U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:59 AM

9,339 posts, read 8,732,469 times

Advertisements

Walmart carries 99% of my grocery needs; the 1% I can only find at a local chain store takes me only a few minutes once a month or so to purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:24 AM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
When we first moved here, my Dw worked as a Produce Manager at the grocery store on a nearby military base. She was there 6 days/week, so she would see every sale they had. If there was anything cheaper on-base, she would get it at work.

Most things we bought off-base. Because the only time that prices were better on-base where the sale prices.

Last year my Dw retired.

Now we only go on-base when we need coffee or booze, as those items are consistently cheaper on-base.

There is an IGA grocery store in a near-by town that offers a senior discount every Tuesday. I can drive to the IGA and back home again with our plug-in sedan, and make it home again before the gas engine turns on. Making the entire round-trip all on electric charge from our solar panels.

Some weeks we do not need anything. But if we do need something I make the trip once a week now.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:44 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
With the Walmart Saver program, other than fresh meat and sometimes produce, I do most of my Multi-store shopping from the weekly ads.
Walmart will match the prices from almost every store in the area (15 or 18, one time that I checked) on identical items.
They don't match on produce and a couple of stores have great prices sometimes but unless I intend to freeze I wouldn't buy enough to make the extra trip worthwhile.
On non-sale items, Walmart is almost always cheaper anyway so not much sense in not doing most shopping there.
In my case, it's only 3 miles away so that's also a factor.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:30 AM

69,240 posts, read 79,427,308 times
We live in a semi rural area without really decent shopping within 10 miles so our plan is to shop at one particular store in town every other week and do the rest of our shopping the other weeks, but only shop when we have other errands to run. Of course we are retired so time is available for us. I try to combine more to save of gas than time. Once a month we go to Sam's and twice a month to Aldis, One of our Aldis visits is always the same day we do Sams and 90% of what we buy, regardless where we shop is on sale and my menu for the week is based on what we get on buy. I almost always make a menu for the coming week. I have to admit, I do not always stick to it. Things come up and the plans change. Oh, I do run to WalMart for incidentals I have forgotten They are the closest market to us.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:05 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I can save bigger bucks in other ways. I know every penny supposedly counts...and nickels, become dimes, dimes become quarters, etc. But I just didn't see the bottom line value of that particular shopping strategy for me personally.
You're correct, and as I always say, "Your time is worth something, too."

At my last house, all of those stores were with a 3-mile radius, plus I rode my bike to a lot of them, so I was getting physical exercise.

Now that I live in Des Moines, I don't go to as many organic stores as I could: Trader Joe's is in West Des Moines, for example, but with some careful planning I can fit in all of my errands and still go to several stores without shooting an entire evening.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 AM

11,403 posts, read 13,950,805 times
We shop at several stores to save money, but to also purchase items that are not available in the other stores.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:39 AM

4,736 posts, read 5,936,715 times
I always shop at different stores because I can never find everything that I need at any single one. I carry insulated grocery bags with me in order to keep cold or hot foods at the right temperature.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 AM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
I do. I do my major shopping once a month and I have a list. My first stop is always the 99centsOnly Store. Next stop is Costco. Next is the hispanic grocery and last my regular grocery store, Smith's. But I live in an urban area and all of these are within 5 miles of my house so not an excessive amount of driving.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
I shop at several stores. I can only use certain brands and there's no single store that sells all of what I need.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:15 PM

5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Nope. I submit an order once a week and pick it up via a drive through line outside. Not entering the store saves me from buying things not on the list. I do check the sales every week and add anything we regularly use to the order if it's on sale. Amazon delivers pretty much anything else. Since I work fulltime, my free time is more valuable than running around to 3 stores when a quick trip to one will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living