Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:32 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times

Advertisements

We need to buy a dryer. I haven't bought one in a very, very long time and my, have they increased the technology in (some) of them! I think I saw one in Home Depot today that doubles as a DJ at night.. it was so polished and had all these flashy lights. Crazy price too...

Anyway.

Here is what I'm considering... We are a family of four living simply. We don't have nice clothes. We don't have much need for special settings... like, at all... I am always happy to use the laundry mat when we travel because the machines are so simple...

So I was thinking of buying a cheaper, <$500 dryer with a simple, timed dial and two or three temperature settings. I am always hesitant buying appliances with lots of technology because it's just more parts to repair or replace. Take my car, for example.. the mechanics have been more or less okay, but what has needed repairs are things like software bugs and simple electronics.

My husband wants something a little higher up... specifically an LG model as LG got good reviews for Consumer Reports. He likes that they have a moisture sensor and will shut off the machine when the clothes are dry. In his view it's more money up front, but will be cheaper or the same price in the long run.

Ideally I want the most efficient machine. I don't like wasting energy. Do you think a lower end model will be less efficient than a higher end machine or do they just have less bells and whistles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
My current electric dryer is a 1981 Kenmore model. It may not be the most efficient model BUT it never breaks down and the controls are electromechanical and will last years beyond the newer electronic ones.

I will admit that we hang 70% of our laundry each week which is cheaper than any other option.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
I think lowes or home depot always have sales on their appliances, especially if you sign up for their credit cards.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:15 PM

797 posts, read 238,291 times
I'm remain a firm-believer in the old-fashioned top-loading washing machines of the past and plain simple tumble dryers.

My old Maytag set (30 plus years old) finally met it's end, but was an old-fashioned styled set (top-loading washer), and there's just something about being able to dump clothes in at the top of a top-loading washing machine that appeals to me, and a plain simple tumble dryer that dries. None of this fancy-schmancy steam stuff.

I also love the look of old-fashioned styled washing machines and dryers. Probably because of all the diapers I washed in my old set. Six kids, cloth diapers for all. Being able to dump the diaper pail right into the washer was so handy!

I say stick with the old!

Keep in mind, even the old-fashioned style of washing machines and dryers are energy efficient now.

Oh, and I always lined dried... still do. Clothesline drying months for us is anywhere from mid to late March (depending on year), right up to and including into the month of October, so my dryer never got a lot of use throughout those months.

Last edited by Size18; 10-20-2017 at 10:43 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
We inherited an almost brand new washer and gas dryer when we bought our winter home. It is a very basic set and we've been using it without any problems for three years now. I wanted to get a front loading setup like we had before, but the wife didn't want to spend the money. We're actually quite happy with both. Even a low end set will wash and dry your clothes, and that's all that's really needed.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My current electric dryer is a 1981 Kenmore model. It may not be the most efficient model BUT it never breaks down and the controls are electromechanical and will last years beyond the newer electronic ones.

I will admit that we hang 70% of our laundry each week which is cheaper than any other option.
Reminds me of a water heater we had in our old house. The water heater was from 1983.. as my mom says, "they don't build them like they used to"...

I hang dry too. I especially like line drying our shirts. For towels, sheets and jeans I always use a dryer though.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
I'm remain a firm-believer in the old-fashioned top-loading washing machines of the past and plain simple tumble dryers.

My old Maytag set (30 plus years old) finally met it's end, but was an old-fashioned styled set (top-loading washer), and there's just something about being able to dump clothes in at the top of a top-loading washing machine that appeals to me, and a plain simple tumble dryer that dries. None of this fancy-schmancy steam stuff.

I also love the look of old-fashioned styled washing machines and dryers. Probably because of all the diapers I washed in my old set. Six kids, cloth diapers for all. Being able to dump the diaper pail right into the washer was so handy!

I say stick with the old!

Keep in mind, even the old-fashioned style of washing machines and dryers are energy efficient now.
The steam thing was totally new to me!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I just recently replaced a dryer and had a bit of trouble finding simple ones with less electronic gadgetry. I also prefer top load washing machines for a couple of reasons....I care absolutely nothing about having a "matched set" of anything and am not going to stand in front of them listening to the little tunes they play. If your top load washer breaks down and won't drain, you can still open the door without flooding the room. The front load types have reported mildew odor issues. Something about how the water drains, the seals, and where soap gets trapped? Don't know. There are special cleaners you are supposed to use to prevent it. The new machines are massive!

As for drying without a machine, I attach drying racks on pulleys and hang them from a spare room or garage ceiling. Out of the way, no power needed, and they work.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 PM

797 posts, read 238,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The steam thing was totally new to me!
Yes, me, too.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Cheap or good? You can't have both, unless you compromise to buy at Dent store or used.
Plain cheap might not last, or you will spend money on repairs.
Try air drying as much you can. I don't have dryer at all. By choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living