato salad, making the potato salad as well, I suppose. Picking the lettuce, carrots, beets and beans from the garden, knitting some more on a pair of socks and mending a few clothes as well.

Gardening here costs almost nothing. It's a raised bed garden so it's pretty small and doesn't take much water or fertilizer. Although the only fertilizer we use is the bunny manure from our rabbits so it doesn't cost anything no matter how much we use. The plants are all open pollinated so the seeds can be saved for the next planting. Water around here is pretty inexpensive, although I'm thinking of setting up a rainwater catchment system for the garden since I'm sure the plants would like that better than County water. Currently, we're getting lettuce, kale, beets, carrots and beans from the garden. There will be tomatoes and watermelon soon as well as some oats.

For overall frugality, we buy very little at retail rates. Every Saturday we're out to yard sales to see what shows up.

Wow, sounds wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living