Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,395,429 times

Advertisements

Quit Your Job And Live Abroad: 8 Places So Cheap You Might Not Need To Work

Quit Your Job And Live Abroad: 8 Places So Cheap You Might Not Need To Work | Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 PM

159 posts, read 135,590 times
Hmm. I would do Chiang Mai, Barcelona, Medellín, maybe Nicaragua.
Cayo district in Belize? Oh, no. Some of the most frightening expats I’ve ever seen.
Don’t know about Borneo, never been. Portugal would be okay too, but good luck getting a visa in the eurozone.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:34 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
I tried this and ended up with a fresh new love of my country, and won't ever consider moving anywhere outside the US again. Maybe visit. But, never to live.

I, like many, got into a mindset that I had to leave the entire country to get out of the situation I was in, in a particular city/county/state. But, right within our own country, there are very affordable places. And you'll understand the language, the customs, body language, can trust the police departments, as well as insurance companies and mortgage insurance, just on and on.

My advice is to keep looking for what you want within the US. And travel for fun. Been there. Wish I hadn't sold the condo first. So, add that to my advice - if you do decide to try living outside the US, rent your house for at least a year, while living in a different country (and rent there, too) and then decide if you still want to sell it and stay.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 PM

6,309 posts, read 4,769,857 times
Thailand sounds good. I understand that the $1000 per month living cost includes a live-in female companion.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,087,830 times
I live here in the US and budget $1,925/month.
Most months I save $100-$300, (of that) and don't stint and spend money on things not listed on these VERY vague numbers. ..

Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 AM

2,142 posts, read 1,416,868 times
You may not wish to live there but Sabah in Malaysian Borneo is an amazing place for a holiday. Kota Kinabalu is the state capital. I did not realise til I went there that the largest religion in Sabah is apparently Catholic, that it is extremely multicultural, that the infrastructure is modern and English is very widely and well spoken. Malaysia sits pretty well in the middle of the scale of global wealth. One guide there was the same age as our daughter and the issues they deal with our fairly much the same, cost of housing, cost and availability of childcare. However, unlike our daughter our guide had had little opportunity to travel and had not left Sabah. It is cheap to stay there in five star resorts and the food is incredible. i can think of many worse places to live.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I live here in the US and budget $1,925/month.....
Just my USA Healthcare premium (A(?)CA? (alone) is more than $1,925/ month SO... will be forced to live overseas just to afford HC. (pre-age 65 retiree).

Have lived in Thailand. Not bad, but I don't particularly like traffic or heat... There Healthcare is GREAT and very affordable. Food is quite nice and very economical.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 AM

23,934 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Another one of those "cheap and great life" articles which does not consider the tiny issue aka legal status.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Another one of those "cheap and great life" articles which does not consider the tiny issue aka legal status.
actually... more than 1/2 those locations are actively courting USA 'healthcare-refuges'

North Americans usually arrive with CASH / income / and far less combative natures. (Countries really LIKE that compared to what they usually get for refugees.

Programs such as:
Malaysia My Second Home Official Portal - MM2H Official Portal
10-Year Visas Now Available: Thai Immigration
Residence Visa for Retirees
https://www.expatica.com/pt/finance/...al_908573.html
https://www.belize.com/residency-and...ment-in-belize
https://medellinliving.com/retirement-visa/ ($263 fee + proof of $733USD / month income)

so...
for many of us ... staying the USA is NOT a LT option.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:07 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,724,297 times
I have been to Nicaragua and am going back in a few months. I am no where near retirement age but just love it there. The people are very friendly. They live in extreme poverty, but are not starving as food literally grows on trees. It is also very beautiful, with rain forests, volcanoes, beaches on both the Pacific and Caribbean sides.

And the cost!? OMG. Beer costs a buck at a bar or 25 cents in the store. The food is healthy and dirt dirt cheap. Talk about farm to table. Like 80 cents for breakfast.

I could definitely see myself taking an early retirement and moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living