U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 1,695,130 times

Advertisements

You might want to rent The Big Lebowski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 02:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,118,898 times
I think the least expensive way would be a Waste Management truck...I already pay them $33 a month and I can have my people stand in the driveway, say a prayer, and sing Rock of Ages as the hefty bag goes into the hopper and the blade comes down and pushes me into the truck...

Last edited by Chaffeetrekker; 09-08-2017 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 06:57 PM

293 posts, read 383,576 times
You'll need to check with your states burial laws and your local cemetery first, but if you have a family paid for plot and you've cremated someone, you may be able to spread their ashes over your family plot. I believe the cemetery has to be a public one though. We have done this.

http://www.perfectmemorials.com/guid...ttering-ashes/

Old 07-23-2018, 01:25 AM

4,318 posts, read 5,268,236 times
Cryogenics. You can get a life insurance policy and name the company as insured and itís just your monthly fee.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM

875 posts, read 652,288 times
OK, I am caught up on arrangements now.
Will, Medical & Financial Powers of Attorney: $150
Cemetery Plot: $700
Tombstone: $1700

If my body is donated to medical school, the additional costs should be minimal. My dad's 2014 cremation cost $2600, plus a $150 honorarium to the minister for the memory service. The organist was on vacation, so no cost for live music.

Here is a picture of my tombstone: If I had bought a larger tombstone, I could have added Requiescat in Pace (Latin for Rest in Peace), but I did not think of that at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Frugality when it comes to end of life arrangements?-img_20180521_125234b.jpg  

Last edited by mshultz; 07-23-2018 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Resized attachment so it would upload

Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM

644 posts, read 142,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
OK, I am caught up on arrangements now.
Will, Medical & Financial Powers of Attorney: $150
Cemetery Plot: $700
Tombstone: $1700

If my body is donated to medical school, the additional costs should be minimal. My dad's 2014 cremation cost $2600, plus a $150 honorarium to the minister for the memory service. The organist was on vacation, so no cost for live music.

Here is a picture of my tombstone: If I had bought a larger tombstone, I could have added Requiescat in Pace (Latin for Rest in Peace), but I did not think of that at the time.
$2600 cremation in 2014?

$1200 was my wife's cremation in November of 2013.

and for $250 I bought a beautiful light blue big rectangular urn.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:47 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,771,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
We simply wanted something easy for those who take care of the arrangements, not to mention why dump thousands of dollars when it's not necessary. On top of that, cadavers are used by medical students and for research, so we will be helping our fellow man.

That's a shame Ohio laws don't offer whole body donation.

If the idea is to make it easy for surviving next of kin (or whoever will be responsible) Have your lawyer draw up a will that specifies what you want done and prepay any costs. Set up the details and provide the instructions and contact information ahead of time to whomever will be handling the arrangements. That way the person will know what your desires are and any costs will have been taken care of so they don't have to worry about them.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 PM

107 posts, read 30,313 times
Not only frugal but no muss, no fuss:
I donated my body to the medical school. I did this not only for the frugality of it (it's free in my case, where I live) but also so that if I die before my wife (most likely) she will not have to lift a finger more than a couple phone calls.
I went to the University and filled out a form. Took me about 30 min. total.
They gave me a form with some numbers to call when I am dead. (Obviously I won't call, someone else will have to call! LOL)
The only other call - first - is for the coroner to come and certify I died of natural causes, not by foul play.

Then a vehicle drives out to wherever my body is, picks it up and carries it to the medical school where they will do whatever they want with it.

To me it's a win-win.
Easy, free, and no loved one has to deal with vulture-like funeral industry who want to guilt people into buying ridiculously expensive caskets and "viewing rooms" and such, and governments who want paper or money or both.

I highly recommend frugal people look into this option if you can get over feeling "weird" about your body being cut up by students and so on. The way I see it, even in death, I am helping students learn to practice medicine!

It's also good for the environment: no land taken up with dead meat.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin0129 View Post
Strip my body clean of any part that can be used to benefit someone else and then throw the rest directly into the incinerator. If it costs more than $1,000 it costs too much.
Only problem is, I think this would be illegal and the survivor(s) who did it could face fines or worse.
To me if it costs more than $100 it costs too much!
I donated my body to a medical school. See above.
If this was not available my 2nd choice would be the cheapest possible no frills cremation.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michie1 View Post
Hubby and I just made our arrangements with the Neptune Society. They've been around forever and was much less expensive then I thought and they handle everything with 1 phone call to them. I liked that if either of us die away from our home city like on a trip in another state they can still handle everything with no additional cost. If you are leaning towards direct cremation you should check them out~
Do you know what the cheapest package they have is, for this?
If I move back to the states I may consider this... though first I'll check out medical school donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living