U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM

886 posts, read 356,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If there weren't any leftovers, she'd beg the kids (toddlers at the time) for the food off their plates and take that home so she wouldn't have to cook. We had to move across town to stop that kind of behavior. (And no, she wasn't broke and starving, she was tenured faculty at a college.)
Wow, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I never heard of adults asking toddlers for their food (unless they were just kidding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:15 PM

741 posts, read 547,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Possibly the craziest thing I ever saw someone do to save money was this:

When we moved into our current house, we had to buy our own mailbox because one wasn't already there. My dear/cheap husband had to buy numbers at a hardware store to put on the mailbox for our address.

How is that cheap? Because they were the WRONG numbers! I asked him why he purposely bought the wrong digits to put on the mailbox. He said because the store he bought them from only had those numbers for sale & not the ones we needed.

I said how will people find our house if the wrong address is on the mailbox? (He said the mailman knows which house is ours & that's all that matters.)

I also told him it's not saving money because eventually he'll have to STILL buy the right digits (which he soon did after I bugged him enough about it!)
Strangest thing to be frugal? Sell their house to live in a car and sleep in walmart park n lot

Old 08-07-2017, 01:37 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,119,238 times
Uncle Stan always saved the little nubs of bar soap and after a year or so he would make a new bar of soap out of all of them with a mold and a microwave oven.....and he always pressed the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube with a cold iron.....Lord knows what else he did to save.....Uncle Stan went thru the Depression in the 30's...

Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM

595 posts, read 354,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Possibly the craziest thing I ever saw someone do to save money was this:

When we moved into our current house, we had to buy our own mailbox because one wasn't already there. My dear/cheap husband had to buy numbers at a hardware store to put on the mailbox for our address.

How is that cheap? Because they were the WRONG numbers! I asked him why he purposely bought the wrong digits to put on the mailbox. He said because the store he bought them from only had those numbers for sale & not the ones we needed.

I said how will people find our house if the wrong address is on the mailbox? (He said the mailman knows which house is ours & that's all that matters.)

I also told him it's not saving money because eventually he'll have to STILL buy the right digits (which he soon did after I bugged him enough about it!)
**** that's hilarious.

you'd think it would be cheaper to use a can of spraypaint or sharpie (depending on the color of the mailbox and make your own stencils for the number.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:53 PM

106 posts, read 40,019 times
Not long after I graduated from college, there was a graduate school educated guy who was in a film group I attended. He was obsessed with saving money to the point of being eccentric and weird. It was strange to see someone behave that way under any circumstances, but it was odder because he was making really good money. There were no student loans and he came from a family with a comfortable living. Once, another girl and I were at a restaurant with him and he wondered if we minded if he took the left over food the just departed table next to us had not eaten. He was going to take home what was left on their plates. Another time, he hosted something at his apartment. It was really cold outside and he refused to turn on the heater. He told all the guests to bring coats and gloves to wear during the party. Another thing was we were all living in an area where a car was necessity for certain distances. He had a bike and rode it for miles to get to work. The distance would have had to have been figured into his day as a major commuting task. It was such strange behavior.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 546,469 times
Oh my! I'm dismayed to identify with some of this. Yikes! My DDad had a little metal box he'd welded up in the shop where he worked. Little slivers of soap would go in with a little water and he'd try to make a bar of soap. Stuff sat so long it never lathered!

I know a woman who worked as a maid in a motel and used to gather the used little bars to give his son to use. Ewww. Once he found out what they were he never used them.

Yep that TLC show exceeded all the limits with dumb stuff people would do. One I saw had a woman and her boyfriend who was moving in with her...and she asked him to pee in a jar by the commode so he wouldn't have to waste water flushing. I'll bet that relationship didn't last long.

And yep, one I do... I use my calculator a lot and it has printing paper. I let the used portion get really long and roll it up so the used part is inside and run it through the calculator again. Gulped a bit right now when I realized how insane that is!

Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 AM

5,476 posts, read 8,165,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
! And I know a couple of women who cut the clips off of pants/skirt hangers and use them as bag clips.
What's wrong with that?

I've done it after the hangers broke.
Better than them going in some landfill.

I press the old bar of soap into the new one too.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:22 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
An acquaintance, if I can call him that at all, used to take forgotten leftover take out boxes off tables and take them home to eat. Ugh, when asked about it, he'd just say it was perfectly fine. I don't know if he was being frugal or just plain cheap,but it was a huge huge turn off to a lot of people.
I was going to say something very similar: my step mom used to take a plastic bag with her to a Mexican restaurant and go around to tables before they were cleaned just to take any left of chips. Every time we had chips at their house I wondered where they came from. she also used the micro to store the trays meat comes in when you open it from the stores, used the dish washer to store plastic bags and the guest bath tub for storing TP and paper towels. Obviously when we went to visit we either only stayed one night or we didn't stay at all. I will mention from being a clerk typist for many years and starting with nothing, she died a multi millionaire.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:27 AM

371 posts, read 207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Haha we washed clothes in the bathtub/shower at a much broker point in our life, when we had to go a few weeks without a washing machine. That was awful!
My grandmother handwashed most of their clothes in a basin in the kitchen sink for most of her life. She saved the washing machine for larger stuff like sheets. Gotta say, she always had firm arms from all of that wringing. Sometimes it seems that living the frugal way such as putting more physical effort into doing something or eating at home more, is actually healthier. I don't know why she even had a clothes dryer because she hung everything on the line.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
My grandmother handwashed most of their clothes in a basin in the kitchen sink for most of her life. She saved the washing machine for larger stuff like sheets. Gotta say, she always had firm arms from all of that wringing. Sometimes it seems that living the frugal way such as putting more physical effort into doing something or eating at home more, is actually healthier. I don't know why she even had a clothes dryer because she hung everything on the line.
My husbands aunt and uncle and my step mom and dad, did use their washer but they stopped it when the spin cycle started and used a pan to get most of the water out, so they could water their plants. And they wondered why it took them all day to do 2 batches of laundry and took me only a 1/2 day when I was raising 3 kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or