U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:26 AM

1,304 posts, read 945,526 times

Advertisements

So I don't have a kitchen right now but I do already have a stand mixer. It's not great BUT it does the job, I got it from a garage sale for $6 so I consider that a pretty good deal. The same one is one that sells at Target or places like that for $30 new.

Well I have some stuff that I've been paying off for layaway and I went to go browse the kitchen mixers to see what differet colors they had. Then I noticed that all the mixers from Kitchenaid were $250 Like, why?! I checked online and yeah, sure enough, most standing mixers I see are in that price range. Like what in the world lol. All it does is mix dough... why is it $250? I'd rather just stick with my cheap one or just use my hand held one... I normally just use the handheld mixer actually since it does a better job.

I can see a really nice stand mixer being $80-$100... ok, that I can see. But why $250 and up?? I just don't get it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:06 AM

3,673 posts, read 4,769,227 times
Image and prestige.

I know a number of young adults who want one or have one, and NEVER bake or cook. But it looks cool occupying half of the counter space in their kitchen!

Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,736,131 times
We have one that my Mother in Law bought for us. It does a lot more than 'just mix dough.'
If you purchase the different attachments, you can make sausages. There are also grinding attachments, slicers, etc. You can even make pasta. You can make your own whipped coconut cream... something you will never find for purchase in the supermarket.

I don't find it prestigious, (that never even occurred to me) I find it a very useful kitchen must-have for those who make much of their own whole food.

It can become a multi-task tool, replacing many of the other gadgets people buy for their kitchen.
We consider it an excellent investment, and are thankful to Mother in Law for the thought

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/m...nts-parts.html

Old 12-04-2017, 05:34 AM

120 posts, read 95,196 times
Like everything else in life, quality always costs money. It was like that a 100 years ago and it is like that today. The machine you are asking about is a multi-tool in one. It can do various things. The ones that are of good quality will cost a lot more and rightfully so - they will literally last you a lifetime.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:40 AM

18,791 posts, read 12,226,584 times
KitchenAid is pretty top of the line and is usually designed to handle larger batches and for heavy-duty stuff like bread dough that a cheap stand mixer can't do...and certainly not a hand mixer. But unless you're regularly doing stuff like that you're fine with what you have. With your regular stand mixer, for example, you can easily cream eggs and sugar for cookie dough and do the heavy mixing yourself with a spoon to get all the flour and stuff mixed in anyway.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 AM

15,691 posts, read 11,454,007 times
KitchenAid mixers have an orbital motion, which involves a more robust gear assembly, hence the higher cost.

If you do not need orbital motion, you can find more inexpensive heavy duty "egg beaters".

You might look into used Oster Kitchen Centers, which have many of the attachments and accessories that KitchenAid has.
_ grinder / sausage maker _ food processor _ dough kneader _ pasta extruder _ ice cream maker _ blender _ salad maker
Generally, not as powerful, but very capable for intermittent home use.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-198...-/122840964487
(BEWARE, there is a later model that does not have the power take off and will not fit all accessories. If it doesn't have a built in handle on top, it's probably the latter model. AVOID.)

Old 12-04-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
We have one that my Mother in Law bought for us. It does a lot more than 'just mix dough.'
If you purchase the different attachments, you can make sausages. There are also grinding attachments, slicers, etc. You can even make pasta. You can make your own whipped coconut cream... something you will never find for purchase in the supermarket.

I don't find it prestigious, (that never even occurred to me) I find it a very useful kitchen must-have for those who make much of their own whole food.

It can become a multi-task tool, replacing many of the other gadgets people buy for their kitchen.
We consider it an excellent investment, and are thankful to Mother in Law for the thought

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/m...nts-parts.html
Oh well I feel dumb then lol. I didn't know you could make pasta in one! So I guess it doesn't come with the attachments?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Image and prestige.

I know a number of young adults who want one or have one, and NEVER bake or cook. But it looks cool occupying half of the counter space in their kitchen!
Yeah, I used to cook from scratch but not so much anymore but when I did I used my standing one all the time but it was mostly for dough & cake batter etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
KitchenAid is pretty top of the line and is usually designed to handle larger batches and for heavy-duty stuff like bread dough that a cheap stand mixer can't do...and certainly not a hand mixer. But unless you're regularly doing stuff like that you're fine with what you have. With your regular stand mixer, for example, you can easily cream eggs and sugar for cookie dough and do the heavy mixing yourself with a spoon to get all the flour and stuff mixed in anyway.
Yeah I just like having one for cake batter homemade pancakes frostings etc. But I'm not using it currently as I don't have a way to bake those things. But even if I wanted one I prolly wouldn't get one bc for me it wouldn't be an investment since I don't bake like crazy. But I did think about getting a pink or baby blue one because they are pretty but at $250? NOPE NOPE lol.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:10 AM

11,478 posts, read 24,072,551 times
They're expensive because they're built to last and they do a lot more than the cheap ones. I think I went through five cheap ones before I saved up for the KitchenAid.

When you get one, the first time you use it for a recipe that you use regularly, you'll be able to tell the difference.

The attachments don't come with it, and some are quite expensive.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They're expensive because they're built to last and they do a lot more than the cheap ones. I think I went through five cheap ones before I saved up for the KitchenAid.

When you get one, the first time you use it for a recipe that you use regularly, you'll be able to tell the difference.

The attachments don't come with it, and some are quite expensive.
hmm, yeah, it sounds like it's more for people who cook from scratch a lot. Maybe in the future I can get one Once I get a kitchen again. For now mine works fine. I think I mostly liked the kitchenaid one bc they are SO pretty. Lol. But right now I can't afford one and have no way to use it anyway.

Thank you for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living