U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 PM

866 posts, read 446,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I don't think that he wants to live like someone from a third world country in Africa.
According to the OPs responses, he/she does indeed see the value in cooking rice and beans. Perhaps you should read the responses before responding? Since it appears you are not well traveled, heads up, rice and beans are staples around the world. I've never heard anybody refer to Japan as a 3rd world country but they sure do eat a lot of rice.

I enjoy many bean dishes as well as rice dishes and live comfortably in the US. It's not just for the third world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
instant pot / fast cooker for Rice and beans
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/d...r-recipes.html
This is a good idea as long as you can justify spending $100 on a cooking appliance. It will save you money by making it easy to cook beans and rice and meat. You can make yogurt in it too, which is really easy and cheap...I spend $4 to make a gallon of yogurt, less if I don't need to buy yogurt starter that week. I make granola and we all eat yogurt and fruit with granola on top for breakfast.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why should the cashier and other customers be burdened by your inability to keep to the budget? How difficult would it be to carry a calculator or cell phone and keep a running total of what you spend?
I don't see this as a burden on a cashier. Once he gets up to $200, he'll see it on his screen and so will the customer.

However, this would not be my personal money saving tactic.

I'd just eliminate any stuff I don't need from my grocery bill. Buy the basics only. Example, I stopped buying jars of salsa, as it's a condiment I really don't need. Sodas, sweetened yogurts and ice cream all get banned from my shopping cart, too.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Oh, and yes, rice and beans is a great meal.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:31 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't see this as a burden on a cashier. Once he gets up to $200, he'll see it on his screen and so will the customer.
It is wasteful, my daughter said when she was a cashier that they would have to throw away a goodly amount of meat, dairy and frozen products they couldn't get back to the shelves in a timely manner. People, especially those on a budget, should have a good idea of how much is in their cart before they hit the checkout.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
My wife and I we buy groceries biweekly. Usually paying $220 to $240 for 2 weeks of groceries. In the winter we usually get the bill to $180. Only difference in the winter is we do a week of soup and the following week turkey meatballs. Then 6 days of chicken in those 2 weeks.

2 bags of name brand shredded cheese - About $4-$5 for 2 bags Shredded cheese is usually less for more money.
Store brand circle bread - $2 each usually pick up 4 Shop Rite and Aldi sell bread for $1
Store brand whole wheat 8 pack of rolls - $2.50 Can get these for $2 or less at SR/Aldi
Store brand veggie burgers 4 for $3 each
2 packs of Tofu or a 5 pack of fish if on sale usually cost about $4 to $5 total
Chicken we mostly eat chicken. So we used to buy the name brand organic that was 5 pieces for $4. Now we found that the store brand usually has 10 to 12 pieces for $5 to $6. We usually eat chicken for 10 nights an 2 pieces. So usually pick up 4 packs for about $20. Buy chicken when it's on sale. Buy a bunch of it. Freeze what you don't have. It's always on sale for .99/lb or less.
Then sometimes the Perdue single portions go on sale for $5.99 pick up 5 of those if they do. Pretty good deal and good to have in the freezer.
Usually every month pick up family size of chicken nuggets last us 4 weeks.
Pick up 4 store brand whole wheat pasta that is about $8 Why do you buy store brand when SR has name brands on sale for .77-.99/box regularly?
Pick up 4 to 5 instant pouch rice for $2.50 each box Stick to regular rice or what you described below.
If there is a rice on sale for a $1 usually pick up 4 boxes of those to have on the side
During the summer we pick up 1 or 2 veggies on sale
Usually 4 store brand lettuce bags. Most sales are 2 for $5. So that's $10 there. I don't care for Aldi/SR for fruits and veggies but surely you can find a head of lettuce SOMEWHERE for $1-$1.50. Rip it up and make your own bag of lettuce.
When can sales go on we grab mostly beans for $1 each. Like to have at least 5 cans of beans in the house. White beans, cheese, whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, and mushrooms make a great quick meal.
Usually pick up 4 containers of mushrooms for $2 each
Oatmeal usually get us 4 boxes for $2.50 each box
Pick up 8 frozen veggies. Usually a sale of 2 for $4 or some go on sale for $1.75. Can get these even at Dollar Tree.
Pick up 4 bags of frozen peppers and onions. Can also get those at Dollar Tree. And the frozen veggies go on sale a lot at SR for $1/bag
Pick up regular or sweet potatoes depending, which ones are on sale. Pick up 4 for $2 so usually pick up 8 potatoes
Grab a bag of carrots depending what is on sale. Usually the 2 pound bag is 2 for $5 or the $5 pound bag is on sale for $5.99
Then 3 containers of the store brand hummus (2 for $4)
Crushed ginger for $4
Chili Past $4
Feta Cheese 2 containers for $6
Dressing 2 for $6 Too much money. They are always on sale for less.
Marinades 2 for $6
Then usually a random spice for $3
Then 4 bags of peanut butter pretzels for $12 total Sounds like a lot.
Tub of pretzel rods for $6
Seltzer a 24 pack last us about 4 weeks for $6
Eggs usually $2.50 on sale most of the time last us 2 weeks Eggs have been pretty cheap lately and are always like $1 for the past year at Aldi.
Store brand bagels or English muffins 2 packs for $4 total
Peanut butter 1 tub $3 Always on sale 2 for $4
Jelly $3 Can get cheaper at Aldi on a regular basis. It's $1.change there.
Honey $5 but last us 4 weeks
Bananas 2 bunches cost us about $1.50 each bunch
Frozen store brand fruit 2 for $6 last us about 2 weeks
Packaged beets 1 pack for $2 last 2 weeks
Crushed garlic jar last us about 4 months cost about $5 a jar
Cucumbers 1 to 2 for about $1 to $2 a cuke
Container of sliced olives $3.50
Bag of onions for $4
Random times maybe once a month we splurge on a pound of turkey lunch meat and pita bread
Also once a month ice cream or store made cookies
Cat litter for $8 once a month
Cat food $8 once a month as well

