Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,645,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
What are you 'cord cutters' using as antennas for your Over The Air channels?

We readjusted our cable/internet service plan in April to drop the monthly cost from ~$180 to ~$105. Now, only two months later, the cost is back up to $125 with no changes by us! Just ComCast's routine price jacking & gouging.

We are about 35 air miles from the cluster of broadcast towers in the NW corner of Detroit and already are subscribers to Netflix.

Looking for a high quality antenna which won't make our house look like it has an airplane tethered to its roof. Any need for a Rotator?

Thanks,

They did that **** to me too. (not comcast but dish network) Every other month, they were slowly increasing my bill until my monthly bill was over $30 more than the original monthly bill. I asked them to lower it and they knocked $20 from it.

Two months later, it jumped up $10. I called and asked them why. Apparently, networks like FOX, ABC, NBC, the over the air networks, needed to get paid, so we, the consumers, had to foot the bill. I rebutted that my bill was protected by the "price lock." She refuted that since I lowered my bill, I was no longer eligible for that price lock. I said screw it and cancelled my plan. I had to pay the ETO but it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,684,922 times
Quote:
What are you 'cord cutters' using as antennas for your Over The Air channels?
I haven't had cable in a long time. I bought a flat indoor antenna. I mounted it on a window behind a shade. I have a booster as close to the antenna as possible. I then utilized the existing coax in the house to get the signal around. I run the signal down to the box mounted on the side of the house. There's essentially two circuits in the house. One from my ISP to my cable modem and then the other is the antenna signal to all other remaining TVs in the house.

In my case, all stations I care to receive are with a 1° arc, so I don't need a rotator. And I get them all - they are about 25 miles away. There are times when the signal has problems and I'm not sure if getting a roof mount antenna would fix the problem. It isn't like I'm losing the signal at times due to weather. I feel like at a certain time, every day, the tower drops its power level a db or two and then my signal is sketchy.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,149,497 times
"I feel like at a certain time, every day, the tower drops its power level a db or two and then my signal is sketchy."

If you have an airport in the area, it could be interference from reflected signals bouncing off planes landing and taking off.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:11 AM

37,328 posts, read 61,146,748 times
We can get one TV station here, it is a CBS affiliate. Using the old High-power analog signals the reception would fade in and out at times. When they shifted to the new lo-power digital broadcast, now folks in our town can only receive on clear sunny days. With digital, you have to get all of the signal or else it does not work.

We have online access through our landline. It is fairly low speed [2 to 3 Mbs] but enough to watch youtube and netflix.

There is no cable in our town.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Do you have the Overdrive app (free) on your phone; you may be able to download both ebooks and audiobooks from your library on it if your library is associated with it. Won’t help with the dvds, but may help save a trip. Bookbub has some free ebooks too if you havent seen that yet—it will download to the Kindle app.

You may be aware of these already. If so, never mind!

Best wishes.

Added: I have over-the-air antenna also. I get Grit, Me tv, cozi, escape, scifi channel, local news and a few others. I don’t watch much tv, though.

Overdrive works on my Kindle tablet also.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,911,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We can get one TV station here, it is a CBS affiliate. Using the old High-power analog signals the reception would fade in and out at times. When they shifted to the new lo-power digital broadcast, now folks in our town can only receive on clear sunny days. With digital, you have to get all of the signal or else it does not work.

We have online access through our landline. It is fairly low speed [2 to 3 Mbs] but enough to watch youtube and netflix.

There is no cable in our town.
Isn't there satellite internet access available?

Of course you will then be facing the price escalations all of us cable or satellite TV customers endure.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 AM

37,328 posts, read 61,146,748 times
Quote:
Isn't there satellite internet access available?

Of course you will then be facing the price escalations all of us cable or satellite TV customers endure.
I am told those systems are terribly expensive.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,684,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

If you have an airport in the area, it could be interference from reflected signals bouncing off planes landing and taking off.
Well, there is a flight path in an approach to the airport that would cross the direct line from me to the broadcast tower. However, the issue happens nearly like clockwork. Planes are flying in/out of that airport all hours of the day, but I only seem to get this problem from 8pm onwards. I can nearly set my watch on it. I'd swear it nearly lines up with channels switching from the local programming to national programming.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I returned the cable box and equipment for the phone and internet. I reduced my budget by $162. I should receive most of my payment back for the month since the billing cycle began on 4/30.

I plugged in my antenna. It works beautifully. I watch Dvds that I bought and I get from the library. Zero dollars.
b b b b but now, you won't be able to watch the stormy daniels shows on CNN.......

Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,020,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I returned the cable box and equipment for the phone and internet. I reduced my budget by $162. I should receive most of my payment back for the month since the billing cycle began on 4/30.

I plugged in my antenna. It works beautifully. I watch Dvds that I bought and I get from the library. Zero dollars.
Good for you!!! I did the same thing and don't miss the bill that increased every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living