U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:01 AM

33,549 posts, read 51,767,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Have you ever purchased from "shopgoodwill"?
Not me, but the items there are as good as on eBay, you deal with one seller, and the possibility to get ripp of is much smaller.
I know people that buy there frequently.

Here are other online auctions to consider
https://www.lifewire.com/online-auction-website-3482641
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 06:55 PM

473 posts, read 283,357 times
Refurbished guy here sells crashers...Can get okay Windows laptop for that price...Windows is getting MUCH WORSE about invasions of privacy and VERY HARD computer to use professionally as it just cannot be backed up easily...Each patch or update rearranges tons of stuff and more intrusions or updates that don't prompt you to save...If you load your programs from CD can end up being screwed as you loaded that CD too many times so have to keep calling to unlock it (((if you are lucky))), so forcing you to pay for monthly software programs like Cloud MS Office 365 or Adobe. See why Linux is popular Is just junk and need to save all to cloud or external drive so you don't get screwed when it needs new hard drive which is cheapest/easiest to do on desktop. But not sure my programs on CD will run okay on Linux...Will definitely explore converting a dead computer to Linux another time as it's been 5+ years since I played with this OS.

Mac is great but $600 for used desktop plus replacing all CD software, not so bad if you pay monthly for cloud programs. Not sure monitors will be okay and may need to change all USB devices so more expense.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,118,898 times
I've had very good luck with Goodwill refurbished laptops.....Go and buy another good one with all the latest updates every 3 years or so for about $150 and keep the old one as a backup.....

Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 PM

741 posts, read 545,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I've had very good luck with Goodwill refurbished laptops.....Go and buy another good one with all the latest updates every 3 years or so for about $150 and keep the old one as a backup.....

Sounds like a good deal.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,769,813 times
microcenter.com They have refubished computers that have come off commercial leases, etc. They are solid machines with the latest operating system. Come in a variety of configurations.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Goodwill. They get the equipment mostly from offices who does a whole company upgrade.
Also from people that decided to buy the newest model. Those computers are not old, and all are inspected by technicians.
I know people who bought them for their teens, and there was nothing wrong with them. Prices between $50 and $150 usually incl. flat monitor, keyboard and mouse. Sometimes is a wireless keyboard/mouse.
Just pay attentions to specs. You can add your own software if you don't like theirs, or want to upgrade.
Also check on their website:
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/listing...7&ending=Items
darn, I would never have thought of that. We just bought a new one, yes, it is a laptop which is fine with me and we got it on Amazon. The price was fine, but a used one from a decent thrift store would have been better.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:25 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Why not consider used business-class computers? These are computers designed to run reliably under heavy use in business environments. These are the computers you will see on desks in banks, hospitals and other mission critical environments. They must be reliable, sturdy, easy to repair and long lasting. They tend to be more expensive than consumer-oriented computers when new because they use tougher, more reliable components. However, they are generally upgraded by the thousands by businesses in a three-year cycle. These bullet-proof enterprise level computers will be dumped on the refurbished and resell market with years of usable life left. They typically carry brand names like Lenovo, HP, and Dell.

I recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkCentre All-in-one PC for under $100. It has a build quality far superior to any consumer level computer and will last much longer. You won't find this sort of quality at you local Walmart or Best Buy and as a used unit it is much cheaper. Plus they are designed for easy repair with parts available on eBay.

Check out this article for more info: https://stylepeterson.com/the-cheaps...and-computers/
Hope you have better luck with you Lenovo than I did. That is what I just replaced. It didn't last much over 2 years, if that long. I was so disappointed. It would have cost almost as much to get it fixed as I paid for my new one.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 607,053 times
I buy all my computers on ebay. Haven't gotten a bad one yet. A couple of times, they would have a nonvalid (as in pirated) windows operating system on them, but I didn't care because the first thing I do is wipe the Windows and install a Linux OS. Linux Mint is my preference. Been using Linux for over ten years now and it has really improved. Linux is open source and free to use. You just download the one you want from Distrowatch, burn to a cd and install. You can run the cd as a live system to see if you like it or not before you install. If you are a big time gamer you need Windows but other than that Linux works beautifully. The newer distros are graphically easy for a novice to use these days. In fact, one distro (Zorin) has an app that you can choose whether you want it to look like Windows XP, Windows 7, or Linux Gnome. You can also buy Linux os cds already to install off of ebay. They usually don't cost more than $5.

Oh yeah, and Linux is a much more secure operating system than Windows. No need for virus protection. It's not impossible for Linux to get a virus, but it's so rare as to be pretty much nonexistent.

From the Linux Mint site:
About Us

The purpose of Linux Mint is to produce a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.
Linux Mint is one of the most popular desktop Linux distributions and used by millions of people.
Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:
  • It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.
  • It's both free of cost and open source.
  • It's community-driven. Users are encouraged to send feedback to the project so that their ideas can be used to improve Linux Mint.
  • Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages and one of the best software managers.
  • It's safe and reliable. Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture, Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware...etc).

Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM

4,328 posts, read 4,425,337 times
I was looking into getting a macbook pro myself for deep learning applications and was looking at ebay and swappa, but swappa doesn't have desktops. Fortunately my work decided to give me a second computer, which happened to be a macbook pro with admin access so now I can do my deep learning for fun using the macbook.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:48 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Have you done that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or