U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:09 AM

603 posts, read 838,407 times

Advertisements

Just discovered that AARP offers discounts on certain restaurant and entertainment cards -- if you are a member. I was just searching their site for car rental prices and I saw that I had 9,000 My Rewards points. What's that? So I checked into and here are the results.

So basically you can use 1,000 points and pay $90 and get a $100 gift card to -- say Boston Market. Not a huge savings but it is an extra $10 if you like to eat at any of the places. Or use 500 points and get a $5 savings on a $50 gift card.

I might try it -- like to keep those things in my purse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:20 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times
Of course AARP offers discounts on lots of things, what did you think it was for?

It kinda allows those who are younger than than the 65 age group usually required for senior discounts to get a senior discount if a AARP member.

We like to go to Denny's, get 15% off the tab.

There are so many things one gets an AARP discount on to list here. Go to the website and look.

I think it's well worth the$16 a year we pay for both of us to be members.

Look into it thoroughly.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
^^^

You actually PAY for membership?

We always have gotten AARP membership free through purchases at Walgreen's.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:39 AM

28,207 posts, read 2,196,057 times
I had to join AARP, in order to get the medicare supplement plan I wanted, the saving each month more than pays for the yearly membership fee of $16. I tried to find a plan that was the same price or less, but could not, for my area.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:10 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,980,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I had to join AARP, in order to get the medicare supplement plan I wanted, the saving each month more than pays for the yearly membership fee of $16. I tried to find a plan that was the same price or less, but could not, for my area.
I also have AARP supplental insurance.

I couldn't find a cheaper plan either.

AARP is a great thing to join for lots of reasons.

Just one more benefit.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:53 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Ditto but you know what really bugs me?
It could possibly be even cheaper if AARP would save the money on mailing and associated costs of sending out solicitations for renewal and temporary cards every friggin couple of weeks.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
unfortunately, for us, it would never work: Hubby is a true "I can't stand AARP" person. We can get our discounts other places and don't like their political views.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM

18 posts, read 24,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
sending out solicitations for renewal and temporary cards every friggin couple of weeks.
That is why I dropped my membership. The constant mailings 2 or 3 days a week for all kinds of products and services for you to buy. I called it junk mail. Using a separate (throwaway) email address for AARP spam is a must. I continued to get solicitations for services (and AARP renewals) for a couple of years after I dropped them.

Many places around here offer a 10% senior discount starting at age 55. No AARP needed.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:07 PM

33,564 posts, read 51,767,813 times
I prefer AAA. Beats AARP in many ways...

Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM

603 posts, read 838,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Of course AARP offers discounts on lots of things, what did you think it was for?

It kinda allows those who are younger than than the 65 age group usually required for senior discounts to get a senior discount if a AARP member.

We like to go to Denny's, get 15% off the tab.

There are so many things one gets an AARP discount on to list here. Go to the website and look.

I think it's well worth the$16 a year we pay for both of us to be members.

Look into it thoroughly.

I believe you missed the point.

Yes, I knew they offered discounts on meals etc. but I was talking about an additional discount by PURCHASING restaurant gift cards through AARP. You can get a 10% discount using your rewards points and then after you have the card -- I assume you can still get your 15% off the tab at Denny's. It is an add on discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or