U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 01:35 PM

886 posts, read 355,914 times

Advertisements

Possibly the craziest thing I ever saw someone do to save money was this:

When we moved into our current house, we had to buy our own mailbox because one wasn't already there. My dear/cheap husband had to buy numbers at a hardware store to put on the mailbox for our address.

How is that cheap? Because they were the WRONG numbers! I asked him why he purposely bought the wrong digits to put on the mailbox. He said because the store he bought them from only had those numbers for sale & not the ones we needed.

I said how will people find our house if the wrong address is on the mailbox? (He said the mailman knows which house is ours & that's all that matters.)

I also told him it's not saving money because eventually he'll have to STILL buy the right digits (which he soon did after I bugged him enough about it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
I didn't watch the show -- but for one season or so there was a show on TLC (in the last few years, long after it had ceased really being a "Learning Channel." It premiered a couple of seasons after the Extreme Couponing show was popular. Anyway...

It was about extreme frugality -- I forget the name of it (Extreme Savers?"), but it showed people:
-- eating only day old -- or restaurant left over -- food
-- of course, reusing boxes, paper aluminum foil and plastic wrap
-- dumpster diving for food and other usable items
-- showing in their clothes and doing their laundry in the shower. One person was shown washing his shirts and underwear while standing in the shower. I think one person also showered while wearing the clothing. I was stunned. I just couldn't imagine it.

Now that HAD to be fake, right?

Old 08-05-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Maybe or maybe not. Years ago, I thought I could pretty much know what people would or wouldn't do. But nowadays, people regularly surprise me with how far they'll go to extremes.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
The sellers who sold us our first house unscrewed the bar that holds the shower curtain up and took it with them. That wasn't the only obnoxious thing they did, but it got my attention.

Only ordering items that you have a coupon for at the restaurant. I understand this if money is tight and you really have to watch your pennies, but why get the sausage hamburger pizza when what you want is the bacon mushroom onion? I get a pizza because I enjoy it. If I wanted cheap, I'd eat at home.

There are ways that I guess I am cheap that others don't understand. Someone has to make centerpieces for those end of the year banquets. I craft for fun although I haven't done it lately. I shop the end of the season clearances and have a stash of stuff for when I get the whim to make something. I can probably make decent looking centerpieces for 10-15 tables based on what I have at home if I use veggie cans, wrapping paper, and cardboard boxes. All I need is a can of paint or skewers and I'm good. I prefer not to buy something when I can.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:26 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,022,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post

When we moved into our current house, we had to buy our own mailbox because one wasn't already there. My dear/cheap husband had to buy numbers at a hardware store to put on the mailbox for our address.

How is that cheap? Because they were the WRONG numbers! I asked him why he purposely bought the wrong digits to put on the mailbox. He said because the store he bought them from only had those numbers for sale & not the ones we needed.

I said how will people find our house if the wrong address is on the mailbox? (He said the mailman knows which house is ours & that's all that matters.)

I also told him it's not saving money because eventually he'll have to STILL buy the right digits (which he soon did after I bugged him enough about it!)
Wow! Really? Really!?

Did he plan to alter the numbers, by maybe cutting parts off or turning them to look like another number? Otherwise...?????? Do NOT let your husband shop alone...

Old 08-05-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Wow! Really? Really!?

Did he plan to alter the numbers, by maybe cutting parts off or turning them to look like another number? Otherwise...?????? Do NOT let your husband shop alone...
Lol! No, he didn't alter the numbers in any way. He actually put those same wrong numbers on the mailbox! Go figure.

I bugged him long enough so he did eventually buy the correct numbers. However, he couldn't get the old numbers off so he just put the new digits over them.

So, technically it is better than before BUT due to the idiocy of the situation you still can't see our address unless the sun shines at a certain angle or you're standing in a certain angle. *Sigh*

Old 08-05-2017, 10:43 PM

465 posts, read 265,916 times
An acquaintance, if I can call him that at all, used to take forgotten leftover take out boxes off tables and take them home to eat. Ugh, when asked about it, he'd just say it was perfectly fine. I don't know if he was being frugal or just plain cheap,but it was a huge huge turn off to a lot of people.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I didn't watch the show -- but for one season or so there was a show on TLC (in the last few years, long after it had ceased really being a "Learning Channel." It premiered a couple of seasons after the Extreme Couponing show was popular. Anyway...

It was about extreme frugality -- I forget the name of it (Extreme Savers?"), but it showed people:
-- eating only day old -- or restaurant left over -- food
-- of course, reusing boxes, paper aluminum foil and plastic wrap
-- dumpster diving for food and other usable items
-- showing in their clothes and doing their laundry in the shower. One person was shown washing his shirts and underwear while standing in the shower. I think one person also showered while wearing the clothing. I was stunned. I just couldn't imagine it.

Haha we washed clothes in the bathtub/shower at a much broker point in our life, when we had to go a few weeks without a washing machine. That was awful!

Old 08-06-2017, 06:27 AM

8,214 posts, read 9,097,318 times
Quote:

Now that's funny! lol

Probably the woman I know who bought two ply toilet paper and separated it into one ply. What a job! And I know a couple of women who cut the clips off of pants/skirt hangers and use them as bag clips.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:55 AM

119 posts, read 54,490 times
Quote:

(Bolder text above)
Do you mean the store was out of stock on the numbers you needed or that the numbers you needed cost more and the numbers he purchased were on sale for a lesser price? He would have been better off just not buying the numbers at all! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or