U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:50 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Have you ever purchased from "shopgoodwill"?
Goodwill is a seller through Amazon, as well. Whenever I buy a used book or used DVD, sometimes I notice that a certain Goodwill place is the seller. They apparently have entered e-commerce.

This is no slouch item, either. It's like the other sellers: it's described well, has a comparable price, reasonable shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 04:46 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,485,423 times
I have a Google Chromebook. $300. LOVE IT.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,485,423 times
Oh try www.shopgoodwill.com

Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM

8,007 posts, read 5,290,540 times
Keep an eye on woot.com

Old 08-16-2017, 05:04 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
The reason I won't buy used anymore is that the used computers I've bought from people who refurbish them (not the manufacturer, but individuals who buy them used and refurbish them) generally have pirated copies of Windows, which makes it difficult or impossible to do updates.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,047,945 times
There is a computer forum which is the appropriate place to be asking.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM

96 posts, read 155,832 times
When I used to buy desktops I used to go to the Dell Refurb site. They had all sorts of deals on there for refurbs/scratch and dents/returns. Dell would go through and make them look like new again with the right OS and a lot cheaper. I had to keep checking as their inventory would fluctuate daily. Good luck to you.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 PM

960 posts, read 1,960,395 times
Default Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad and ThinkCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hope you have better luck with you Lenovo than I did. That is what I just replaced. It didn't last much over 2 years, if that long. I was so disappointed. It would have cost almost as much to get it fixed as I paid for my new one.
Sorry to hear about that. I can't speak about the reliability of their consumer line of computers, however the business class Thinkpad line (they manufactured the original Thinkpads for IBM) has had an excellent reputation for sturdiness and reliability for many years. The business class Thinkpad and ThinkCentre line is marketed to Fortune 500 businesses and is focused on reliability and sturdiness, unlike consumer oriented models that focus more on cosmetics and gadgetry. Plus, all you need is a screwdriver to quickly swap any defective component. If you buy the components from Lenove they will be pricey, but they are much cheaper online from eBay. As someone who heavily used laptops of 12 hours a day in my business I can attest to the sturdiness of the Lenovo Thinkpad series. When one does need a repair, I can usually have the part overnighted and swap it with a screwdriver in a few minutes.

I've purchased refurbished Thinkpads or ThinkCentre (desktop computers) computers for nearly two decades.

https://stylepeterson.com/the-cheaps...and-computers/

Old 08-19-2017, 05:42 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The reason I won't buy used anymore is that the used computers I've bought from people who refurbish them (not the manufacturer, but individuals who buy them used and refurbish them) generally have pirated copies of Windows, which makes it difficult or impossible to do updates.
that is something to consider. I did buy one refurbished one but I doubt I would do it again.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:42 AM

960 posts, read 1,960,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Usually, when you buy a new computer, it has a sticker on it the gives the serial number of Windows for that computer. Anytime you need to reinstall Windows, that serial number is proof that Windows was registered for that computer. There is no need to install a bogus copy of Windows unless that serial number has been transferred to another computer. That is why you should buy from a refurbisher / reseller that is reputable - they will not transfer Windows to another computer. If you buy from a private party that is more likely to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or