That's about the jist of our groceries

Any advice on how to help us lower cost?
I think you need to shop sales more and keep track of what is a good price for something.
A lot of things I don't care for at Aldi (meat, fruits/veggies) but a lot of their stuff is at a low price all of the time.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:16 AM

1,372 posts, read 701,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
According to the OPs responses, he/she does indeed see the value in cooking rice and beans. Perhaps you should read the responses before responding? Since it appears you are not well traveled, heads up, rice and beans are staples around the world. I've never heard anybody refer to Japan as a 3rd world country but they sure do eat a lot of rice.

I enjoy many bean dishes as well as rice dishes and live comfortably in the US. It's not just for the third world.

You don't understand what I meant.
First, be assured that I'm well travelled.
Second, I eat a lot of rice, because I like rice. Of course people in all first world countries eat a lot of rice, beans, pasta, potatoes or oatmeal. But they don't eat it because it's cheap but because they like it or because it's healthy. I doubt that there is a noteworthy number of people in first world countries that are financially forced to feed themselves mainly with cheap staple foods.
Recommending someone from a first world country to eat even more rice and beans to lower his grocery costs will put him in my opinion on a similar level like people in poor third world countries.
I'm quite frugal when it comes to groceries, but I have never thought, oh I could eat oatmeal for breakfast instead of salmon.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

However, this would not be my personal money saving tactic.

I'd just eliminate any stuff I don't need from my grocery bill. Buy the basics only. Example, I stopped buying jars of salsa, as it's a condiment I really don't need. Sodas, sweetened yogurts and ice cream all get banned from my shopping cart, too.

No, how it usually happens is the cashier tells the customer that the total is $235. The customer says that she only has $200. So then, the customer starts grabbing items and handing them back to the cashier. Each item has to be voided and generally at the end, the customer supervisor has to enter her code into the cash register. Meanwhile, while this drama is going on, the three or four customers have to wait even longer in line. I don't care what one poster says, that is INCONSIDERATE of the other customers.

The average third grader can run a calculator to make sure that they don't buy what they can't pay for.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM

102 posts, read 47,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Get the veggie burgers at Dollar Tree, you get 2 in a box for a buck. That is less than half of what you currently pay. You could also cook your beans from scratch & save some money, likewise the hummus, but that is a lot of time in the kitchen, not sure if that appeals to you.

You can cook a big pot of beans & freeze it in meal or can size bags, so you have beans ready to go when you need them, instead of opening a can. Cooking a big pot & portioning it out, also saves time, as well as money.
Sorry that this is late: how are the veggie burgers at Dollar Tree?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:39 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times
RunD:

Please DO Check out Aldi.

This week's flyer:
Cantaloupe: $1.29 each!
Pure Aqua24 pack water: $2.29
Sundae shop ice cream 4.5 quarts for a $4.29(that's a lot of ice cream if you like it)

Fusia stir fry Frozen dinner for two 32 oz frozen for $2.29.
Canned veggies are usually.59 a can.
Coffee is $3.69 / bag.
Milk is like .79 a gallon or a dollar a gallon.
Bagged salad mix is .69 or 1.69 for ceasar sald mix package.
Head lettuce.39 a head.
I'm just mentioning a few items I know are 2 or 3 x as expensive in grocery store. If you know the regular price of these it's you will see the difference.
Last week all bagged snacks were $1.29/ bag.

A big bag of rice is cheap, cook up a large batch, freeze the rest in serving sizes to microwave, so you aren't spending 45 mins cooking rice every night you want it.

Oatmeal is in a huge drum for $2.29 in either quick or old fashioned rolled oats. I use old fashioned and 3/4 c water , 1/2 cup oatmeal and microwave for 1.30. I add a tablespoon of unsweetened Cocoa and 2 teaspoons of stevia for sweetner ( I'm diabetic), or on occasion I'll add a tbs. Of real maple syrup teaspoon brown sugar and teaspoon of stevia ( maple and brown sugar).
Aldi fruit and veggies are cheaper, and I find little difference, but I don't buy organic anyway.
Deli meat 1 lb package same as a 6 oz pkg at the supermarket. Cheeses, sliced and imported are cheap.

Mayo is like$1.99 compared to $3.00
You seem to like peanut butter, you won't believe this price for the size you get!
Same with jam/jelly/preserves.

You have to put a quarter in the cart to "until" it but you get your quarter back when done. Take your own bags or buy their reusable bags. You have to bag yourself.

Ps. I live in NY so price here should be equivalent to yours in the NE.

Try Aldi "store brand" at the cheap price and you'll go back I guarantee you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or