U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I get a good deal on my internet, because the person on the other side of the wall has cable. So I pay him $30/month for my use of the internet. The connection gets very slow when he's watching TV, but I'm good with that.

I tried signing up for my own internet-only connection from Comcast. Supposedly, it was an introductory offer for $40/month for a year. They lied, and lied, and lied... Got out of that. I TOTALLY understand why cable companies are so thoroughly hated.

If my neighbor moved, and I couldn't get the same deal from the new folks? I'd adjust my life and use the library instead.
Um, I had a similar situation. The woman down stairs apt paid the cable and ours was pirated off hers, before we moved in. When her bf got a hair across his butt, he told the cable company we were stealing cable, and she warned us.
We disconnected, but the cable company showed up to have us arrested. There was no evidence as we had antenna connected then, but it caused trouble.

We had to contact the cable company and our unit had to have it's own connection. The cable guy actually connected the same way it was!!

I called and told them I wanted a WHOLE SEPARATE installation as we had been accused of stealing cable with that type of connection. They weren't happy to send out installer again, but I demanded.

If you get caught, you could be arrested for stealing cable, even if you have his permission.

Just to alert you! TWO units cannot legally share cable or Internet service!

Beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 04:46 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Dropping internet connectivity is like dropping electricity or plumbing, no real point to doing it unless you're going off the grid for good.
These days true.

My OH has to file work reports from home, so we need some kind of net connection. We also have a landline with the cable company.

What I take issue with is the cost/value of cable TV. We are now in the middle of getting a package deal that was $5 cheaper than we were paying for a few channels, net and tv when TWC was bought and changed to spectrum.

We will cut out the TV and go Roku again. The tv will be the base local channels ONLY. And net speed? I see absolutely no difference for the faster speed we get now!

So as long as we have 15 speed, we can Roku cheaper.
My OH is not fond of Roku, but I like it.

After all you can really only watch one channel at a time, or flip between two at most.

It's unfortunate that they "have you" and can really put the screws to you badly.
Then they wonder why they lose subscribers!

Grrr.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpty View Post
I will still have TV access (HD Antenna & DVD's), very basic internet through my phone and highspeed internet through work. It means giving up some things that I would do now with the broadband internet in my home but I don't feel the juice is worth the squeeze anymore. I am willing to skimp on the TV and internet for the price they are asking. I can do much better things with that money.
Comcast has improved their customer service within the past couple years. Their products are top notch. I have a Double Play Internet and Phone for $60 (not including the combo VOIP/Cable modem and the customary taxes and fees). Their VOIP phone allows me to call the U.S. and territories, Canada, Mexico, India, China/Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea for free. There is a texting feature on the website and the mobile app.

The local phone company's POTS line is $20-30/month and it's an extra $6 for Houston AT&T exchanges within 20-25 miles of Downtown to be included as the local calling area. Also slower DSL vs. faster cable internet speeds made the decision a no-brainer.

Keeping a smartphone was $100/month (including device installment payments) and cell signals are spotty at best in this affluent neighborhood due to the lack of towers. I ended canceling my cell phone after the contract was up due to the lack of utility for the price and just have only one number and voicemail to deal with. I've waited 14 years for improved cell service but nothing has happened!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 AM

244 posts, read 125,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Comcast has improved their customer service within the past couple years. Their products are top notch. I have a Double Play Internet and Phone for $60 (not including the combo VOIP/Cable modem and the customary taxes and fees). Their VOIP phone allows me to call the U.S. and territories, Canada, Mexico, India, China/Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea for free. There is a texting feature on the website and the mobile app.

The local phone company's POTS line is $20-30/month and it's an extra $6 for Houston AT&T exchanges within 20-25 miles of Downtown to be included as the local calling area. Also slower DSL vs. faster cable internet speeds made the decision a no-brainer.

Keeping a smartphone was $100/month (including device installment payments) and cell signals are spotty at best in this affluent neighborhood due to the lack of towers. I ended canceling my cell phone after the contract was up due to the lack of utility for the price and just have only one number and voicemail to deal with. I've waited 14 years for improved cell service but nothing has happened!

I'm not seeing much of a change in how consumers view Comcast. It's not hard to improve something that is that poor to begin with. Personally I have dealt with them twice in the last year for business and didn't get the warm and fuzzies from their services provided (Sales and Install). Sure, their internet connections work fine but so does the very limited competitions.

I am struggling with it at this point. I would like to keep high speed internet and even some cable TV. However, at the prices they are charging it is making me think very hard about just dropping it. If Comcast had a good/mediocre history it would be a much easier decision.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 AM

9,065 posts, read 9,221,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpty View Post
If I can find a way around the work need for internet then I just might drop it all together. No specific questions here but wonder if anyone else has dropped internet and cable TV all together? Dumping everything would be the equivalent of a $2k raise which is likely more than I will get as a raise this year. Tempting.

Although many people gave up DSL years ago, I was surprised to find that in some cities DSL has decent speeds. A friend of mine couldn't afford cable at around $140 a month and got DSL internet only for $40 and a choice of $10 month rental or purchase of $100 for the modem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living