U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,144,350 times

Advertisements

My mother dropped a roll of toilet paper into the toilet. She set it on top of the toilet tank to dry out so she could still use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:52 PM

3,459 posts, read 1,978,113 times
Probably a little old lady just outside of town who lived with NO ELECTRICITY. She used oil lamps, and when someone broke into her house and stole or smashed her oil lamps, she begged in a free ad in the local paper for free replacements donations!!!

The town made her install plumbing and get rid of her outhouse!

And she died quite well off in a house with no electricity.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:02 PM

2,784 posts, read 660,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I didn't watch the show -- but for one season or so there was a show on TLC (in the last few years, long after it had ceased really being a "Learning Channel." It premiered a couple of seasons after the Extreme Couponing show was popular. Anyway...

It was about extreme frugality -- I forget the name of it (Extreme Savers?"), but it showed people:
-- eating only day old -- or restaurant left over -- food
-- of course, reusing boxes, paper aluminum foil and plastic wrap
-- dumpster diving for food and other usable items
-- showing in their clothes and doing their laundry in the shower. One person was shown washing his shirts and underwear while standing in the shower. I think one person also showered while wearing the clothing. I was stunned. I just couldn't imagine it.

Now that HAD to be fake, right?
The show was "Extreme Cheapskates". I saw it a few times. Some of those people were gross. Ick. No, I don't think it was fake.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 AM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its usually done for convenience.....but back in my "poor" days, I would take a few packs of sugar from FF restaurants because I was watching every penny. I would also take an extra "helping" of toilet paper from the restrooms and smuggle out in my purse....look, every penny counted!
My mother used to take a few sugar packets. Whatever. That was after dad had a second heart attack and was hoping to get on disability.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I worked with a girl who was pregnant. She started grinding up eggshells for calcium.
That's... interesting.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Probably a little old lady just outside of town who lived with NO ELECTRICITY. She used oil lamps, and when someone broke into her house and stole or smashed her oil lamps, she begged in a free ad in the local paper for free replacements donations!!!

The town made her install plumbing and get rid of her outhouse!

And she died quite well off in a house with no electricity.

I grew up near someone like that. Her name is on the tip of my tongue. The outhouse and well head were still there when we moved in 1970.

I remember when she lit the lanterns. It was such a beautiful soft glow.

Mrs Markovich! She raised and cared for her grandson. He was really nice. My mom always praised her for taking such good care of him.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:04 AM

7,108 posts, read 2,889,270 times
The worst thing I saw was an old lady sit down at a seat in a restaurant. She proceeded to eat the food the previous people had left on their plates. I was so grossed out I had to leave. Maybe the old lady had a mental problem. I couldn't watch it anymore...

Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 AM

886 posts, read 355,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My mother dropped a roll of toilet paper into the toilet. She set it on top of the toilet tank to dry out so she could still use.
Bless her heart but at the same time, yuk! (No offense.)

Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM

886 posts, read 355,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The worst thing I saw was an old lady sit down at a seat in a restaurant. She proceeded to eat the food the previous people had left on their plates. I was so grossed out I had to leave. Maybe the old lady had a mental problem. I couldn't watch it anymore...
When I used to be a server at a popular family-style restaurant, I had a fellow server who always bragged about what good tips he got.

He used to often sneak food off of customers' plates as he bussed tables. To this day, that grosses me out just to remember that.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:31 PM

9,291 posts, read 11,138,237 times
I saw a guy smoke used cigarettes from an outdoor public sand ashtray. He was well dressed and got into a nice car. Maybe they were his cigarettes he put there and simply took them back but to me it looked like a random grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or