U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,503,750 times

Advertisements

The rental office offered me a two year lease with unexpected savings. I also negotiated a little bit. The total savings will be $960 over a two year period.

In addition, I decided to cancel my gym membership. I am still an advocate for investing in yourself but it is not working for me. I will be saving $780 per year. I started walking again. Walking for an hour is a lot. I am just glad it does not cost me anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 AM

64,687 posts, read 66,183,819 times
i can walk until the cows come home and my blood sugar and pressure stay stubbornly high .

while walking may be exercise it is a far cry from a good solid cardio routine that gets your heart rate up in to a target zone .

all the changes came once i started running . we are gym rats and i have been doing cardio routines for 15 years but until they got intense enough by running i was on all the meds .

i feel like that hamster on the wheel . if i reduce the cardio level odds are the meds come back .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM

Yes, running is ideal. It gives me a natural high. Unfortunately, my joints do not like it. Walking will have to do. You really do feel it when you walk for an hour.

Read what the American Heart Association has to say about it.

Walking toward a healthier you!

There are countless ways you can get active, but walking has the lowest dropout rate of them all! It’s the simplest positive change you can make to improve your heart health.

Research has shown that walking at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
Reduce your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile
Maintain your body weight and lower the risk of obesity
Enhance your mental well-being
Reduce your risk of osteoporosis
Reduce your risk of breast and colon cancer
Reduce your risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
There really are so many benefits for such a simple activity!

I will take it. It hurts the least and it is free.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 AM

64,687 posts, read 66,183,819 times
Like all things health related , the benefits tend to be way over stated , unless you are in really bad shape most of the effects of just walking are way over stated. You really need to intensify into a full cardio work out if you are healthy to really see those effects .

I only run on a tread mill today. I hurt my knees running many many years ago on concrete.

We both have a 15 year history of eliptical and biking and while it helped burn calories numbers wise the changes did not happen until the cardio intensified.

My wife and i used to walk 5-7 miles by the cross island path near the throgs neck bridge almost nightly . Nothing really changed and i was on blood pressure , lipitor and diabetic meds.

That continued right up until i started running and taking things up to a new level . It was about the 3 mile

mark when changes started and by 5 miles i was off them.

Walking is stressful when you are in poor shape so there can be benefits but it is highly unlikely a healthy

person will experience most of those claimed effects just walking

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2017 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 10:28 AM

373 posts, read 207,700 times
Congrats on the savings, goodlife! Good thing to cancel the gym membership if it's not working for you. I tried gyms when younger, but they weren't for me either. At least you tried it.

We all respond differently to exercise, and I know I am lucky. To maintain my weight and strength, walking combined with a couple of days a week of free weight 30 minute sessions at home will do the trick. These, along with a healthy diet, keep all of my health tests normal. If I need to lose weight, I have to up my game to interval training.

My preferred exercise would be 3 days a week of walking golf -- that's about 4 hours per day of walking, climbing up and down to tee boxes and greens, and a good upper body workout that comes from swinging the clubs. And, it's just plain fun. I hope to get back to that someday.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Congrats on the savings, goodlife! Good thing to cancel the gym membership if it's not working for you. I tried gyms when younger, but they weren't for me either. At least you tried it.

We all respond differently to exercise, and I know I am lucky. To maintain my weight and strength, walking combined with a couple of days a week of free weight 30 minute sessions at home will do the trick. These, along with a healthy diet, keep all of my health tests normal. If I need to lose weight, I have to up my game to interval training.

My preferred exercise would be 3 days a week of walking golf -- that's about 4 hours per day of walking, climbing up and down to tee boxes and greens, and a good upper body workout that comes from swinging the clubs. And, it's just plain fun. I hope to get back to that someday.
Thank you.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:04 PM

28,328 posts, read 2,208,837 times
Walking is great, & it is free Congrats on the lease & gym savings. Now I need to get my butt in gear & go for a walk & watch the ducks too.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Like all things health related , the benefits tend to be way over stated , unless you are in really bad shape most of the effects of just walking are way over stated. You really need to intensify into a full cardio work out if you are healthy to really see those effects .

I only run on a tread mill today. I hurt my knees running many many years ago on concrete.

We both have a 15 year history of eliptical and biking and while it helped burn calories numbers wise the changes did not happen until the cardio intensified.

My wife and i used to walk 5-7 miles by the cross island path near the throgs neck bridge almost nightly . Nothing really changed and i was on blood pressure , lipitor and diabetic meds.

That continued right up until i started running and taking things up to a new level . It was about the 3 mile

mark when changes started and by 5 miles i was off them.

Walking is stressful when you are in poor shape so there can be benefits but it is highly unlikely a healthy

person will experience most of those claimed effects just walking
I think it depends on the individual. For me, the best health benefits have been obtained through diet. We are not meant to lead sedentary lifestyles. I just need to move. I have decided walking is best for me. I may step it up and run a little bit. Running releases endorphins that feels good. We'll see.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Walking is great, & it is free Congrats on the lease & gym savings. Now I need to get my butt in gear & go for a walk & watch the ducks too.

Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,342,019 times
Walking is best for me too. Outside, hilly areas, plenty of fresh air and sunshine. I also swim in the summer and hike up the mountains when it's cooler. No meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or