U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:56 PM

11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times

Advertisements

Combined with coupons and learning the drug store 'savings games' one can CLEAN UP doing this. I can hit Walgreens, CVS, and Kroger on the same street, only a few blocks apart. It just requires a bit of planning with the sales circulars and the matching coupons. There is a website that does the equations and helps you plan (they have early access to the circulars and what coupons will be in which week's paper) but IDK if I am allowed to post it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:43 PM

6,030 posts, read 6,528,564 times
Quote:
my free time is more valuable than running around to 3 stores when a quick trip to one will do.
I heard that.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,510,043 times
I buy items based on the weekly ads. So yes, I shop from store to store. No preference to which store I go to, just depends on what is on sale. Based on what is on sale. I tend to buy veggies at ethnic stores, where local farmers filled the store. My wife and I usually reserve Saturdays for food shopping unless a hot and seasonal item like crab is on sale....we buy it the day of the sale because it won't last until Saturday.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,299,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We combine too. We have several stores within 2 miles of each other and hopping to all of them on trip is very helpful for fuel cost and even the weekly sales with any coupons that can save more.
Sounds like my situation, howard555. Ain't life grand?

Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM

69,321 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I heard that.
We have plenty of free time, but not as much as some seniors cause we are in a lot of social groups and spend time doing volunteer work. That is why we alternate every other week. This week we did do Walmart and bought a couple of meats at our local butcher, plus I venture off to the Farmers market tomorrow about 7am. Next week it is Aldi's. I love to get a good deal, but am not running all over town to save a couple of bucks. Heck the gas alone I waste is probably more costly than the few specials I get.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:35 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,503,750 times
I do not do this. It is just not worth it me. I like one stop shopping.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,257,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
How many of you in order save money divide up your regular supermarket shopping among a few different stores to save money? I know this can be time consuming, but from my experience sometimes it is worthwhile especially when buying larger amounts of whatever product/s one consumes.
I've done this for years, but I'm practical about it and don't travel far out of my way. I have always had several stores within a few minutes of me. I get certain things at them all. And they have slightly different inventory and sales.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:12 AM

316 posts, read 176,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not do this. It is just not worth it me. I like one stop shopping.

I agree. I've found that it all evens out money wise anyway instead of bargain shopping two or three stores a grocery trip. I alternate stores every week or two for variety.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,177,654 times
If I don't have my children with me, I stop at 2 or 3 stores. If the children are with me though, we can usually only manage 1!

Hubby doesn't really like having to look after the kids by himself so that I can go shopping- but he has been doing it a lot more often lately, as he understands that it does end up saving us money in the long run.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:14 PM

6,030 posts, read 6,528,564 times
Not the point, but I confess - -the first thing I thought of was ......does he mind you looking after the kids by YOURself?

Maybe it's me being a life long single with no kids. But men who don't want to look after or take care of their kids for just short period, when their wives do it all the time.....make me wonder about them.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living