U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:02 PM

14,354 posts, read 12,638,900 times

Advertisements

My grandparents bought 12 cemetery plots a long time ago. So long ago that the original deed reads "Caucasian only".

So, I already have a plot and a big family headstone, I just need the small, flat individual stone for myself.

Since I am leaving the bulk of my estate to a local animal charity I look at it this way.....how many animals could be saved with the money I don't spend on a fancy funeral, casket and vault? A LOT.

I have decided to be cremated and buried along with the cremated remains of my deceased pets in the cemetery plot right next to my mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:09 PM

1,477 posts, read 527,415 times
Cremation with no fuss. No viewing. Sat both my kids down and told them not to spend one penny more than they have to.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM

899 posts, read 663,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Be careful what your BMI is. I guess most are too heavy to go the "science" route. Good to have a Plan B

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...ies-to-science

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...pse-f1C6436539
I'm under 6', <200 pounds, and my BMI is <35, so I would be good in most places. I see NEOUCOM wants the BMI to be <30, but I'm still good.

NEOUCOM provides free transportation within 75 miles. If I move away from this area, I would have to make other arrangements.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:50 AM

65,067 posts, read 66,574,854 times
you think broil on the toaster oven will work if we do a piece at a time ?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:18 AM

11,798 posts, read 16,557,359 times
Cremation and spreading under the watchful eye a funds manager - then the vultures can have their feast.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:27 AM

3,215 posts, read 2,835,264 times
I guess it depends on where you live and how much land is available. I recently learned of a cemetery where the plot is free. It was a bit surprising to me. I'm not sure what the other rules are. I don't think a vault is required. I don't know the casket requirements. You could possibly be buried in a cardboard casket if you chose not to be cremated. No embalming required if buried within 24 hours. I was there a few years ago for the burial of cremains. The family dug the grave. There may not be an expense there either.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:04 PM

69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
Anyone else choose a frugal option when it comes to end of life planning? My hubby and I have signed up to give our bodies to science. No cost and what remains aren't used will be cremated and returned to the next of kin. I never thought about it before I met my husband, other than I preferred cremation as opposed to burial. He has relatives who chose science donation and that was what he wanted as well, though he hadn't signed up. As I understand it, in our state preregistration is required but most states do not.
We haven't done that yet, but should. Yes, keep in simple. God isn't going to care what our final plans were or are, he will either welcome us or say, down, down, down you go. In fact he might give me a little extra star for giving my old, used up body to science Who knows?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:00 PM

289 posts, read 430,233 times
We had to deal with this when an elderly relative passed away this year. Her husband had been buried in the cemetery decades ago and she had a plot next to his paid for in the 60's. But in order to have her buried there next to her husband and because of the exclusive funeral home attached to the cemetery, we had to agree to a "package" that included transport and embalming (even though she did not want to be embalmed and she was not embalmed) and added up to over $12,000 even with us buying a cheaper casket through Costco (not including either the casket cost or the service at her church, to which we made an additional donation.) The funeral home knew they had us exactly where they wanted us and charged accordingly. This relative had been frugal her whole life and would have been beyond livid- she had thought that it would be inexpensive since the plot was payed for. But we had to do what we had to do in order to have her buried next to her husband. It came out of the estate rather than out of pocket, fortunately.

I have a very dim view of the funeral industry at this point. A bunch of vicious opportunistic vultures as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:23 PM

4,710 posts, read 4,624,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i want to be stuffed with un-popped popcorn and then cremated in an epic display .
Can you do that? Could be gross.. if you're too close to the body... just say'n...

Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,347,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Cremation, without big fuss funeral is under $1,000. We went through that with a relative that passed at age 95, all other friends and family were already gone except for us. It was $900 and change. If you scatter, the tube is even free. We had to shop around though, some places were double that.
I'm of the same mind set. I don't need a headstone and I don't want to be buried. Spread my ashes at my favorite campsite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living