Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:22 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

We have achieved a new level of our frugality!

Are you ready?
For my birthday, I got the same birthday card I got last year. Not another one just like it - the same one! I mean, think about it:
The message is the same - she still loves me; I am still the soul mate she always wanted; I still make her smile... Everything!
So why should she go out and find a brand new card every year?!

I like my card!
She signed it this year and put a date on it, and put it away. I can't wait to get it again next year!!

I'll be 73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I love this lol! I hope you got something else, too, though.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM

708 posts, read 577,627 times
It's priceless! More and more, I appreciate non-monetary gift items. I love the thought of receiving something that doesn't take up space in my home, or adds stuff to the collection of other stuff I try hard to unload. It means so much more for my husband, kids, or friends to just call to talk, take a walk, or just tell me they love me. It's the small things that mean so much!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We have achieved a new level of our frugality!

Are you ready?
For my birthday, I got the same birthday card I got last year. Not another one just like it - the same one! I mean, think about it:
The message is the same - she still loves me; I am still the soul mate she always wanted; I still make her smile... Everything!
So why should she go out and find a brand new card every year?!

I like my card!
She signed it this year and put a date on it, and put it away. I can't wait to get it again next year!!

I'll be 73.
Wow...well it's easy to be frugal with stuff you obviously don't care about...much harder to cut back on stuff you consider important - so I guess not buying a card put you a buck or two more toward the stuff you like.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
My wife and I gave up cards and holiday gifting a few years back, not because of frugality, but because we had enough years of joy together that we realized the task of finding a card and paying someone else for a canned sentiment based upon a time schedule was ridiculous and manipulative. In place of that, we would have surprise gifting of potted flowers or treats throughout the year.

A way that one can tell a ritual is not an act of love is to ask yourself "Will there be a negative reaction if it doesn't happen or doesn't meet expectations?" If that is the case, it is time for a discussion on values. If you still like cards after that, great! If you don't, or you want to be more creative, also great. I've nothing against cards for those who appreciate them and get joy from them, but I also understand that they can be a cop-out for many who show little evidence of a loving relationship otherwise.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Not sure if I am detecting a bit sarcastic note here
So, it's the same card...
Does she at least put a new date on it, and write like" same as always" and sign, or just give you the card with the original date on it, and that's it??

Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM

810 posts, read 667,363 times
you're retired and probably at a point in your life when enough is enough LOL now a birthday cake is on a completely different level

Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
you're retired and probably at a point in your life when enough is enough LOL now a birthday cake is on a completely different level
^^^ Yes, but she GIVES him the same old car over and over again ( how many years now?)
A short love note on a piece of paper would mean to me more than just giving me an old card again.
That's not frugal, that's ... lazy.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I think it is a cute story. However, my family saves even more money than that on cards by not giving cards at all.

Not that birthdays are cheap. There is a homemade cake and a special birthday dinner, and depending upon who is the birthday person, there might be a birthday gift.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:42 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
We recycled the same old card for a few years. But we moved last year, & it hasn't surfaced yet, in time for my bday next week. So he might have to break out ,50cents for a dollar tree special lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living