Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Today, I tipped over the beer mug, empty, I was drinking milk from and it broke on the counter top.......they don't make them like they use to. There is another one left on the shelf but I was thinking I would have to go to Ross's or someone and get more, eventually.

For minimalists, though, I understand that they keep storage requirements down by having only a certain number of particular items and no more. Only a flatware set of 4 or even less, for example.

So what do they do when something breaks? Thrift shop for only one item to replace it? Buy an entire set and then reduce the numbers somehow to achieve the necessary storage levels?

As someone who has mix and match kitchen items but without a minimalist mentality, I don't know....but I am curious.

Finally, just a side note on mixing and matching in a cost effective setting. My mother would buy the broken sets of wine and water goblets from the exchange and I imagine she did so at reduced prices. Her formal table may not have been perfectly uniform but it was very colorful. Further, since the glasses tended to be different from each other, there was no need for wine charms for each guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

What do minimalists do when something of a set breaks?
A true minimalist isn't likely to have a "set" of anything.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 AM

354 posts, read 281,127 times
Quote:
So what do they do when something breaks? Thrift shop for only one item to replace it? Buy an entire set and then reduce the numbers somehow to achieve the necessary storage levels?

As someone who has mix and match kitchen items but without a minimalist mentality, I don't know....but I am curious.

Finally, just a side note on mixing and matching in a cost effective setting. My mother would buy the broken sets of wine and water goblets from the exchange and I imagine she did so at reduced prices. Her formal table may not have been perfectly uniform but it was very colorful. Further, since the glasses tended to be different from each other, there was no need for wine charms for each guest.
It's mixed Walmart, thrift store, who knows at this point. We have kids, we don't have a 'formal table' [and I had to Google "wine charm" ].

Old 12-06-2017, 06:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Not a minimalist, but I'd just go to the thrift store and find a suitable replacement. When my kids were younger, our dish set was a bunch of blue and white plates in different shades and patterns that I bought at the thrift stores so it wouldn't matter if they broke one.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There is not much that comes in sets where you can't buy individual pieces. A set of measuring sooons, maybe?

I suspect you just have a set with a mismatched piece. Not that I'd know for sure, not really qualifying as a minimalist. If I buy a set of something where it is important that they match, I buy extra in case one breaks. I have far more crystal water goblets than I will ever use at one time. Seriously not a minimalist attitude.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
If you have a way to identify the piece you could try replacments.com

I dropped a plate from a set we have and shattered it. With a lot of effort I finally found one on that website.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Today, I tipped over the beer mug, empty, I was drinking milk from and it broke on the counter top.......they don't make them like they use to. There is another one left on the shelf but I was thinking I would have to go to Ross's or someone and get more, eventually.
I wouldn't replace it if I have another one. I certainly wouldn't get a set of anything if it was just me.

Being a minimalist means the minimum of everything.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
If I were anal about having a complete set of anything, I'd search on eBay. Everything turns up there sooner or later. In fact, if I were that anal about having a complete set, I'd get a couple extras. But then, I'm no minimalist. As anyone who knows me can plainly tell.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Most of our glass stuff is from Cost Plus, break one, replace one. A little PITA as that requires 3~4 hours of drive time, but we could make due for a couple months till we'd be traveling in that direction anyway.

The rest of our "china" is Fiestaware 2nds, none of it matches anything else anyway, were one to break it's pretty easy to find a single replacement.

I find it handy to just not break stuff. Now, if only I could teach this trick to my wife. She's the reason our glass stuff is from Cost Plus (cheap, can buy single replacements as we only need 2 of anything).

Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"Today, I tipped over the beer mug, empty, I was drinking milk from and it broke on the counter top.......they don't make them like they use to."

<cough> Is that your story? Are you sticking to it?

My guess is that a true minimalist would toss out the other one as well and try to find replacements that wouldn't break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living