U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 PM

24,730 posts, read 26,794,844 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest shock for me was that I really didn't fully believe or understand that most people weren't frugal "live below your means" types of people like my parents. Not only were most people not like that, but for a lot of folks having savings or getting out of debt wasn't even a goal, maybe a distant ideal for a lot of people, but not something they really believed was possible or worth the effort. That was really hard for me to wrap my head around because it was so different from the way I grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM

11,054 posts, read 11,460,740 times
People need to realize that being frugal does not mean hoarding money, it means investing in your future. My parents were very frugal, but they bought a farm, tiled it to improve drainage, helped organize and fund an irrigation district to turn it from dry land into irrigated land, completely remodeled the house, and built outbuildings. When they were 50 years old I was shocked to walk in on them drinking beer. When I commented on it, they said, "We always liked beer, we just couldn't afford it."

Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 PM

22,712 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelSmith View Post
My parents were the complete opposites. My mom was a chronic spender and my dad saved money and cut corners everywhere he could so I love to shop but I am also really good at saving. The shopping habit comes in waves.
My parents. Dad had a good job as a department manager at a heavy equipment company, but he'd stop and pick up a penny from the sidewalk. "No use letting that go to waste."

Mom knew how to be frugal, but she really liked to spend. Sometimes it made sense, like buy a good tool or pair of shoes, but most of the time it didn't.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think the biggest shock for me was that I really didn't fully believe or understand that most people weren't frugal "live below your means" types of people like my parents. Not only were most people not like that, but for a lot of folks having savings or getting out of debt wasn't even a goal, maybe a distant ideal for a lot of people, but not something they really believed was possible or worth the effort. That was really hard for me to wrap my head around because it was so different from the way I grew up.
That's what a sheltered life will do for you. By the time I became an adult, not much shocked me.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 AM

24,730 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's what a sheltered life will do for you. By the time I became an adult, not much shocked me.
Well, maybe it was. It wasn't like they didn't try to tell me, but it didn't sink in for me until I really experienced it first hand. Part of it was probably that I was always more of a saver to begin with.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Well, maybe it was. It wasn't like they didn't try to tell me, but it didn't sink in for me until I really experienced it first hand. Part of it was probably that I was always more of a saver to begin with.
First hand is the best experience.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Hunger and wearing clothes that made the kids ridicule me

Old 05-01-2018, 06:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 546,112 times
A lot, mostly inherent personality from my dad because my dad is really frugal. My mom's the spender.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,813,690 times
I learned my frugality from my parents. My parents both came from large families with a lot of kids. My dad's family was extremely poor. It was more of a hand to mouth existence for my grandparents in the early years. My grandfather was very resourceful. He was able to pass that trait on and my family has put it to good use to acquire a better standard of living.

My mother's family didn't have a lot of money either. I blame some of that on my grandfather. He was apparently a good business man. He was big into donating to the Catholic church. Some of that donated money could have been used at home to help his family.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
I am usually pretty frugal. It's not something my parents explicitly taught but just living in a house with their lifestyle sort of set the way that I am. And once I was in MS/HS, we didn't really have money for stuff. Paycheck to paycheck.

I do spend money though. They still don't spend too much money but I work two jobs and not only do I save a lot but I try to enjoy it as well. We live in a HCOLA and my husband and I, most months, try to live off of one income even though we're not high earners. Except for certain months (taxes, big purchase) or times (vacations), the dollars are saved.

I also track every dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or