U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,121,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We have achieved a new level of our frugality!

Are you ready?
For my birthday, I got the same birthday card I got last year. Not another one just like it - the same one! I mean, think about it:
The message is the same - she still loves me; I am still the soul mate she always wanted; I still make her smile... Everything!
So why should she go out and find a brand new card every year?!

I like my card!
She signed it this year and put a date on it, and put it away. I can't wait to get it again next year!!

I'll be 73.
She then shoulda taken you out to lunch to the Golden Corral....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 PM

11,419 posts, read 7,437,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Yes, but she GIVES him the same old car over and over again ( how many years now?)
A short love note on a piece of paper would mean to me more than just giving me an old card again.
That's not frugal, that's ... lazy.
(Five years, we think)
Nah.... IT'S FUNNY!

The card is looking a bit worn, but it's MY CARD! It said what she wanted to say and that's never changed. I pretend to be surprised, everyone laughs at the usual Alzheimer's jokes, and we go on to more important things.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,822,581 times
I can appreciate it. I think it is more for fun than frugality. Some gifts need to be given more than once. It's even better if you keep repackaging the same gift for her every year.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 PM

22,769 posts, read 21,823,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We recycled the same old card for a few years. But we moved last year, & it hasn't surfaced yet, in time for my bday next week. So he might have to break out ,50cents for a dollar tree special lol
I couldn't give you a point, so happy birthday!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM

9,465 posts, read 15,050,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure if I am detecting a bit sarcastic note here
So, it's the same card...
Does she at least put a new date on it, and write like" same as always" and sign, or just give you the card with the original date on it, and that's it??
Does she mail it, or save the stamp?

Seriously, this seems like a sweet idea. It shows the longevity of your relationship, which is worth more than any card

Old 08-10-2017, 07:47 PM

18,079 posts, read 17,208,003 times
A relative in the UK suffered an unfortunate financial reversal that forced them to be very frugal. They still had fun exchanging gifts though. They would give the same gifts back and forth every year but would creatively fix them up or wrap them in a humorous disguise. Sometimes they would put bits of paper inside pages of books with clues to follow and send you on a scavenger hunt to find your silly gift.

They'd get their same old gifts back but they had so much fun doing it that they really didn't care. Sometimes you just have to get creative and use your imagination. (These people were a lot of laughs and the food was ALWAYS very good!)

Old 08-10-2017, 08:28 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,514,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We have achieved a new level of our frugality!

Are you ready?
For my birthday, I got the same birthday card I got last year. Not another one just like it - the same one! I mean, think about it:
The message is the same - she still loves me; I am still the soul mate she always wanted; I still make her smile... Everything!
So why should she go out and find a brand new card every year?!

I like my card!
She signed it this year and put a date on it, and put it away. I can't wait to get it again next year!!

I'll be 73.
As long as it makes you happy, that is all that matters.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 13 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,048 posts, read 3,625,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Wow...well it's easy to be frugal with stuff you obviously don't care about...much harder to cut back on stuff you consider important - so I guess not buying a card put you a buck or two more toward the stuff you like.
A buck or two only if purchased from a dollar store. Hallmark prices now for BD cards for a specific/special person are now $6.00 (OK $5.99) A CARD. I have been a Hallmark customer for many years, they have lost me now........I don't care how much I love someone, a Happy Birthday card is not worth $6.00 to me. I will use that $6.00 toward a gift or a meal.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Status: "I can learn to admire w/o having to aquire." (set 13 days ago)

Location: Where the last of the "Big 3" has retired. Spurs country.
3,048 posts, read 3,625,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We recycled the same old card for a few years. But we moved last year, & it hasn't surfaced yet, in time for my bday next week. So he might have to break out ,50cents for a dollar tree special lol
Beats blowing $6.00 on a Hallmark card.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM

9,465 posts, read 15,050,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
you're retired and probably at a point in your life when enough is enough LOL now a birthday cake is on a completely different level
Both DH and I are now pre-diabetic----so a cake wouldn't be an expression of love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or