U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:18 PM

13,341 posts, read 7,115,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
Anyone else choose a frugal option when it comes to end of life planning? My hubby and I have signed up to give our bodies to science. No cost and what remains aren't used will be cremated and returned to the next of kin. I never thought about it before I met my husband, other than I preferred cremation as opposed to burial. He has relatives who chose science donation and that was what he wanted as well, though he hadn't signed up. As I understand it, in our state preregistration is required but most states do not.
Be careful - some places will have a charge for the transportation of the body - either to get it there or to return it if they can't use it, for whatever reason. And that can cost more than a few hundred dollars since it IS a body and can't be shipped at the cheapest rate, obviously.

For example, Mayo's in Minnesota http://www.mayoclinic.org/body-donation/costs:

Costs associated with body donation
There are no costs directly involved with whole-body donation to Mayo Clinic. However, there may be expenses associated with transportation, filing of death certificates or other required documentation, or the professional services of a funeral home.

Mayo Clinic has a limited fund to reimburse funeral homes for the transportation costs from the place of death, which covers approximately a 200-mile radius from Rochester, Minnesota. Any additional expenses exceeding the fund limit are the responsibility of the deceased's estate or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 04:52 PM

8,142 posts, read 5,998,122 times
Funerals are the biggest... Ok.. I need to be careful here, because I do understand that funerals are for the living, not the dead.. But they are a huge waste of money in most cases.

I was listening when my grandmother passed away and the funeral home director was going over all the options.. The coffin was hermetically sealed and guaranteed not to break for 25 years and all this.. It's a freaking coffin, not a house. We're all turning back to dust, one way or another.. A delay of 25 years means mostly nothing.

I've seen people throw funerals that cost more than weddings.. I just don't get it. I'm fine with some of it, but I certainly don't want that when I kick. I've asked to be cremated and tossed in my pond.. That way when people sneak onto my property to fish.. They're literally eating me.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
My mother, who died in 2013, was cremated. My husband and I have also chosen cremation.
My aunt, who died earlier this year, donated her body to science.

Last edited by pekemom; 08-23-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 05:50 PM

875 posts, read 651,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Contact one or more medical schools in Ohio and ask them how to go about donating your body. They'll know how to get it done.
I filled out the donation papers to NEOUCOM some years ago. However, there is no way to indicate that on Ohio's Living Will form. The form is basically only interested in organ donation.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
I want a headstone. Other than that, I don't care.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Cremation, whatever is cheapest!!!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:34 PM

79 posts, read 120,707 times
Hubby and I just made our arrangements with the Neptune Society. They've been around forever and was much less expensive then I thought and they handle everything with 1 phone call to them. I liked that if either of us die away from our home city like on a trip in another state they can still handle everything with no additional cost. If you are leaning towards direct cremation you should check them out~

Old 08-25-2017, 09:00 AM

10,144 posts, read 13,833,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i want to be stuffed with un-popped popcorn and then cremated in an epic display .

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cremation for us and nothing else.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:15 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,434,111 times
Be careful what your BMI is. I guess most are too heavy to go the "science" route. Good to have a Plan B

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...ies-to-science

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...pse-f1C6436539

Old 08-25-2017, 04:52 PM

3,456 posts, read 1,978,113 times
Just burn me to a crisp, no services, dump me into the PAID for plot here.
If I move, I will make the same arrangements.
Get one plot for both my OH and I and dump us in together.
Simple as that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living