Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

How many of you in order save money divide up your regular supermarket shopping among a few different stores to save money? I know this can be time consuming, but from my experience sometimes it is worthwhile especially when buying larger amounts of whatever product/s one consumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:13 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
I can hit Koger, Walmart and Aldi in one trip. They are across the street from each other. No big deal. Growing up my parents shopped that way. They clipped coupons and shopped A &P and Kroger...both across the street from each other.

Mae

Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I do it, usually twice a month....if it's not on sale, I don't buy it...consequentially, my pantry is well stocked to avoid unnecessary trips.
I live in rural America, my trips are minimum 60 miles one way to access multiple stores like TJ's, or Aldi's or Krogers....my only local choice is Food Lion, 12 miles or Walmart, 20 miles... bad choices, but I do use 'em on occasion.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 AM

419 posts, read 387,429 times
I do, but then I'm lucky to have several stores selling food within 7 miles -- 3 Publix, Aldi, Save-A-Lot, Winn-Dixie, Walmart, Target and now Bravo. For some food and other goods, we also have Walgreens, CVS, Dollar Tree, and Dollar General. The drugstores sometimes have great sale prices on everything from eggs to toilet paper.

I combine my shopping trips by stopping at the stores within close distance to each other. It would be silly to drive right by Aldi on my way to Publix and not stop for $1 broccoli and $1 cantaloupe, which would cost $2.50 and $3.00 respectively at Publix. Besides, it's good to stretch the legs by getting in and out of the car and walking around different stores, and I have the time now. I do have to take a small cooler sometimes for items picked up at the first stop, but that takes all of 10 seconds to fix.

I know the regular prices at all stores. Before shopping, I check all of the sale ads online. Since Publix has fantastic buy-one-get-one-free deals, I start my shopping with their specials. I don't buy many regular priced items there because they are generally higher than other places. Next I see which other stores have sales and figure out my plan of attack. If Aldi has the stuff I need, I stop there on my way to one Publix. If Save-A-Lot has good deals, I'll stop there on my way to a different Publix. Walmart is next to where I get an allergy shot, so I always stop there after. Etc., etc., etc.

Years of shopping this way have saved me lots of money with only a little extra time and effort. I like to buy high quality food, and this method of shopping allows me to buy the best for great prices. It takes a little planning, but I enjoy it. Since I stopped working, I see this as part of my "job" of managing the money for the family.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
How many of you in order save money divide up your regular supermarket shopping among a few different stores to save money? I know this can be time consuming, but from my experience sometimes it is worthwhile especially when buying larger amounts of whatever product/s one consumes.
We combine too. We have several stores within 2 miles of each other and hopping to all of them on trip is very helpful for fuel cost and even the weekly sales with any coupons that can save more.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:54 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Aldi and Walmart Neighborhood Market are right next to one another. We jump into Aldi's for a few things (usually don't even need a cart) and then go over to Walmart for the rest of what we need. Maybe adds an additional 5-10 minutes.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Some supermarkets have better deals or quality in specific areas: Grade-A markets good for meat, Stop & Shop better for fresh produce, etc.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't do a lot of shopping at supermarkets, but I have different stores I use for different food items. I don't necessarily store hop, but will make a trip to one and then to another on a different day. I don't want to leave meat, refrigerated items, frozen items in the car while I shop at a second store unless it is quite cold outside, like in the middle of winter.

I also worry that $300 of meat or other groceries left in the car might tempt a car prowl. So, I buy it and head home with it.

But yes, I will "cherry pick" the special at the local markets if they are offering something I want at a big enough savings. One of the local groceries offers my favorite brand of ice cream at half price for every holiday, so I stop in and buy as many cartons of ice cream as the limit allows.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 AM

317 posts, read 238,994 times
most of the items we buy are from ethnic stores and for remaining stuff its aldi,kroger,tom thumb etc

Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Yes I do, we stop at stores for sales on the way to somewhere else, we are retired so time is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living