Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
Currently have Verizon landline/fiostv/internet. Want to cut back on services. Need internet and maybe landline
but don’t need or want the cable/Fios tv.

Is it possible to keep the internet/landline at a reduced price?

The only other service available in my area is Comcast and I dislike them even more than Verizon.

Any suggestions?
If you have a cell phone plan, then get rid of your landline. It serves no other purpose.

That'll save you more cash. But what I've generally found with internet/landline packages are that they're way more expensive than just getting internet alone. So unless you don't have a cell phone plan, pick between having a cell phone or landline is the most cost efficient route as they both serve the same purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:43 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
We have a digital antenna. It cost about $40. We get local stations and a few more (crime, retro TV, game show channel, etc.). It's free and we're totally happy with it. Plus, we have Roku and use its free choice.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:11 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
Cable free is the way to be.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
We have a digital antenna. It cost about $40. We get local stations and a few more (crime, retro TV, game show channel, etc.). It's free and we're totally happy with it. Plus, we have Roku and use its free choice.
Over the air TV works well since most local channels have subchannels with additional programming. Any old rabbit ears will work, although specialty designs are more sensitive and less directional.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:54 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
If anyone is considering getting Sling, Vue, etc. keep in mind you are likely paying the same price as you would for cable, if not more. Not worth it imo.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:42 AM

272 posts, read 184,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
If anyone is considering getting Sling, Vue, etc. keep in mind you are likely paying the same price as you would for cable, if not more. Not worth it imo.
No. We have had Sling for a while and the reason is solely because it is cheaper for us to. We got put in a position at a time when costs were needed to be cut and Sling has done wonders. Cable still has all the best TV options but the cost isn't worth it IMO.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:14 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Not really. I signed up for Sling last fall to watch the MLB playoffs and chose to keep it through the winter because it has a couple of channels that I like. It's $20/month, and when the weather straightens up in the spring I can cancel it with no penalty. Any other option with those channels would be $50/month and I'd be locked into a year contract at the least.

If I didn't have high-speed internet and was going to have to add that as well in order to watch Sling you would have a point. But since I have internet anyway it doesn't apply in my case.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Quote:
We have just dumped Spectrum cable tv for PS Vue. Cable tv is great. I love its simplicity and its features. The dvr is awesome. But we will be saving over 700 bucks a year without it. PS Vue seems to work nearly seemlesly with a roku stick, which we have. The initial investments of antennas and streaming sticks are costly, but not as costly as staying with cable. With a stick you can watch programming on different TVs in your house. And with PS Vue you have accesss to your programming on mobile devices even outside your home. Since you can cancel anytime without fees I figured we should at least try it, with antennas to get the two national/local stations PS Vue doesn’t have access to live. The one thing I am still trying to figure out is the dvr. It’s different on PS Vue. Also, I am considering getting a dvr device just to use on the ota channels we pick up over the antenna. That is another story in itself.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
My parents were paying about $90-95 with tax for Spectrum cable...no DVR and maybe 60 or so channels. I think it’s their cheapest service. I got them almost the same channels for $35 with streaming. That’s about $700/year in their pockets.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:49 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Sell your TV and get a library card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living