U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 AM

2,494 posts, read 1,854,719 times

Advertisements

I have 10 grocery stores (2 Super Targets, 1 Walmart, 1 Aldi's, 1 Fiesta, 1 Sprouts, 1 Kroger, 1 Whole Foods, 1 Trader Joe's and 1 Tom Thumb) within a 4-5 mile radius. If you bump that radius to about 6 or 7 miles, you could almost double that grocery store count.

No single store does everything well. Sprouts is my favorite for produce and certain cuts of meat. The other stores are used to fill in the blanks, so to speak. The Tom Thumb I visit is open 24-hrs so it's a good place to check out for last second shopping or random late night cravings. Target is probably my favorite for non food items, seasonings etc. Walmart is a little bit cheaper on some items, but it's just not worth it. In my area Super Target >>>>>>>>> Super Walmart and it's not even remotely close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 835,161 times
I do too. It just kind of depends on what I feel like that day, in terms of which store I'll use.
I live within a 2 mile radius of most of the stores I frequent. My main store would be Winco, then my sis and I will hit TJs for something different...if I'm in a hurry it's
Foodmax and the self check-out. They had big delicious peaches for my peach crisp I made yesterday!!

I really like having all these options to choose from.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,901,989 times
Absolutely NOT. I despise grocery shopping. It's all you can do to drag me to one every 10 days or so. It would be over my dead body that I would go to 2 or more in one day or week or month.

My dumb neighbor drives 4 miles round trip to a grocery store she doesn't shop at to save 7 cents on a box of freaking jello. The gas, wear and tear on her car, traffic, and time she wastes is mind-boggling. She brags about the 6 different stores she frequents because such-and-such saves her 10 cents on toilet paper, so-and-so saves her 15 cents on peaches, and so forth. Dumber than a box of rocks.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM

72,716 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
How many of you in order save money divide up your regular supermarket shopping among a few different stores to save money? I know this can be time consuming, but from my experience sometimes it is worthwhile especially when buying larger amounts of whatever product/s one consumes.
It's extremely common where I live. People supermarket hop not only to save money, some people do it because they can't find all their favorite products or brands in one store. They have to chase all over town to fill the grocery bag.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 PM

10,715 posts, read 19,061,208 times
We've had many threads on this - it's just basic shopping wisely: buy the best priced items at whichever stores at that time (certainly don't drive for hrs.) but.... it's not "hopping" it's SHOPPING.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:09 PM

13,711 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Over the course of a year, I hit 30-35 different grocery stores. I NEVER go out of my way to shop anywhere and I wait until I am in the area. Generally, I maintain lists for certain stores so I know what I need to pick up at a given store.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:20 PM

119 posts, read 54,566 times
Most definitely, but not necessarily in the same day. In our area shopping centers & markets are everywhere! Almost all the stores where we shop are within a 2 to 10 minute drive from our home, including two supermarkets that are a short walk.

Costco, Wegman's, Walmart, & Aldi are for our staples. Local farm market for produce. Family owned Italian market for quality deli & fresh bread/rolls/desserts. The other half dozen supermarkets nearby are for sale items.

We do find it difficult to find the quality, brands, and prices we're looking for all in one store. Hubby's retired & I only work part-time, so we have the time & we both enjoy shopping, together or alone.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:32 PM

4,982 posts, read 5,455,906 times
Yes, me too, however in the summer I start at the Saturday farmer's market first for meat and produce and sometimes that's it for the week. I've been trying to do the "pantry shopping" once a month at Aldi/Walmart and then loss leaders and several gourmet items (WI cheese!) at Hyvee.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:57 PM

12,657 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Half saving money, half buying the items at a specific store that I think are of better quality. Also, if stores are the only ones selling a product I want.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:54 AM

6,029 posts, read 6,525,537 times
For about a month -- so four weeks give or take -- I tried supermarket "hopping." Four or FIVE stores in one day.....to buy two or three things that were on sale at each store, and then go to my specialty stores that were the only place I could get certain items.

It wore me out. The mainstream supermarkets were in about a three mile stretch. But the other stores like Trader Joes, Whole Foods or a health food store were up to 15 miles away. Granted, those stores were on every trip. But sometimes they were included.

First, there was the time to look at each circular, see what was on sale where, and then plan the order.
Plus the use of gas and time. I starting doubting the merits of it. And in short order then decided -- that kind of shopping wasn't for me. I place a very high dollar value on my time. And the money I saved -- IF I saved any by the time you account for gas use and car usage....wasn't enough to justify all that time and energy put into going to four or more stores.

I can save bigger bucks in other ways. I know every penny supposedly counts...and nickels, become dimes, dimes become quarters, etc. But I just didn't see the bottom line value of that particular shopping strategy for me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living