U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:44 AM

1,683 posts, read 933,887 times

Advertisements

I sold my house in Arizona in late 2005, bought a house in Thailand for 23,500. Sold, and came back in early 2009,_and bought a condo, a townhouse, and a house...bought a condo here with the profit from one of the three. Many have been here for decades and are much better off than in the US. Others bring their problems with them, but really can't pinpoint what they are missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:18 AM

11,978 posts, read 6,216,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
Portugal would be okay too, but good luck getting a visa in the eurozone.
You can buy your way into Portugal. Just buy a small house that's more than 30 years old and costs 350,000 euros, including renovation costs. A Golden Visa. You're a permanent resident after 5 years and eligible to be a citizen after 6. At today's exchange rate, that's $425K. That's not southeast Asia grass hut cheap but it's a way into the low cost of living part of Europe. If you buy somewhere rural, the number drops down 20% to 280K euros.

Those aren't "frugal living" prices but an awful lot of people in US high cost of living areas with a paid-for house can early retire to Portugal and get permanent residence (with healthcare coverage) in 5 years. You only need to spend 14 days per year in-country for those 5 years.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,046 posts, read 38,018,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Smart thinking. There is a really good reason - actually many reasons - why people want to move to the US instead of stay in their own country.
It's pretty impossible to get a better deal outside the U.S.

So, the smart thing to do is to find the best deal for you, personally, within the U.S. Because it's most likely here, and they just haven't explored all of their options yet.

Living outside the U.S., at least in third world countries, is a bit scary. ...
Living INSIDE the USA can be a bit scary.

No available / affordable HC + (1) medical event = ... poof, broke
, and homeless. Happens to many.

Please advise our 'options?'

I'm All ears.

>>Age pre-60 retirees, chronic issues (pre-existing conditions)<<
Monthly budget =$3k (including $1.4k/ month in property taxes (up from $90/ month... No CA Prop 13 in our state)

Old 01-23-2018, 06:34 PM

3,641 posts, read 1,018,314 times
I'd like to add, I moved to South Korea to teach English and lived there for 5 years. Not only was I able to travel a lot and have a very active social life, but because one can live pretty cheaply and have housing paid for by your employer, you can easily save a few thousand a month.

I would suggest this to anyone, who doesn't mind living in a big city for a while and is interested in culture, language and meeting new and interesting people. Work a few years, pay off some debt or save quite a nice nest egg.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 PM

17,184 posts, read 21,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Living INSIDE the USA can be a bit scary.

No available / affordable HC + (1) medical event = ... poof, broke
, and homeless. Happens to many.

Please advise our 'options?'

I'm All ears.

>>Age pre-60 retirees, chronic issues (pre-existing conditions)<<
Monthly budget =$3k (including $1.4k/ month in property taxes (up from $90/ month... No CA Prop 13 in our state)
Not sure what it is you want to know from me. I've read many posts by you regarding owning property in several different states and renting them out to tenants, etc. You have always seemed very well informed on how to get the most out of living in many different locations, although I don't remember you ever saying you lived in other countries.

So, I'm confused as to what you want me to explain, that you wouldn't already know.

But, if you are low income, like me, you would qualify for Medicaid and pre-existing conditions would not be a problem. I have CA's version of Medicaid, called Medi-Cal, and pre-existing conditions aren't an issue.

Do you think that if an American moved to a different country, all of their health care would be free?

I guess I'm not quite sure where the animosity is coming from. I could understand, though, that if your property taxes are costing you $1400/month, and your income is only $3000/month, then you have a cash flow problem with your properties, and you might want to sell them.

Oh, and by the way, bankruptcy is always an option if some medical bill is impossible to pay off. No need to become homeless.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 AM

1,683 posts, read 933,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not sure what it is you want to know from me. I've read many posts by you regarding owning property in several different states and renting them out to tenants, etc. You have always seemed very well informed on how to get the most out of living in many different locations, although I don't remember you ever saying you lived in other countries.

So, I'm confused as to what you want me to explain, that you wouldn't already know.

But, if you are low income, like me, you would qualify for Medicaid and pre-existing conditions would not be a problem. I have CA's version of Medicaid, called Medi-Cal, and pre-existing conditions aren't an issue.

Do you think that if an American moved to a different country, all of their health care would be free?

I guess I'm not quite sure where the animosity is coming from. I could understand, though, that if your property taxes are costing you $1400/month, and your income is only $3000/month, then you have a cash flow problem with your properties, and you might want to sell them.

Oh, and by the way, bankruptcy is always an option if some medical bill is impossible to pay off. No need to become homeless.
Most safety net programs are asset based, and going through life broke and dependent on the government is similar to being a caged animal. Someone getting sick, who has nothing, is an entirely different matter than someone working and trying to save for the future. The illegals have been known to use the ER as their primary care provider, while a self employed homeowner would avoid it like the plague.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM

1,363 posts, read 371,249 times
Those whose income is low in the USA can't save the funding to move to these low cost of living countries. Catch-22.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:28 PM

5,153 posts, read 1,350,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Another one of those "cheap and great life" articles which does not consider the tiny issue aka legal status.
Retirement visa is your answer.
Quote:
Several countries offer a retirement visa. These all require at least evidence of adequate funds, a health check, and a police check that shows no criminal record. See the individual countries' immigration department web-sites for details:

Australia
Argentina
Belize (formerly British Honduras)
Brazil
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Guatemala
Honduras
Indonesia
Malaysia
Mauritius
Mexico
New Zealand
Panama (the political system and government-related issues of Panama, including passports and visas are explored here)
Philippines
South Africa
Spain
Sri Lanka
Thailand There is also an Ehow article on these visas.
Tonga
https://wikitravel.org/en/Retiring_abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Those whose income is low in the USA can't save the funding to move to these low cost of living countries. Catch-22.
That would be correct. Most low income folks don’t even have passports and never been overseas.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM

565 posts, read 234,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Thailand sounds good. I understand that the $1000 per month living cost includes a live-in female companion.

It's a lot more than that, even if you are in the country-side.

And, you need a Marriage Visa ($11K in the bank) or a Retirement visa if age 50 or over ($50K in the bank) year-round to stay in country for visa purposes.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,294,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have been to Nicaragua and am going back in a few months. I am no where near retirement age but just love it there. The people are very friendly. They live in extreme poverty, but are not starving as food literally grows on trees. It is also very beautiful, with rain forests, volcanoes, beaches on both the Pacific and Caribbean sides.

And the cost!? OMG. Beer costs a buck at a bar or 25 cents in the store. The food is healthy and dirt dirt cheap. Talk about farm to table. Like 80 cents for breakfast.

I could definitely see myself taking an early retirement and moving there.
You know anything about Popoyo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or