U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 PM

9,874 posts, read 5,783,385 times

Advertisements

Do you really go through dressings and marinades that quick that you have to buy them every 2 weeks?
We still have a bottle of marinade in the fridge from..., let's just say more than several weeks ago.
I was also going to mention peanut butter but let that slide.
I don't know, there's only 2 of us but I don't recall spending that much. Maybe once (holiday and guests). Which brings me to question, as I haven't seen it mentioned yet. How many are you feeding at home?
Are you throwing parties/entertaining often?
Do you use coupons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 10:47 PM

16,238 posts, read 7,116,625 times
Too much convenience foods!

Make your own almond milk, make your own yogurt, make your own salad dressings, etc, etc, etc. ANYTHING that is pre-processed, ready-to-eat or ready-to-use - take a long look at it, and ask yourself how hard would it be to do it yourself. Usually, it isn't hard at all.

If you're coming home starving, and don't want to have to think too much about cooking, get organized. Develop several regular weekly menus. Do prep work in batches on the weekend. Buy a slow cooker, and learn how to use it. I eat soup all year round. Cook up a batch on the weekends, freeze it in single-meal portions. I always have two different kinds of soup in my freezer.

Pick three items on the shopping list you posted to make from scratch. Once you've got that down, pick three more. Etc.

Last edited by jacqueg; 07-22-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 AM

8,229 posts, read 4,156,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
see bolded above.
Cool thanks.

No pretty much everything I buy is store brands. From marinades to cheese to milk to rolls to bread. Unfortunately store pretzels aren't a real deal $2 for a bag of pretzels paying the same for the tub.

I really need to utilize coupons more.

Also should and will look into the big bag of rice cook as I need it. Also dried beans in lieu of can beans.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Do you really go through dressings and marinades that quick that you have to buy them every 2 weeks?
We still have a bottle of marinade in the fridge from..., let's just say more than several weeks ago.
I was also going to mention peanut butter but let that slide.
I don't know, there's only 2 of us but I don't recall spending that much. Maybe once (holiday and guests). Which brings me to question, as I haven't seen it mentioned yet. How many are you feeding at home?
Are you throwing parties/entertaining often?
Do you use coupons?
Just the wife and I. Maybe once a week the MIL. I think food in the Northeast is expensive it stinks.

I probably get 6 meals out of one marinade. Bern buying the McCormick seasonings 1 container with Apple cider vinegar can last a month or two.

Basically our meals for the week are:
Wife yogurt and granola in the morning
Me peanut butter bagel, honey, and banana Or 2 packs of oatmeal, frozen fruit, and honey
Snack 1
Wife pretzel peanut butter a 1/2 cup
Me 5 pretzel rods and a fruit
Lunch
Pb&J or Veggie Burgers or Veggie sandwiches
Snack 2
Carrots and hummus
Sometimes I'll have a yogurt
Dinner
Chicken/Veggies/Rice or Fish/Tofu/Rice or Pasta/Beans/Veggies
Snack 3
Yogurt
Then if working or a hard workout dat have a 4th snack of peanut butter sandwich
Then in the winter dinner is usually soup or meatballs.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 AM

[quote=lukas1973;48927926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
My wife and I we buy groceries biweekly. Usually paying $220 to $240 for 2 weeks of groceries. In the winter we usually get the bill to $180. Only difference in the winter is we do a week of soup and the following week turkey meatballs. Then 6 days of chicken in those 2 weeks.

Our grocery list and cost is as such:
Almond Milk usually store brand or name brand on sale - 2 for $6

Why you buy such overpriced yogurts? Reasonable priced yogurts would cost you just one third of that. That's actually the cheapest yogurt ha. Store brand is now more expensive

Just buy normal cheese and shred it with the grater yourself.
Think blocks cost about the same $3 bucks and $6 bucks for the large block. Think it's a $1 less on store brand.

Don't buy such overpriced crap.

One pack of store brand whole wheat pasta for $2? Go to cheaper store.

Just buy normal rice instead.

Don't buy such overpriced crap. And when you shop only biweekly, how do you kept the lettuce fresh?
We usually buy 2 tubs then go back out for another 2 tubs

A can of beans for $1 and that's already on sale? Yep

Just by normal oatmeal, they will cost you just a fraction.
I might go back to the store brand saves me $1 a box.

Buy reasonable priced carrots. Carrots cost almost nothing.

Why you buy such overpriced food? And you are wondering why you have such a huge grocery bill?

You can get it for one fourth of that.

Don't buy such overpriced crap food.

Don't buy fancy organic free range eggs.

Don't buy the most expensive one.

Don't buy organic ones.

Where you can buy a bag of onions for $4? Are they wraped in gold foil? Onions cost almost nothing. That's actually pretty cheap up here ha

Doesn't sound like splurging to me. More like living on the brink.

Just shop at reasonable priced grocery stores.
We found Shoprite to be the cheapest so far. Stop and Shop is a tad bit more expensive. Yet to shop at Aldis might check them out.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,802 posts, read 37,487,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Cool thanks.

No pretty much everything I buy is store brands. From marinades to cheese to milk to rolls to bread. Unfortunately store pretzels aren't a real deal $2 for a bag of pretzels paying the same for the tub. (Cut down on the pretzels (if you are over age 50)

I really need to utilize coupons more. (Yesterday, I turned a $26 purchase into $12 using coupons. )

Also should and will look into the big bag of rice cook as I need it. Also dried beans in lieu of can beans.
instant pot / fast cooker for Rice and beans
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/d...r-recipes.html

Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,642,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Take $200 in cash, place your most needed stuff on the checkout first, tell the cashier you can't pay anything over $200. Let it roll. Did this myself a few weeks ago with the kids, who wanted a summer party. The amount was also $200. It worked out well. The cart had $77 more the $200 limit, and it was returned to the shelves.
Thats what i do!

--------------
OP- I find it hard to believe Stop n Shop is cheaper than Aldi. Aldi has yogurt for .33c for example.

You have WAY too many boxed/quick foods. Not junk really but it adds up. PLUS youre doubling on some things- why buy chicken and then buy single serve chicken? Thats silly.

We feed a family of 5 on $50 every 2 weeks at Aldi. Pets are seperate on the budget- we have 7 pets and spend $40-$50 every 2 weeks ( except this coming week, im only spending $10 since i bought ahead). We dont buy fancy organic stuff but we dont buy all junk boxed stuff either. I bought a 3lb thing of hamburger for $7 and it made: Meatloaf, Tacos and Burgers.

I used to spend a lot at kroger and we just couldnt anymore. Coupons, special cards and sales were not making our budget go down by much. It was ranging from $100-$200 every week...

Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 PM

13,713 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Take $200 in cash, place your most needed stuff on the checkout first, tell the cashier you can't pay anything over $200. Let it roll. Did this myself a few weeks ago with the kids, who wanted a summer party. The amount was also $200. It worked out well. The cart had $77 more the $200 limit, and it was returned to the shelves.
Why should the cashier and other customers be burdened by your inability to keep to the budget? How difficult would it be to carry a calculator or cell phone and keep a running total of what you spend?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,642,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why should the cashier and other customers be burdened by your inability to keep to the budget? How difficult would it be to carry a calculator or cell phone and keep a running total of what you spend?
Its not a burden on anyone else. It takes the same amount of time.....

But i guess youre better than those of us with less money and we are too dumb to figure it out right??

Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 PM

9,491 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Learn what days your local stores reduce their close dated meats and cull their fruits and veggies, sometimes you can get some pretty good deals on items that you can prep and freeze or use up within 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or