U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Ohio
5,627 posts, read 4,644,115 times
Reputation: 6732

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
It takes 1.5 gallons of cold water before the hot water arrives to my bathroom faucet and shower. So I bottle it in old 1 gallon juice bottles and pour it into a bucket and keep it in the tub. When it's time for my children's bath, I pour out that water from the bucket into the tub so the water is used for their bath.

My local library gives out free paper bags to line our little green garbage can. Love it. It's free.

I wash my clothes in the washer, but hang dry them during the spring and summer. Makes the dryer last longer and I'm sure I'm saving electricity too.
When we first moved in our house, we had just the claw foot tub for 5 people to only take baths. Talk about a LOT of water and a HUGE gas bill!!!

We did something similar but i didnt save the water in jugs, i just filled it hot in the AM, whoever bathed that day got water and then at the end of the day drained it.... so you learned quick to be #1 or #2, not #5.

We did a DIY shower hook up ( a lot of thread tape, pipes and a shower head) and now its normal showers for everyone.

Back in the old days, people did it like you and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM
 
Location: USA
1,809 posts, read 2,142,499 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've read that a couple of balls of aluminum foil in the dryer would defeat static. I'm going to try that.


I've always used the aluminum foil balls -- they work great for static
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 2,817,409 times
Reputation: 9280
I'd say take a look at the amount of garbage that goes out for the trash guy each week. If you have to use more than one container for everyday household trash that gets shipped out each week, then you may be too much of a consumer. We have recycle pickup and regular trash pickup.

I live in a city so any plant trimmings get discarded instead of composted so that is extra bags going out, but it's basically the only viable option at this time. Everything that goes to recycling goes in one can. We have weekly pickup, but I only get it emptied once or twice a month depending on need. The rest is regular household trash. We often only need about five thirteen gallon bags per week. That's in a household with five people and two animals. A lot of that is packaging and food trimmings. I see a lot of my neighboring households that use two or more cans for each pickup. That's a lot of money that went out of the wallet to buy those purchases. I see it as a rough indicator of what gets spent each week. My suggestion is to reduce your input to reduce your output.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Central IL
13,389 posts, read 7,146,559 times
Reputation: 31130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
It takes 1.5 gallons of cold water before the hot water arrives to my bathroom faucet and shower. So I bottle it in old 1 gallon juice bottles and pour it into a bucket and keep it in the tub. When it's time for my children's bath, I pour out that water from the bucket into the tub so the water is used for their bath.

My local library gives out free paper bags to line our little green garbage can. Love it. It's free.

I wash my clothes in the washer, but hang dry them during the spring and summer. Makes the dryer last longer and I'm sure I'm saving electricity too.
Why just your kids? Why don't YOU take baths in that water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,738 posts, read 21,787,854 times
Reputation: 27802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I've always used the aluminum foil balls -- they work great for static
Thank you. I'll do that from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
977 posts, read 818,776 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
When we first moved in our house, we had just the claw foot tub for 5 people to only take baths. Talk about a LOT of water and a HUGE gas bill!!!

We did something similar but i didnt save the water in jugs, i just filled it hot in the AM, whoever bathed that day got water and then at the end of the day drained it.... so you learned quick to be #1 or #2, not #5.

We did a DIY shower hook up ( a lot of thread tape, pipes and a shower head) and now its normal showers for everyone.

Back in the old days, people did it like you and I.
That is gross! It would make more sense just to wipe yourself down with soap and rag. Why would anyone get in a tub of water that someone just bathed themselves in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,738 posts, read 21,787,854 times
Reputation: 27802
My mother used to put a couple of us in the tub together. My sister and I shared a tub many times. Girls day and boys day. Mom and dad probably shared. I don't know because I was in bed.

I remember my mom washing my face, neck, arms and legs at the big cast iron sink in the kitchen. I remember her saying, "How on earth do you get so dirty?" I was the dirty kid. The other three were cleaner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
977 posts, read 818,776 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother used to put a couple of us in the tub together. My sister and I shared a tub many times. Girls day and boys day. Mom and dad probably shared. I don't know because I was in bed.

I remember my mom washing my face, neck, arms and legs at the big cast iron sink in the kitchen. I remember her saying, "How on earth do you get so dirty?" I was the dirty kid. The other three were cleaner?
Why don't you ask your mom and dad.

I'm talking about using bath water that has sat all day and is dirty. Might as well go outside and douse oneself with the garden hose. Would be hygentically cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
977 posts, read 818,776 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why just your kids? Why don't YOU take baths in that water?
Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2017, 02:25 AM
 
3,479 posts, read 1,990,917 times
Reputation: 7898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've read that a couple of balls of aluminum foil in the dryer would defeat static. I'm going to try that.
Well balls in the dryer will help fluff and reduce drying time.

I added 3 tennis balls to the dryer and it works.

I don't know about aluminum foil balls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top