Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
And it doesn't have to be by dollar amount, but maybe value ratio.
Biggest rip-off?

There are many but one of them are cell phone / smart phone plans.

I know many people who pay over $100 for a phone. Basic communication and web access.

I can afford but won't pay it.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Biggest rip-off?

There are many but one of them are cell phone / smart phone plans.

I know many people who pay over $100 for a phone. Basic communication and web access.

I can afford but won't pay it.
Adjust for inflation and assume 3+ hours of long distance talk time each month, and in the USA, the person financing a slightly previous generation smartphone is paying less per month for phone service than a family paid for a landline back in the days when Ma Bell had a monopoly with pricing to match.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Adjust for inflation and assume 3+ hours of long distance talk time each month, and in the USA, the person financing a slightly previous generation smartphone is paying less per month for phone service than a family paid for a landline back in the days when Ma Bell had a monopoly with pricing to match.
I have a new smart phone with 4g, wifi, and all the "bells and whistles" and I pay about $4 USD per month.

The US is a rip.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
most high end cars, especially since a lot of them break down all the time.

diamonds- what a complete scam industry that is.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Energy drinks like red bull and those iced coffee drinks Starbucks sells in glass containers. It costs them more for the packaging and the product costs them pennies to make. Small convenience sized items in general... I'll buy a whole gallon of milk and use a thermos rather than spend $1.50+ for a pint.

Alcoholic drinks served at stadiums and resorts. $7 for a pint beer? Seriously?

As for cable if enough people stopped paying maybe they'd stream the channels online free, supported with ads. I'm not paying $50+ per month to watch commercials when a VPN and torrents cost $40/year hahahahaha (meniacal laughter ensues)
Go to Yankee Stadium. 7 dollars hahah try 18.
I go 30-40 games a year and never buy any food or drinks there.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong2315 View Post
but cell phones used to be no more than 250 with a contract and about 500 without a contract now they are 800+ with or without a contract. It's such a rip off
Nonsense. If you want to have apple bend you over then you'll pay 800. There are plenty of great android phones that cost 150-300 bucks, the higher end of those are better than iphones. And these phones are mini computers well worth the money- that same 250 dollar phone from 10 years ago is now about 20 bucks.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
I also think so-called smartphones are absolutely, absurdly expensive, especially for something that we do not need. Sure, we could all say that we need a cellphone for emergencies, for when we are stranded on a road, or for being easily available when awaiting for an employment decision...but come on, we all did just fine before the advent or cellphones.
I find it absurd that we are so convinced that we "need" an iPhone that we will not even contemplate NOT paying insane amounts of money for a device that we could pretty much replace with a 40-dollar basic phone. Sure, it won't have the million pointless apps and all the other bells and whistles, but the only thing, in my opinion, that a phone should do is allow you to make phone calls. Ok, maybe voicemail and text messaging at most. But beyond that it is just silly...
i find this entire post absurd.
20 years ago people paid more for a house phone than i what i pay now to have unlimited minutes, data, internet, roaming. I used my phone for texting and data internationally for fee from about 20 different counties so far and if i made a call from a different country it was 20 cents a mintute. Smart phones are amazing. Oh and I paid 300 bucks for my nexus 6 about 2.5 years ago and it still runs great.

You may find these apps pointless - i don't at all (obviously some are)

40 bucks for unlimited everything and a great phone that costs me about 10 bucks a month to own that is a computer, i can watch movies and read books on, has made traveling so much easier and cheaper -yea what a terrible deal.

I wish i could go back to paying more than that for a house phone that does nothing but make calls if i'm in my house, and charge me through the roof for long distance calls and several dollars a minute for international deals. What a rip off my smart phone is!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
most high end cars, especially since a lot of them break down all the time.

diamonds- what a complete scam industry that is.

I agree man. But yet, I see these $40,000 thousandaires driving them often. Go ahead and keep buying these BMW's. Ill keep my used nissan and honda and I'll keep investing my money in the stock market. With a $600 car note, that's $7200 a year just for the note. If you had $7200 exactly one year ago, you could've bought 8 shares of amazon. Today, those shares gained roughly $117 today...which is about the average person's take home pay. But those same 8 stocks you bought last year are now worth $11,863....over $4,500 increase in a year.

I use to be one of these people who had expensive taste. Now, I am more wise with my money and I owe a big thanks to this forum!!!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
It was already mentioned, but I'll repeat it...drinks and food at stadiums, resorts, etc. I paid $27 for a SMALL vodka and Red Bull in Vegas once. NEVER AGAIN! $12 for a beer at Red Hat Ampitheatre in Raleigh, NC. Again, NEVER AGAIN.

And yes...luxury cars. Even brands like Kia are coming out with very nice cars with a lot of very nice features in a very reasonable price range. Naysayers should re-consider them...I had a 2002 Kia Rio that was a nightmare, but then I had a 2014 Kia Forte that was an EXCELLENT car. Quality has improved significantly over the past few years with brands like Kia and Hyundai, and they come with great warranties.

I bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra in 2014 with 15k miles for $12k. It has 130k miles on it now, and the only problem we have had with it (outside of normal maintenance stuff like brakes and tires) was a wheel bearing, which we had fixed for $150. It's great on gas, cheap to insure, tires are cheap, etc. I doubt I'll ever buy a higher-end car again...Kias and Hyundais are it for me right now. I'm not someone who likes to drive older cars (high-mileage needs, so the last thing I want is something unpredictable...I've had a lot of used cars that left me stranded on the side of the road, including a Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, Jeep AND Ford, and I'm at a point in my life where I'm not trying to go through all of that anymore). For someone who prefers to drive newer-model cars with decent modern features and a nice look but that are affordable, a very gently used Hyundai or Kia is doing it for me these days.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
It was already mentioned, but I'll repeat it...drinks and food at stadiums, resorts, etc. I paid $27 for a SMALL vodka and Red Bull in Vegas once. NEVER AGAIN! $12 for a beer at Red Hat Ampitheatre in Raleigh, NC. Again, NEVER AGAIN.

And yes...luxury cars. Even brands like Kia are coming out with very nice cars with a lot of very nice features in a very reasonable price range. Naysayers should re-consider them...I had a 2002 Kia Rio that was a nightmare, but then I had a 2014 Kia Forte that was an EXCELLENT car. Quality has improved significantly over the past few years with brands like Kia and Hyundai, and they come with great warranties.

I bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra in 2014 with 15k miles for $12k. It has 130k miles on it now, and the only problem we have had with it (outside of normal maintenance stuff like brakes and tires) was a wheel bearing, which we had fixed for $150. It's great on gas, cheap to insure, tires are cheap, etc. I doubt I'll ever buy a higher-end car again...Kias and Hyundais are it for me right now. I'm not someone who likes to drive older cars (high-mileage needs, so the last thing I want is something unpredictable...I've had a lot of used cars that left me stranded on the side of the road, including a Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, Jeep AND Ford, and I'm at a point in my life where I'm not trying to go through all of that anymore). For someone who prefers to drive newer-model cars with decent modern features and a nice look but that are affordable, a very gently used Hyundai or Kia is doing it for me these days.

My mom drove a 88 Hyundai hatch back and it was crap. (or at least she told me--i was too young to drive or know the difference) She said that it was slow and it "struggled'' to make it up hills. (we lived in SF/Daly City at that time)

My friend has an elantra and it looks good and it runs smooth. I also drove a kia optima hybrid...i think a 2013 and it was a beautiful ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living