Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Tonight, I was thinking about all the expenses my paycheck goes for, how to reduce them and since it was garbage night, that topic came up. Is there a safe way to get rid of one's trash without a service?

I figured no for two reasons. First of all, dumping one's trash in another's bin or dumpster is just taking advantage of them, stealing the service that they paid for.

Secondly, I am sure there has to be some kind of psychological disorder for meticulously sorting one's garbage so they can secretly dump it other "free" receptacles.

So, is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Plenty of people just dump their trash in a rural or isolated area. At least be courteous and put it all in a big 33 gallon trash bag rather than strewing it everywhere.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:51 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
You can make more money, but you can't make more time. To me, doing anything that takes time away from the things I enjoy just to save money is false economy.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:55 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Tonight, I was thinking about all the expenses my paycheck goes for, how to reduce them and since it was garbage night, that topic came up. Is there a safe way to get rid of one's trash without a service?

I figured no for two reasons. First of all, dumping one's trash in another's bin or dumpster is just taking advantage of them, stealing the service that they paid for.

Secondly, I am sure there has to be some kind of psychological disorder for meticulously sorting one's garbage so they can secretly dump it other "free" receptacles.

So, is there?
Or, you could reduce expenses by not buying anything that generates garbage. Compost vegetables, recycle paper, etc.

I take it you are in some situation wherein you aren't paying for garbage collection via your taxes. (We aren't either--the condo complex contracts with a waste disposal company and that is in our fees.)

Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I had a business in a strip mall where we shared a large dumpster, so I cancelled my home service and just took the trash in my truck to work with me to dump it. Sometimes early in the morning I would see people dumping their trash in our dumpster, which is in effect stealing, so I would go out and yell at them. Several years later I moved the business in my home, and due to the difficult logistics of having a dumpster at my home, I decided to go with taking it to the local transfer station. With my truck, going once a month cost me $18, less than a 3rd of the cost of residential home pickup service. It did take time, but gas cost was insignificant. I have since turned the business into more of a hobby, and got a good job, so have gone back to the home pickup. The real costs that people could do without if they cannot afford it are cell phones and cable TV.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:03 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I don't really understand that question - you want to contact the city to not get trash service anymore? If so - this isn't possible. You HAVE to have trash service. BUT, you can downgrade to a smaller bin. I did that.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't really understand that question - you want to contact the city to not get trash service anymore? If so - this isn't possible. You HAVE to have trash service. BUT, you can downgrade to a smaller bin. I did that.
I believe the OP is in rural TX with private hauling service under contract. So she can cancel.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:

It's actually illegal in many states, especially if it is a commercial business dumpster. It's also not well investigated, much less enforced.

I suppose if you had it bagged in plastic grocery store bags & hit up a car wash or two it wouldn't be very noticeable.

Quote:

So, is there?
Don't you have a law enforcement background? Because the majority of those who do this are not motivated out of a psychiatric disorder but more so are motivated to cover up illegal activity.

Most places, once you remove your trash from the house & place it in an outside trash can (especially at the curb or in an alley) it is no longer covered under typical search & seizure laws. Meaning; a warrant is necessary to obtain evidence from the trash can inside your house but not the one in your alley.

People involved in identity theft who throw out other people's mail, receipts, cards, etc ... are asking to get popped. Same with a dope dealer who puts out the trash with multiple baggies containing residue in it. It's sort of "Illegal Activities 101" knowledge. An amateur mistake.

And if you were to sort & group your trash for ... er ... redistribution, you would want to first shred anything that could link the trash with you.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Not paying for trash will save you how much a month? $20? Not worth the hoops and inconvenience to otherwise safely dispose of it.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:

So, is there?
You could find out if there is a town "dump" or center where they allow residents to take their own trash. Sometimes it's free, sometimes they charge you. Do a web search for your county on trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living