Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:15 AM

23,555 posts, read 13,773,087 times

Advertisements

I had to drive south yesterday. On my way back, through another city, I took an exit for one store, which became two stores and then after the exit, two more stores were added to the detour.

Bought day old bread at Wally world. Stocked up on cans of sea food at a dollar type store. Bought floor screens at a furnishing store (a primary exit selection) which at check out were $40 lower than I thought. Picked up a piece of necessary ranch equipment at the primary exit store. My reason to stop at that store wasn't for what I bought but only to see their gun selection, but once I saw it, the decision was made because it was a needed piece, in the anti rattlesnake department, of equipment.

Is that a sign of frugal living, to stuff our stocks at stores if we find ourselves in their vicinity? It may not be something of "do you really need it now?" but rather "it's there, we are here, so let's get it to extend our stocks".

The floor screens were on my long term list but as that the store in question is in another city and they weren't critical, I wasn't going to make a special trip of it.

Personally, I think such an attitude comes from my romantic life, of stories of a ship pulling into port and using the opportunity to stock up on fresh fruit and vegetables. Come to the surface, turn on the sensors, and collect all the data one can.

Things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 06:53 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,027,145 times
wut?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
wut?
Okay, looking at it one way, is it frugal or not to do only shop on dedicated trips or to take advantage when we find ourselves in a location of cheap goods, especially those goods that are storeable?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:13 AM

23,553 posts, read 70,058,150 times
There are some times when using that window of opportunity is vital. I remember many times when I decided to wait and return, only to find what I had wanted completely gone. Good bargains rarely around around long unless a store is completely dead and the relatives weren't called.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,771,078 times
If you are buying things you have already determined you need and intend to buy, it's 'frugal' to shop carefully for the best bargains (not necessarily the cheapest when you consider price versus value).

If you are impulse-buying things you only think you might have a use for, but which are not really in your budgeted spending plan, it is not frugal, regardless of the price.

Habitually purchasing a lot of cheap, but, unnecessary items, could be a precursor to hoarding, not frugal living.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-02-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-02-2018, 09:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 47,608,287 times
Filed away in the back of my head, I keep a list of things I need, but not so critically that I have to get into the car right now to go and get them. If I came across those items at an acceptible price, I will buy them right then.

I'm am very unlikely to buy anything, no matter how attractive the price, if it is not on my "needed" list.

Some things, like when shopping at Costco, if you see it and you need it, you'd better buy it right now because it will be gone tomorrow. I don't count on being able to go back and get it next week.

One of the points of being frugal is that I have the cash available to buy those "needed" items immediately if I happen upon them. I don't have to wait until payday hoping it will still be there.

Keeping a list is a lot different than impulse buying. I don't care how good a bargain, if it is not on my list, I don't buy it. I don't need any general stuff (and iron clad rule, I never buy anything that needs to be dusted)

Old 02-02-2018, 10:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 47,608,287 times
OP, I don't live in town, so my shopping trips involve multiple stores. I will organize my shopping and a route around the stores, based on what I intend to buy. Like, if I need frozen food, the shopping map has that store as the last stop.

Food is always on the "needed" list, so I snap up any good bargains on the things we eat, even if I am not out that day food shopping. I also like to try new foods, so that is an item on the "needed" list, and I will buy it if I want to try it.

Right now, I need a bell for my dog's collar, so I have stopped at a couple of different stores to look, but only if I am driving right by that store. I am not going to make a special trip to look for one.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 AM

419 posts, read 385,370 times
I think it's fine if you're buying items that you absolutely know you'll use within six months (my personal cut-off point). Stocking up on sale items is a major savings strategy for me. However, if you have to put the purchases on a credit card that cannot be paid off immediately, then it doesn't make sense to buy for the future. You might end up paying more in credit card interest than any savings from a sale.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
I think it's fine if you're buying items that you absolutely know you'll use within six months (my personal cut-off point). Stocking up on sale items is a major savings strategy for me. However, if you have to put the purchases on a credit card that cannot be paid off immediately, then it doesn't make sense to buy for the future. You might end up paying more in credit card interest than any savings from a sale.
I don't do credit card interest.......strictly AMEX here.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 PM

24,117 posts, read 10,438,563 times
Hoarding because it is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living