U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 AM

30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times

Advertisements

I have never subscribed to cable TV. I wouldn't cut my internet as it is important nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:14 AM

244 posts, read 126,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
If you have an ipad or similar tablet that has cellular data (not just the wifi tablets, it must have cellular also), for $25-35 a month you can have internet via the cell data. I forget how much data you get (my company pays for mine), but unless you are watching a movie or lots of you tube videos, you should not go over your data limit.

If you do go over -- you are not automatically charged, you get an alert and it's up to you to buy more data or just wait until your next month cycle

No IPAD or Tablet but I am on a shared phone plan where we have 5GB of data between 3 people that don't use it much. Our biggest total from the past 5 months was 1.56 GB but I know a lot of that was my streaming of music through the phone (Spotify). I could easily do without streaming music through the phone. If we go over the 5GB limit it is $10 per GB after that.

My community also has free Wi-Fi but it has been 5 years since I even attempted to use it. My recollection was that it is very slow and drops the connection fairly often so I don't think that would be usable.

I think I need to experiment with using the cellular data which should be fairly easy. I am not sure it is going to be fast/reliable enough for working from home but I won't know for sure until I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graterdaze View Post
The people I know who drop internet its usually within two weeks they get it hooked back up. I have not known anyone to drop internet and stay dropped , unless they truly couldn't afford it.

The only way to find out is for me to try but I won't actually cut it off without trying it for an extended period first. I can simply unhook the connection for a period of time and test out whether or not I can live without it. I looked at all the services I have and between TV/Internet/Paid Services the total nut is $2070 after tax dollars per year ($2049.30 if you take out the cash back I will lose from those being credit card transactions). That has me really considering it.

I will still have plenty of high-speed internet access at work or in a pinch I could bother a friend/relative if I really needed to.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,441,686 times
I cut cable and got a Leaf antenna., works well. But cutting out internet? I couldn't.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM

28,409 posts, read 2,213,490 times
I will skimp on other things before I cut off cable tv or my internet. We also need to keep the things we enjoy, & I enjoy some tv shows & I like being on the internet.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 AM

473 posts, read 284,499 times
Been through this myself moving around. Is GREAT to have more than 1 option for wired internet so always check for competition. Unless you work from home or multiple kids who want to stream videos at same time, 50 gbps is probably a waste. You might look around on websites for these companies to see if there is cheaper package they won't discuss....some of the sales stuff is SO cut-throat in digital services any more.

If you don't stream much video, you could probably tether another device to your no-limit data cell phone and be just fine. Of course, the cell contracts are about $90 for no-limit data....pre-paid not contract phones usually do have a data limit.

Can try to use your cell tethered to another device for a week and check usage just as a test to see if you can just cut the cable/wired internet completely....

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM

The only real options in my area for Wired internet are Verizon or Comcast which I get are more options than some have. Comcast might be an option as they have an introductory offer for a year but then it goes up to the exact same price as Verizon. With their past problems I am not very excited to get involved with them. Some quality time was spent researching all providers in my area.

There are not many Satellite providers left and the prices they offer are not much better and they will throttle bandwidth after a certain threshold. I have also heard of some horror stories with their service which is no different than the Wired providers. At this point I am ready to be done with all of them.

If I cut it off I don't plan to stream any video. It will be used just for light web surfing and occasional work from home. I have an HD antenna which is OK but I am not sure I will even watch that much. For sports I am left with what is on 'regular' TV and when all else fails the radio.

This morning I had my cell provider turn on the ability for USB Tethering so I will be giving it a test run hopefully this week and monitoring the usage.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 AM

Only had 15 minutes to test it out last night but was easily able to use the phone as a hotspot and work remotely on the home computer. It didn't eat up a lot of data but it will obviously need a much longer test.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM

6,167 posts, read 3,259,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpty View Post
Yesterday I finally had enough and called my provider (FIOS) to drop the TV but kept the internet. When they told me the price for the internet only would be $90 I asked what I could downgrade to (have 50 Mbps Down currently). They only told me there was 3Mbps down for $65 per month which there is no way I was paying that much for so little. I was considering just dumping everything.

Today I went onto my account to make sure there were no other options and lo and behold there was 25Mbps for $15 less per month. Sneaky phone reps irk me. At $75 per month for 25Mbps it is still too much but at least somewhat easier to swallow. Should save me about $50 to $60 per month over what I was paying for TV and internet so for now have downgraded to that. I should probably drop FIOS just for the shady way they went about that but then my only other choice seems to be Xfinity which we all know their problems.

Now the choice is either to drop internet completely or switch to Xfinity for their introductory rate of $40 per month (which jumps to the $75 per month after the first year is up). The biggest thing holding me back from dropping it altogether is that I very occasionally need to do some work from home. If the price were o stay at around a max of $50 per month it wouldn't be much of an issue. At $900 per year the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. I really don't even need that much speed but that is the lowest speed they offer.

If I can find a way around the work need for internet then I just might drop it all together. No specific questions here but wonder if anyone else has dropped internet and cable TV all together? Dumping everything would be the equivalent of a $2k raise which is likely more than I will get as a raise this year. Tempting.
There are options if you have a phone with wifi, or the like. Check out cordcutter sites.

cordcutternews.com or cordcuttertechsupport OR their counterparts on Facebook. Facebook might be your best bet to get advice.

I think you can pay for wifi on your phone, unlimited data, and use that as a hotspot? Something like that. T-Mobile may be the cheapest on that

I'm a cordcutter. I have a digital antenna for each tv (not many stations here, but in big cities, people can get a lot more stations).

I pay $70 for 25MB broadband with VOIP phone. I have an Ooma so will cut the phone part, which should drop the bill to $60. My only other choice is MORE expensive, so I'll be stuck w/this broadband.

I have a Roku (thousands of FREE channels).

I subscribe to Netflix & Amazon Prime.

So I pay $89/month for phone, internet 25mb, Netflix, Amazon Prime. Hopefully will drop to $73/month after dropping VOIP and rental for modem/router (I just bought my own).

As for whether a hotspot from phone is good enough for streaming, I don't know. Corcutters Tech Support people can tell you. (I use a cheap prepaid phone, so I don't have a system for using it for hotspot.)

Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,582,235 times
I grew up with frugal living and have worked very hard for many years to avoid frugal living. I choose my luxuries and they include cable TV, Internet and a fast automobile.

IMHO - Frugal living is a synonym for genteel poverty. I want nothing to do with either.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:07 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,778,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I grew up with frugal living and have worked very hard for many years to avoid frugal living. I choose my luxuries and they include cable TV, Internet and a fast automobile.

IMHO - Frugal living is a synonym for genteel poverty. I want nothing to do with either.
Then why are you in this group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living