U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:30 PM

886 posts, read 356,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGal View Post
Another time, he hosted something at his apartment. It was really cold outside and he refused to turn on the heater. He told all the guests to bring coats and gloves to wear during the party.
I hope people had the good sense to either not show up for the party or leave extremely early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Little slivers of soap would go in with a little water and he'd try to make a bar of soap. Stuff sat so long it never lathered!
I apologize but the part about it sitting so long until it couldn't lather cracked me up!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 PM

4,080 posts, read 4,370,612 times
My elderly neighbor complained bitterly (80+) that he had to paint his house since he did not invest in vinyl siding....I told him it would most likely be the last paint job he had to do because of his age....he got the biggest smile I've ever seen, and any sense of irony went right over his head.

As an addendum: he lived to be 91 & never had to do that extra paint job & I assume he went to his grave a happy man

Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 PM

22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Uncle Stan always saved the little nubs of bar soap and after a year or so he would make a new bar of soap out of all of them with a mold and a microwave oven.....and he always pressed the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube with a cold iron.....Lord knows what else he did to save.....Uncle Stan went thru the Depression in the 30's...
My father and his brother and sisters lived through the depression with widowed mom. It wasn't pretty. A lot of that rubbed off on me.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 PM

9,459 posts, read 15,030,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I didn't watch the show -- but for one season or so there was a show on TLC (in the last few years, long after it had ceased really being a "Learning Channel." It premiered a couple of seasons after the Extreme Couponing show was popular. Anyway...

It was about extreme frugality -- I forget the name of it (Extreme Savers?"), but it showed people:
-- eating only day old -- or restaurant left over -- food
-- of course, reusing boxes, paper aluminum foil and plastic wrap
-- dumpster diving for food and other usable items
-- showing in their clothes and doing their laundry in the shower. One person was shown washing his shirts and underwear while standing in the shower. I think one person also showered while wearing the clothing. I was stunned. I just couldn't imagine it.

Now that HAD to be fake, right?
I think I saw that show. They would drain leftover spaghetti sauce from individual plates back into the jar for later use! I stopped watching after that!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM

975 posts, read 855,937 times
I remember that show, too. There was one couple who shared dental floss. What a charming idea . . . "here honey, I rinsed my crud off so you can do your teeth now". Yuck!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:35 PM

9,459 posts, read 15,030,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's not even uncommon but how much are people saving when they pocket a few extra condiment or sugar packets from a restaurant?
Its usually done for convenience.....but back in my "poor" days, I would take a few packs of sugar from FF restaurants because I was watching every penny. I would also take an extra "helping" of toilet paper from the restrooms and smuggle out in my purse....look, every penny counted!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I remember that show, too. There was one couple who shared dental floss. What a charming idea . . . "here honey, I rinsed my crud off so you can do your teeth now". Yuck!
Ugh! That's just nasty!

Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 772,487 times
There was one episode on that show about a family who made their own "toilet paper" out of scraps of fabric. The bad part is that they'd put the used fabric into a basket and then wash it to use again. That's OK for babies' diapers but for "toilet paper"? Yuk.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:54 PM

34,590 posts, read 42,755,715 times
I worked with a girl who was pregnant. She started grinding up eggshells for calcium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or