Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 06:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

I am currently paying taxes on my SS income, and a reduction in my benefits. I am not complaining.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I am convinced that at least 90% of marketing is junk science. If marketing were the science it claims to be...
...insert whopping overstatement here as proof.

There is a difference between marketing as practiced by small businesses and local retailers, and as it exists for most corporations and large entities. If it makes you feel better to dismiss (modern, data-driven, behavioral-science-designed) marketing as the waste of time based on hunches you saw on Mad Men, by all means feel good.

And yes, there are still idiots out there of all sizes trying all the old schticks, because it worked once and they don't need no 'spensive consultant to tell them otherwise.

But otherwise, saying it's 90% irrelevant for whatever reason is about like saying you're safe on today's battlefields because you're smart enough to stay out of bayonet range.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
...insert whopping overstatement here as proof.

There is a difference between marketing as practiced by small businesses and local retailers, and as it exists for most corporations and large entities. If it makes you feel better to dismiss (modern, data-driven, behavioral-science-designed) marketing as the waste of time based on hunches you saw on Mad Men, by all means feel good.

And yes, there are still idiots out there of all sizes trying all the old schticks, because it worked once and they don't need no 'spensive consultant to tell them otherwise.

But otherwise, saying it's 90% irrelevant for whatever reason is about like saying you're safe on today's battlefields because you're smart enough to stay out of bayonet range.
Are you in the business of producing or selling advertising?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Are you in the business of producing or selling advertising?
No.

If you think what I've written above is an attempt to defend the industry, you need to read more slowly.

If you think marketing == advertising, you need to read a lot more broadly.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM

740 posts, read 456,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Diamond jewelry.

It's a rock.

I agree! I had to go into a jewelry store because my brother was getting his rings clean. The sales rep asked me if I was interested in buying something for my wife. I told them that my wife and I believe that diamonds are huge rip off and a scam. She asked me why do we feel that way.

Well, everyone and their grandmother has one. Millions or diamond stores all over the world has it. If it is so rare, how come they are all over the world, all over the place, and they still can continue to make even more? That doesn't sound like rare. The definition of rare means, very few, very little. Can't be rare if everyone has one.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I agree! I had to go into a jewelry store because my brother was getting his rings clean. The sales rep asked me if I was interested in buying something for my wife. I told them that my wife and I believe that diamonds are huge rip off and a scam. She asked me why do we feel that way.

Well, everyone and their grandmother has one. Millions or diamond stores all over the world has it. If it is so rare, how come they are all over the world, all over the place, and they still can continue to make even more? That doesn't sound like rare. The definition of rare means, very few, very little. Can't be rare if everyone has one.
You make some good points, but at least if you're knowledgeable about the stone itself you can recoup more of its value than you can many other items of daily life that are nearly worthless after getting them home.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You make some good points, but at least if you're knowledgeable about the stone itself you can recoup more of its value than you can many other items of daily life that are nearly worthless after getting them home.
Ever tried to sell a diamond, except to a "greater fool"?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:25 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
Food in airports. Ack! I'm on an overnight to Chicago with my 4-year old granddaughter. A salad, an ordinary sandwich wrap, a bottle of water, hummous and pretzels and a bottle of orange juice should NOT cost $28. We skipped the animal crackers (the little red "circus train" brand box we had as kids). They were $4.25.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I buy tools, coins, guns, and books.
Bought 4 books today at goodwill for $4, and a reference book came in off Amazon <$5 (bout normal with rare books more)

All the rest are worth more than I paid.
I spent $1k at an auction this weekend, stuffs worth $1,500+

Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Food in airports. Ack! I'm on an overnight to Chicago with my 4-year old granddaughter. A salad, an ordinary sandwich wrap, a bottle of water, hummous and pretzels and a bottle of orange juice should NOT cost $28. We skipped the animal crackers (the little red "circus train" brand box we had as kids). They were $4.25.
I mostly object to the $8 beer.

Always carry high-energy snack foods when flying, especially with kids. You can survive without a full meal on a stopover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living