U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 AM

886 posts, read 355,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
(Bolder text above)
Do you mean the store was out of stock on the numbers you needed or that the numbers you needed cost more and the numbers he purchased were on sale for a lesser price? He would have been better off just not buying the numbers at all! Lol
I always assumed he meant that the digits we needed were not on sale but the wrong ones were. But yep, I agree with you: if you're just gonna put the wrong numbers on, why put any on at all?

Maybe the less I know about what goes on in his head, the better. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 01:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 1,540,807 times
My dad was so frugal it was bizarre. He would use Post It notes for many things around the house, which is fine, but he would cram so much writing on them they were illegible even with a magnifying glass. Then rage about not being able to read them. He saved every scrap of plastic wrap and used it over and over even when it tore. Then rage about the food spoiling under it. He saved the drippings from his daily breakfast bacon (he always bought the cheaper stuff that was mostly fat but cook twice as much to get the meat). When I cleaned his house out I found stacks of coffee cans filled with rancid bacon fat over the oven. The fat leaked, destroyed the cabinet woodwork, and started a fire in the wall. He would stock his freezer with food, keep it for years, and kept getting sick eating stuff that was way past the use dates. Ended up in the emergency room a few times...so much for saving money.

My grandfather had given us a small car after he quit driving. It had a recurring problem with the hydraulic lines in the front end. My dad kept taking it to a cut-rate shop for repair. They never seemed to be able to fix it, but my dad kept taking it back for the "free" repair of the repair. The car kept getting stranded on the side of the road meaning towing, but he still wouldn't take it to a proper shop because of the expense.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,290,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Possibly the craziest thing I ever saw someone do to save money was this:

When we moved into our current house, we had to buy our own mailbox because one wasn't already there. My dear/cheap husband had to buy numbers at a hardware store to put on the mailbox for our address.

How is that cheap? Because they were the WRONG numbers! I asked him why he purposely bought the wrong digits to put on the mailbox. He said because the store he bought them from only had those numbers for sale & not the ones we needed.
<>
Some people just can't tell a joke. It's supposed to be "on" sale, not "for" sale.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:48 PM

119 posts, read 54,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I always assumed he meant that the digits we needed were not on sale but the wrong ones were. But yep, I agree with you: if you're just gonna put the wrong numbers on, why put any on at all?

Maybe the less I know about what goes on in his head, the better. *sigh*
Lol He's a great hubby otherwise, right? No biggie with the numbers, unless of course you call 911 and the ambulance/fire engines can't find your house! I'm glad you made him put up the right numbers.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times
It's not even uncommon but how much are people saving when they pocket a few extra condiment or sugar packets from a restaurant?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:56 AM

4,131 posts, read 1,540,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's not even uncommon but how much are people saving when they pocket a few extra condiment or sugar packets from a restaurant?
Even though the individual value of condiment packets is small the intent is theft. IMHO you are basically telling the business that you are unethical and a cheat. I know, I know, those condiment packets are sort of left out so people can take what they need for their food, but really, the intent I'm talking about is different. A sort of flipping the bird at the business. How many of these pilfered packets actually get used later? Are you really that hard up you have to cheat others?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
My mom would take other people's leftovers home from the church potlucks, even when the other women were still there and planning to take their leftovers home.

She also used to stop at my apartment and demand dinner to take home to my dad and sister. If there weren't any leftovers, she'd beg the kids (toddlers at the time) for the food off their plates and take that home so she wouldn't have to cook. We had to move across town to stop that kind of behavior. (And no, she wasn't broke and starving, she was tenured faculty at a college.)

Old 08-07-2017, 12:28 PM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Even though the individual value of condiment packets is small the intent is theft. IMHO you are basically telling the business that you are unethical and a cheat. I know, I know, those condiment packets are sort of left out so people can take what they need for their food, but really, the intent I'm talking about is different. A sort of flipping the bird at the business. How many of these pilfered packets actually get used later? Are you really that hard up you have to cheat others?
I wouldn't mind people doing that. Have you ever stopped to think just how old some of the condiment packs are in restaurants that don't have a large turnover? I've never seen any with a date code.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
A couple I know would go to McDonalds for most of their meals. Not to buy food, but to get ketchup packets. Put ketchup on noodles - spaghetti; pout it into hot water - tomato soup; put it on bread wit cheese and toast it - pizza. They also collected dropped bits of coal at the rail yard or at factories to heat their apartment (which was free because no one owned it, but iit had no utilities).

Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
My F-I-L would use a paper towel to dry his hands, then let the towel dry out for re-use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or